Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Blimey and I thought I had some tube problems

I feel sorry for you and I must admit from all the stories I have heard on here I'm not sure I'd ever bother getting a RIB retubed, has anybody actually ever had it done successfully?!

I think I'd chuck it away and buy another one, shipping it 16,000 miles to get a retube and then finding out it was dud and needed sending back would be toooo much to bear...
Depends who does it - Henshaws or Paul Tilley and you won't have any probs!!!

Old 02 August 2006, 18:55   #12

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
given the same situation and presuming the Valiant was a similar replacement for your boat , I would have had the engines transferred , then kept the valiant untill you were completely satisfied with your retube .
I doesn't sound good ,
only other question is couldn't the johnson have been fixed so you at least had a reliable boat to use .

Old 02 August 2006, 20:31   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Depends who does it - Henshaws or Paul Tilley and you won't have any probs!!!
Fair enough - have heard many good things about both those - though I think if I ever did send it back to UK I would probably send it to Humber, albeit with specific instructions on where I wanted reinforcement fitted after my experiences a few months ago!

One of these days hopefully I will be able to scrape together enough cash for a nice shiny new one though
Old 03 August 2006, 04:36   #14

Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Would anyone else have allowed their engine be swapped over twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
given the same situation and presuming the Valiant was a similar replacement for your boat , I would have had the engines transferred , then kept the valiant untill you were completely satisfied with your retube .
Given the build-up to that point I'm satisfied my instincts were right about not allowing that. What would have been the legal situation re ownership when the two Lennon boys rode in to town at noon to reclaim their boat with my Mariner on it?
I've no doubt the outcome would have been the same except my photographs would show my engine in a heap of control cables on the grass beside the hull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
I doesn't sound good ,
only other question is couldn't the johnson have been fixed so you at least had a reliable boat to use .
Lencraft just couldn't understand why it was flaky - there was some speculation about something must have happened to it since they'd tested it. Yes they could have fixed the engine but as it was flaky rather than a non-runner it might have taken some time and watertesting and they just don't seem to have the resources when things go wrong.
IMHO you only run an oil-injected engine on premix when you've done some major engine repair or don't trust the oil injection.
The Valiant itself had some issues too e.g.the hull cavity filling with water combined with a bilge pump that didn't work.
Old 03 August 2006, 07:09   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Daibheid,

I'm going to be a little controvecial here. I have no association with Lencraft, and have never had any contact with them. If they are aware of the discussion going on here - they should post their side of the story. Failing to do so makes everyone assume that Daibheid's version is the only version. I am sure everyone appreciates that if Lencraft were to tell the story the facts may be the same but perhaps the interpretation is different.

You expected to put your boat in for a retube, pay your money and get the boat back with shiny new (air tight) tubes. This seems to be a reasonable expectation. Lencraft presumably had a similar expectation.

They failed to deliver on that. They tried to sort it - all be it that their speed at doing so was not great, and the end outcome was also unsatisfactory.

They offered you a loan boat - which I think is quite unusual and goes beyond what most people would actually expect to happen (although it might be what we would all want to happen). The loan boat had some problems - but putting your engine on it would have addressed the confidence problem you had with the engine - and would have meant you did have a boat. I think this was a reasonable compromise by Lencraft. You decided to decline the offer. If I wasn't confident in Lencraft to swap over an engine I would never have asked them to do a retube. One is pretty basic and the other is actually quite skilled (I am not suggesting that fine tuning an engine set up is a piece of p*ss but you want a working boat - not a racing machine).

So - calm down, they have gone further to try and help you than many others would have; even if it was not as far as you expected.

Immediately prior to the catastrophic falling out where they refunded you - what did you consider would be a satisfactory outcome?

There is no magic wand they can waive to sort the problem. Tubes take time to make. If they have no logical reason why you have a leak - they have to work out why first, so the new set don't also leak. So what action did you expect them to take that would make you leave as a "happy customer"? Or what action would you have taken if you had been in his shoes.

To be honest - I think for a small family business Lencraft have been reasonably mature in giving you a refund. There are many small family businesses who in this situation would have thrown the toys out of the pram and told you to p*ss off. (search on here for pop's story on the IoW, no fears experiences with Olmec etc...).

My experience is that as soon as a dispute turns into a heated argument (and esspecially if people start threatening legal action, or defamatory protests in the press/internet) that people on both sides get upset.

You've lost out on some boating time, and I understand that this is frustrating - but its not life and death. That's life unfortunately. Get over it.

The only complaint you reasonably still have is that you put a boat in for repair - which presumably had some sort of tubes on it, and so was useable to some extent? and now you just have a hull.
Old 03 August 2006, 07:39   #16
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
I wonder have Lencraft read this thread yet?
Old 03 August 2006, 07:47   #17

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
I know nothing about tubes.. so maybe this post is out of place.
A tube is basicaly a rolled up bit of hyperlon , with the sides glued together blocked at both ends and a valve
glued/bolted in.

Shurely, nothing complicated??. There is an art ,such as turning them inside out ect, and making the end look like tied up sauasages- but its not rocket science??. So the basic problem comes down to:

1. poor quality of material
2. wrong glue
3 poor workmanship

Correct me If I am wrong- but the outcome is pretty straight forward - to my simple way of thinking.. you either have good tubes or you have bad tubes.
All the three mentioned parameters lead to bad tubes- and you know soon enough if you have 'em- i,e YOU SINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Paul Tilley, but I have been told the "only" good one is Henshaws.

Jonathan
Old 03 August 2006, 08:15   #18

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa

Correct me If I am wrong- but the outcome is pretty straight forward - to my simple way of thinking.. you either have good tubes or you have bad tubes.
All the three mentioned parameters lead to bad tubes- and you know soon enough if you have 'em- i,e YOU SINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Paul Tilley, but I have been told the "only" good one is Henshaws.

Jonathan
Definitely not true. Avon are also top notch. Avon are based about 1 mile from where I keep my boat and I know several people who work there. They have all admired the quality of the tubes on my boat - made by Paul Tilley.
Old 03 August 2006, 09:06   #19

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa

Jonathan
It would be interesting to know whether that person had an axe to grind, but I would like to add to the Paul Tilley fan club - we have our tubes done by him!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2006, 10:38   #20

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
It would be interesting to know whether that person had an axe to grind, but I would like to add to the Paul Tilley fan club - we have our tubes done by him!

DITTO! quite a work of art, (now can i have a Tidel sticker Paul?)