Click Here to Login

Old 20 August 2008, 19:52   #41

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Guys if you can be arsed to read any of this clowns other posts you will soon realise that the sad thing is he actually is serious.

And I agree if it were not so ridiculous his post should be pulled however even the most inexperience Ribber will see this information for what it is.... Meaningless garbage.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2008, 22:03   #42
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post

Garbage advice like this should be yanked from the thread. I'm not sure if he was trying to be funny or not, but it has no place here.
Actually,I think it does have a place here-as a myth to be denounced. Some people genuinely don't know any better. Take a few minutes and think about some of the things non boating mates have said-or some of the things you see regularly while afloat- and there's probably quite a few things that rival that in there.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2008, 19:17   #43

Boat name: Chubby Rain 2
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 70 (RNLI)
A Great big thanks guys

I have taken some very good points from this

Especially the idea that you need to think about it BEFORE it happens

What a great service this forum is
Old 21 August 2008, 21:20   #44

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
having once capsized in surf many years ago with a 4 metre rib just off the shore line we were lucky as we were all wearing wet suits after being diving all day but it was still a shock to us all .we were in about 10 feet of water ,one of the crew was inside the upturned hull and when he emergerd his eyes were streaming from the petrol fumes that had leaked out from the air vent ,which took him about a good 5 mins before he could see proper ,the anchor had dropped out and was dragging which was a good thing as the boat was kept into the oncoming waves until we could stand up we righted the boat at the shore line and my main concern that everone was ok but shaken, was the yamaha engine ,we poured fresh water over and around the fly wheel and points area then removed the plugs and flushed out any water ,drained the carb and tried to start it ,it fired up for a few moments but a lot of water has entered the via fuel tanks air vent ,we called it a day and when getting home i washed out the engine with a hose ,took off the flywheel and cleaned the electrics fresh fuel and engine ran great .i have heard of instances where
a two stroke engine has sucked that much water in that it has hydrolicly locked up its self , i dont think that recovering a dry box or grab bag would be that difficult as the boat dident float all that deep in the water and the guy who was under the boat said that he could see around under the hull until the petrol got into his eyes .even so it was about 10 to 15 seconds before we realised what had happened ,incidently the rnli starting procedure after capsize on the old d class sib . after draining the carbs the engine has to be pulled over 50 to 60 times with the plugs removed before starting and they have sealed flexi fuel bladders . have a look on you tube as there are a few cips of rnli crew training also of an atlantic class in very heavy surf with a stall on both outboard engines, makes exciting viewing when at home on dry land .
Old 08 September 2008, 18:42   #45

Boat name: Chubby Rain 2
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 70 (RNLI)
I will have a look at tube later

Thanks for this
Old 13 September 2008, 23:59   #46
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Forgive my ignorance but is it not possible to buy a self righting device like the RNLI use in this video?
(it's around half way through the video)
Old 14 September 2008, 00:41   #47
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Forgive my ignorance but is it not possible to buy a self righting device like the RNLI use in this video?
(it's around half way through the video)

Yes-but you need an A-frame that it'll fit on and is beefy enough to take the stress of it and neither the frame or the self righting device are cheap(I'm now cursing selling the one I had).

You've still got to get the engines restarted afterwards too.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 01:09   #48
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
True.
Old 14 September 2008, 02:57   #49

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
They aren't always that much use

They are manually inflated for safety reasons and by the time this crew got themselves sorted they were swept back onto the beach!!!

BTW this is a longer version of the infamous lifeboat flip video - it shows the full launch.
Old 15 September 2008, 12:01   #50

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
he emergerd his eyes were streaming from the petrol fumes that had leaked out from the air vent
Quote:
the anchor had dropped out and was dragging
Good points, maybe getting clear isnt a bad idea?! It's made me think about what would or would not fall out of an inverted dive boat. I'll think about this.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 20:10   #51

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
leaving the boat is asking not to be found. Stay with the boat, sit on the upturned hull and you present a much bigger target for sar units. Over the years there have been a number of incidents where one guy has stayed with the boat whilst the other swam for help. Often the guy with the boat has been rescued whilst the swimmer has been lost. A couple of years ago a training boat rolled on a course in the uk, a rib. According to the investigation afterwards the boat was difficult to right afterwards in the dock even with a crane cos of basically "stiction" between the boat and the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Indeed...safety is no joking matter
So what are you saying - did you believe your post to be serious advice
Old 22 September 2008, 23:29   #52

you will stand a better chance in righting a sib than a rib of similar size owing to the fact of what wavelength just said about suction or stiction unless the sea was rough ,with a sib the boat will twist allowing air in but ribs are more rigid , though i think that even wearing a lifejacket you could get under the hull to recover flares ect , have a look on you tube under rnli capsize theres quite a few vids now that show both sibs and ribs upside down on training exercises both in the pool and open water .though wearing a dry suit and knowing that you are going upsidedown helps .if you are that concerned about going over have got no chance in righting your boat and you carry flare containers strapped or fastened to the a frame you could have or make a quick release so they could be kicked free or recovered by a lanyard ,inside a spare h/h vhf and a couple of survival bags, though trying to hold to the top of a rolling hull it wont be camping but could save your life .
Old 23 September 2008, 09:20   #53
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
you will stand a better chance in righting a sib than a rib of similar size owing to the fact of what wavelength just said about suction or stiction unless the sea was rough ,with a sib the boat will twist allowing air in but ribs are more rigid , though i think that even wearing a lifejacket you could get under the hull to recover flares ect , have a look on you tube under rnli capsize theres quite a few vids now that show both sibs and ribs upside down on training exercises both in the pool and open water .though wearing a dry suit and knowing that you are going upsidedown helps .if you are that concerned about going over have got no chance in righting your boat and you carry flare containers strapped or fastened to the a frame you could have or make a quick release so they could be kicked free or recovered by a lanyard ,inside a spare h/h vhf and a couple of survival bags, though trying to hold to the top of a rolling hull it wont be camping but could save your life .
do you think that it is easier if you have a short transom so that their is less air pocket?
Old 23 September 2008, 09:54   #54

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
You could deflate a toob section near the bow (which will be sitting higher anyway) to break the vacuum.
Old 23 September 2008, 12:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
do you think that it is easier if you have a short transom so that their is less air pocket?
i think it would help a lot ,though i suppose lifting an upturned boat straight up with a crane would have a greater suction effect than rolling it over on one side,and i would imagine that a certain amount of air will vent through the self bailers ,