Old 26 August 2006, 16:27   #31

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Why don't you put a single pole on the other side of the transom? It wont be on the centre line so not strictly correct but it'll only be off centre by 500mm or so and viewing your boat from a distance, that'll be neither here not there. And you can still lean against it when having a pee.
That's one option I'm thinking about, to saw up the existing A frame (its not much use for anything else) to leave a pole about 2ft above the transom, weld a bracket on the top for the VHF aerial and put the nav lights on that just below the aerial. The only thing about having them on the same pole is that they would be so close together you'd not be able to distinguish red from green so you wouldn't see which way I was going. It's academic anyway as I don't intend to use it at night ... but I do need an aerial mount, and sooner rather than later.

Old 26 August 2006, 16:42   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
That's one option I'm thinking about, to saw up the existing A frame (its not much use for anything else) to leave a pole about 2ft above the transom, weld a bracket on the top for the VHF aerial and put the nav lights on that just below the aerial. The only thing about having them on the same pole is that they would be so close together you'd not be able to distinguish red from green so you wouldn't see which way I was going. It's academic anyway as I don't intend to use it at night ... but I do need an aerial mount, and sooner rather than later.
eh.... your nav lights should have reflectors on them (or shaped lenses) so the side lights (red/green) are only visible if approaching from around 120 deg either side of the bow. The only way you should be able to see both lights is if you are heading straight for your bow (or near enough).

Even reusing your existing lights should be possible although not as pretty as a combined light. Only problem I can fosee with sticking coms on top of the light is you need the white light to be "all round" - so normally goes at the top of a pole.

There is allowance in the regs for mounting lights off the centre line where it is not practical to do so (which without your a frame it probably isn't).
Old 26 August 2006, 17:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
eh.... your nav lights should have reflectors on them (or shaped lenses) so the side lights (red/green) are only visible if approaching from around 120 deg either side of the bow. The only way you should be able to see both lights is if you are heading straight for your bow (or near enough).

Even reusing your existing lights should be possible although not as pretty as a combined light. Only problem I can fosee with sticking coms on top of the light is you need the white light to be "all round" - so normally goes at the top of a pole.

There is allowance in the regs for mounting lights off the centre line where it is not practical to do so (which without your a frame it probably isn't).
One of them has - the other one is broken

I realised what they were supposed to be like when looking at various websites a little while ago for replacements. 'Kin hell some of them are expensive! I saw a cheap "universal" set in the chandlery I visited while over there on holiday, wish I had bought them now!
Old 26 August 2006, 18:10   #34

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
The only thing about having them on the same pole is that they would be so close together you'd not be able to distinguish red from green so you wouldn't see which way I was going.
Old 27 August 2006, 07:20   #35

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Loupy Lou
Make: Yamaha 480R
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP
These might help you
light regs

lights

Though again I have seen tri lights much cheaper some where else - cannot remember where though at moment
Old 27 August 2006, 07:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
It's ok, ignore me - I was talking blx....

Neat little all in one port/stbd light here on order from Marinestore Chandlery and then it'll be time to knock up a pole out of the old A frame

Thanks
Old 27 August 2006, 17:51   #37

Town: Ilford
Boat name: El Rekko
Make: DUX
Length: under 3m
Engine: 8hp OB
Stephen, if you wish to comply exactly with the IRPCS I believe you will need to ensure that your white masthead all round light is mounted 1 metre above your sidelights....from annex 1 of the RYA IRPCS book.

Additionally you may want to check price and availability of replacement bulbs for the lamp you are considering. I had one like it once and the festoon bulb within is a special....hard to get on a wet winter night and expensive. Not your normal car type festoon bulb. I am not certain but you may want to check it out.
Old 27 August 2006, 18:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick
Stephen, if you wish to comply exactly with the IRPCS I believe you will need to ensure that your white masthead all round light is mounted 1 metre above your sidelights....from annex 1 of the RYA IRPCS book.

Additionally you may want to check price and availability of replacement bulbs for the lamp you are considering. I had one like it once and the festoon bulb within is a special....hard to get on a wet winter night and expensive. Not your normal car type festoon bulb. I am not certain but you may want to check it out.
Thanks - I've already ordered them unfortunately... but I'll check out the bulbs when they arrive. It is mostly for compliance rather than because I actually need them - I don't intend to do any night time travelling and I don't expect that to change - nice sunny days are where my ribbing belongs

The info I got from the harbourmaster was:

"I quote below Rule 23 (Lights for Power-driven Vessels Underway), Section (c)(i) from the Prevention of Collisions Regulations:

a power-driven vessel of less than 12 metre in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) (which are masthead,stern and sidelights as required by a ship) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.

There is a further Section (c) (iii) which might be helpful:

the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may be displaced from the fore and aft centreline of the vessel if centreline fitting is not practicable, provided that the sidlights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centreline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or the all-round white light."

I'm honestly not sure whether the regs here are the same as UK, based on it, or completely different, but I think as long as I've got lights, I doubt anybody is going to squawk too much about exactly where they are. Hope not anyway

Found this which is interesting - gotta go and read it now....
Old 27 August 2006, 18:52   #39

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The bulbs are like normal festoon bulbs but they have a dimple in the end rather than a point. However, it doesn't take much, with a pair of pliers, to re-engineer the contacts.