Old 09 February 2014, 06:59   #1

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
A couple of rod holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribcraft4.8 View Post
Good Afternoon Septicsac . I see your leaning towards the Ribcraft 4.8 . My previous rib was a Humber 6 m and for launching and retrieving reason I down sized to the Ribcraft 4.8 Last summer we holidayed in West Cork and on several days ber,myself and the two kids aged 7 and 13 went out to the Fastnet Rock whale watching And fishing .I have the Honda 50 four stroke on the back which I think is the perfect marriage for both power and fuel consumption . Im living in Cork if your down this direction touch base and you can have a look . I have it set up for fishing so it will give you a few ideas or drop me your email address and I can send you a few photos. Best of Luck
Ey up
I am planning to do a bit of fishing from my ribcraft 4.8!. I have as much fishing experience as boating . All I have caught is mackerel by dangling shiny things in the sea !
Ant tips on getting set up gratefully received . The boat has an A frame
Old 09 February 2014, 07:34   #2

Town: Cork Ireland
Boat name: Rambler
Make: Valiant PT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki Df 60 a
Good morning Stevedonna .I recently purchased some chrome rocket launcher rod holders x4 and fixed 3 of them to the the grab handle on the back of the passenger jockey seat and fixed the 4th to the chrome surround on the wind shield in front . I also bought the latest Garmin Echo hds fish finder 5 inch screen
Which is a fabulous bit of kit . I find the 4th rod holder position very helpful as a lot my fishing is done on sight on the spur of the moment .I dont have to get up take of the kill cord and get the rod from the back of the boat .The reason for 3 rod holder at the back is I tend to bring 2 rods and a net so everything has its place and is securely seated for the journey to and from. I also converted the inside of the second jockey seat to a tackle box so I have nothing on the floor rolling around .

Regards
Colin
Old 09 February 2014, 07:44   #3

Just remembered I had a few photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140209_084329.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	90262
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20140209_084224.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	90260   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140209_084312.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	90261  
Old 09 February 2014, 07:46   #4

Quote:
Good morning Stevedonna .I recently purchased some chrome rocket launcher rod holders x4 and fixed 3 of them to the the grab handle on the back of the passenger jockey seat and fixed the 4th to the chrome surround on the wind shield in front . I also bought the latest Garmin Echo hds fish finder 5 inch screen Which is a fabulous bit of kit . I find the 4th rod holder position very helpful as a lot my fishing is done on sight on the spur of the moment .I dont have to get up take of the kill cord and get the rod from the back of the boat .The reason for 3 rod holder at the back is I tend to bring 2 rods and a net so everything has its place and is securely seated for the journey to and from. I also converted the inside of the second jockey seat to a tackle box so I have nothing on the floor rolling around . Regards Colin
Colin
Thanks for info . Did you buy the rod holders on line ? Any photos of them fitted ? I love the idea of tackle being under rear seat but not sure I can I have a fuel tank under each seat . I am and intend to stay paranoid about the kill cord so I like the idea of having one on the front . I don't have a windscreen so might struggle
Steve
Old 09 February 2014, 08:26   #5

Name:	image-1228127615.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	90267

Name:	image-869172920.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	90268

Name:	image-2422574523.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	90269

Sorry sent last reply before I saw photos nice looking boat

Where would you recommend fitting mine on the A frame ?
Old 09 February 2014, 08:38   #6

If it was me I would fit them to the back grab hold on the second jockey seat . If they happen to fall from there well there's no slpash. I have seen guys missing the rod holders on the A-frame
Old 09 February 2014, 08:40   #7

Quote:
If it was me I would fit them to the back grab hold on the second jockey seat . If they happen to fall from there well there's no slpash. I have seen guys missing the rod holders on the A-frame
Cheers I thought there must be reason . Makes sense . Where did you get your rod holders from there seems to be millions of them ?
Old 09 February 2014, 08:54   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Ey up
I am planning to do a bit of fishing from my ribcraft 4.8!. I have as much fishing experience as boating . All I have caught is mackerel by dangling shiny things in the sea !
Ant tips on getting set up gratefully received . The boat has an A frame
If you're going to the west coast then you could catch a variety of fish, red gurnard, pollock, saithe or coley, haddock on occasion, skate, etc.

Baits all important. Either go down to beach at low tide and where you see the sand casts on the beach - and dig for rag worm. I don't particularly like to handle them (reminds me of the film Dune) but the fish love them!

Alternatively you can buy peeler crab and squid from a local fish tackle shop. All baits need to be kept fresh, so keep them in a cool box and covered with newspaper. If you're going after pollock, then they'll take lures, so a jelly lure or spinner will work too.

Hook wise, then anything that's chemically sharpened with a barb will do, size 3/0 or 4/0. Do a search for setting up tackle, line, and weights.
Old 09 February 2014, 08:54   #9

At the boat show in London 3 years ago .Thats when it was worth going to . I tried to look up a receipt but no joy
Old 09 February 2014, 10:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
If you're going to the west coast then you could catch a variety of fish, red gurnard, pollock, saithe or coley, haddock on occasion, skate, etc. Baits all important. Either go down to beach at low tide and where you see the sand casts on the beach - and dig for rag worm. I don't particularly like to handle them (reminds me of the film Dune) but the fish love them! Alternatively you can buy peeler crab and squid from a local fish tackle shop. All baits need to be kept fresh, so keep them in a cool box and covered with newspaper. If you're going after pollock, then they'll take lures, so a jelly lure or spinner will work too. Hook wise, then anything that's chemically sharpened with a barb will do, size 3/0 or 4/0. Do a search for setting up tackle, line, and weights.
Just been out spending money on waterproof trousers !! Really only interested in catching to eat so pollock , haddock sounds good . In past holidays up there we have caught mackerel and picked muscles and ate them on our own beech with a glass of wine or a beer , happy days , happy memories .

Thanks for advice I think I will order a couple of rod holders and then perhaps have a couple of goes to see how they work . We will be on jura and mull this year . When we last went to jura I bought some lobster off Ronald. McDonald !! Don't think they were winding the English tourist up !!

There was also a decent fish tackle come veg spa shop in craighouse so might be able to get some gear there.

I have been given a rod and tackle box with a lot of stuff in it but. It looks like it was for sea fishing but it might be gear more suitable for fishing off a beech .
Old 09 February 2014, 13:01   #11

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
there are so many holder avail, it depends on where you want them mounted.. will post some pics, for a seat mounted and a frame such as yours. I get them from Boatworld in Sheffield..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	90283   Click image for larger version

Name:	ribcraft 4.8 2012 016.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	90285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	90286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	90287  
Old 09 February 2014, 13:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
there are so many holder avail, it depends on where you want them mounted.. will post some pics, for a seat mounted and a frame such as yours
Mat
Thanks for that presumably the holders in the photo are universal I.e could fit on the thinner chrome of the jockey seat or the fatter A frame . Where do you guys buy them from ? Because of my location I think it will have to be on line
Steve
Old 09 February 2014, 13:16   #13

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
for 2 inch frame it was boat work as above and for the smaller ones it was.. hang n will find it
Old 09 February 2014, 14:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
for 2 inch frame it was boat work as above and for the smaller ones it was.. hang n will find it
Think I have found one suitable for 1" tube
ASAP-supplies
Perko 1215 clamp on
£50.13
Plus VAT !!!!
Expensive first fish

Your thoughts
Old 09 February 2014, 14:13   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
When we last went to jura I bought some lobster off Ronald. McDonald !! Don't think they were winding the English tourist up !!
Ronald McDonald in Craighouse? Nah, he exists and an excellent bloke he is too! He played a pivotal role in my Evacuation of Jura in the aftermath of the Great Imploding Leg Disaster of 2011.

Old 09 February 2014, 15:01   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Ronald McDonald in Craighouse? Nah, he exists and an excellent bloke he is too! He played a pivotal role in my Evacuation of Jura in the aftermath of the Great Imploding Leg Disaster of 2011.
He seemed a right enough bloke , he has a fund raising seafood meal once a year in aid of cancer research if I remember right . We were heading home on the day of it it but a few boats went out the day before fishing for the meal and I went with them . Great day . What happened to your leg or am I best not knowing
Old 09 February 2014, 15:54   #17

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
He seemed a right enough bloke , he has a fund raising seafood meal once a year in aid of cancer research if I remember right . We were heading home on the day of it it but a few boats went out the day before fishing for the meal and I went with them . Great day . What happened to your leg or am I best not knowing

For God's sake don't get him started!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2014, 15:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
For God's sake don't get him started!! Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Sorry don't know many of you .
What was it a graze
Old 09 February 2014, 16:17   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Sorry don't know many of you .
What was it a graze
More of a close shave! I was hopping!
Old 09 February 2014, 16:22   #20

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Made mine from a couple of lengths of 2" stainless pipe and attached with a stainless pipe clamp.

I've attached to the a frame but do have a bungy on the bottom of the rod to ensure they stay where I want them.

I'll get some pics next time I'm up there.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote