Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 12 December 2007, 21:08   #1

Town: saint pauls bay
Boat name: destroyer
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70 tldi tohatsu
8 year old humber destroyer never been wet yet!

hi guys i have come across a humber destroyer of 5 meters that has been stored in a shop for the past 8 years. the rib was in sunlight for a few hours everyday for the past 8 years. opon examination of this humber the hull and tubes look to be in emaculate condtion no fading or any discoloration at all. the boat still has some of the tape and things that it came with from the factory.i am 100 %sure this humber is never been used. the owner of this rib bought the rib for his son but his son but his son never used the rib for some strange reason.now he wants to get rid of it and is asking for 2 thirds of the retail price. like i said the boat looks like its in emaculte condition. it brand new if you dont take into acound it has been built 8 years ago.
i am seriosly considering buying this humber but i am worryed that the 8 years of sunlight did some damage to the tubes. could 8 years of sunlight have seriously done mager damage to the material. i ahve heard of tubes coming apart at the seems after not beeing used for a very long time. can this 8 years have weekend the glue and the seems. the owner told me that he bumps up the tubes a litlle bit once in a while and claimed that all ribs lose some of their air after a couple of weeks and need to be pumped once in a while. is this rib a lemon or should i consider buying it? if the tubes do lose a bit of air from somewhere is this a big problem or is there a quick fix like spraying somekind of sealant into the tubes . oh also this rib while being stored never was pumped up fully so that there would not be any stress on the seems. some professional advice will be great.
Old 12 December 2007, 21:25   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Deflate the tubes and pump them up again.put some washing up liquid around the valves and see if you have bubbles. If you have work the valves in and out with your finger a few times see if the leak stops. Also bear inn mind that you can twist the valves open for deflation so if the air gusts out the plat around with the valve a bit with your finger. Push the button so to speak

Get a spray applicator old spray polish bottle ogarden sprayer and make up a weak solution of water and washing up liquid and spray all over the tubes looking for bubbles
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2007, 21:42   #3

thanks for your help . and quick responce. do you guys think that 8 years have degregated the seems and material and glue in any way.
Old 12 December 2007, 21:57   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltaspearo View Post
do you guys think that 8 years have degregated the seems and material and glue in any way.
If it's been indoors the hypalon will probably be fine but the adhesive does harden with age. Offer half the price and see how you get on.

Eight years ago Humbers were much cheaper than they are now so two thirds of the old price may well be a good deal.
Old 12 December 2007, 22:49   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
now he wants to get rid of it and is asking for 2 thirds of the retail price. like i said the boat looks like its in emaculte condition. it brand new if you dont take into acound it has been built 8 years ago.
So absolute worst case you would have to put new tubes on it sooner than a new boat (but very unlikely to be straight away). Effectively if you did that today you would get back to a brand new boat again.

1/3 off probably initially sounds attractive - but Humber are currently offering 30% off factory stock - so if you were in England you could snap up a genuinely new one for a third off.

Is there an engine on it? If it is new - it is presumably out of warranty? but won't even have been run in . Engines have moved on a bit in 8 years - and I would think an 8 yr old untouched engine is worth a good bit less that 2/3rds its orginal value - unless there is someone who is desparate for an old technology one.

Quote:
Eight years ago Humbers were much cheaper than they are now so two thirds of the old price may well be a good deal.
not sure how the USD<=>GBP exchange rate will have affected the price in that period. If the boat price stayed the same then in theory it should be 20% cheaper in USD today than it would have been in 1999.

Finally - I think it is wrong to think of this as a brand new boat. As soon as you use it it will be an 8 year old boat that has been used very little and is in great nick - you will never be able to resell it with the "brand new" claim. In contrast if you bought a brand new humber and sold it after 1 season then it would be worth significantly more than a 9 year old boat with only 1 seasons use...
Old 12 December 2007, 23:00   #6

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20 Suzuki
don't see a problem if it was stored correctly

I have an old Metzeler about 15-20 years old from what I can figure out.
It was properly stored and maintian during the summer and winter months with a good cleaning and UV preserver and put away 3/4 full of air. I am very happy with the way it's held up last year. First rib I have had and was skeptical at first with the boat. After one hard year of use on these old tubes the manufacture has won my trust in ribs. Bottom line is the rib is as good as the care that was put into it.
Old 13 December 2007, 05:11   #7

no polward the humber does not have an engine on it .i will be putting a new engine on it if i get it. i was wondering how much would new tubes cost for a humber destroyer. its to bad about this humber being stored like that for 8 years . what a waste. i think i will consider going up to hull and checking out some of humbers . stock ribs.

Hey dverstege ! hows it going up in newmarket . i am also a ontario native .i am from toronto but been living in malta europe for the past 21 years. i go to toronto for hollidays when ever i can afford it. i wish i was up there right now fishing with a new rib up in lake kipawa. wow how i miss that place.
Old 13 December 2007, 06:36   #8

Make: RIBCRAFT 5.85
Engine: 150AETX Yamaha
Hi,
1/3 discount is to less. I would buy it at 50% or more. Just think about the discount that u get from HUMBER, no warrenty and maybe u have to change the tubes in the nearest future.
Old 13 December 2007, 08:13   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I think I would check the price against a discounted new one as others have said - the trick that people tend to play is 30% off some inflated price! The boat sounds like it will be ok, certainly the hull will be like it left the factory!

I was in St Pauls Bay for the race in September (I was in the inboard 25) and it was my first time in Malta and loved it - the people there are fantastic!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2007, 09:26   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Sorry malto - for some reason I thought you were across the pond - so obviously my comments about USD $ are irrelevant!
Old 13 December 2007, 10:52   #11

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
What is this guy actually asking for it? Do you have a photo of it?
Old 13 December 2007, 11:38   #12

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The other thing to remember is that the transom on the new ones may have been beefed up a bit since that one was built - Mine is essentially the Grandaddy of the Ocean Pro 5m , but is only rated for 60 Hp - the new ones are rated somewhere around the 80/90Hp mark. Also if you're planning on dropping a shiny new 4- stroke on the transom the engine weight may be an issue too. Check the builder's plate!

As for the tubes, they use Hypalon for a reason! I can see no issues with the sunlight - My current boat is a 1979(ish) build and apart from a leaky valve holds air nicely - and it's spent most of it's life outside & afloat. Having said that, I'd second the "do the soapy water test" - then you know for sure.
Old 13 December 2007, 13:08   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Oh-oh, Tim smells an opportunity...
Old 13 December 2007, 16:57   #14

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Oh-oh, Tim smells an opportunity...
Not at all, just wondered what sort money this boat is going for.
Old 13 December 2007, 22:50   #15

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Engine: 20 Suzuki
you will have fun in the rib

I use to drive tractor trailer in Quebec but never had the time to fish there. Love the area and the people even though I don’t speak French.
I find that the people on Rib net are vary helpful, knowledgeable and can point you in the right direction for any questions you may need help with.
I was over in Europe 6 months ago and enjoyed my holiday very much checking out the family heritage and all. Noticed a lot of ribs over there and when I came back saw one for sale and gave it a try. Must say I have enjoyed the rib very much and over all would take it over an aluminum fishing boat. Have fun with yours if you get it.
Old 14 December 2007, 16:36   #16

Town: Holbury
Make: Ocean Dynamic
Engine: 2 330 Iveco Hamilton
Humber

Quote:
hi guys i have come across a humber destroyer of 5 meters that has been stored in a shop for the past 8 years. the rib was in sunlight for a few hours everyday for the past 8 years. opon examination of this humber the hull and tubes look to be in emaculate condtion no fading or any discoloration at all. the boat still has some of the tape and things that it came with from the factory.i am 100 %sure this humber is never been used. the owner of this rib bought the rib for his son but his son but his son never used the rib for some strange reason.now he wants to get rid of it and is asking for 2 thirds of the retail price. like i said the boat looks like its in emaculte condition. it brand new if you dont take into acound it has been built 8 years ago.
i am seriosly considering buying this humber but i am worryed that the 8 years of sunlight did some damage to the tubes. could 8 years of sunlight have seriously done mager damage to the material. i ahve heard of tubes coming apart at the seems after not beeing used for a very long time. can this 8 years have weekend the glue and the seems. the owner told me that he bumps up the tubes a litlle bit once in a while and claimed that all ribs lose some of their air after a couple of weeks and need to be pumped once in a while. is this rib a lemon or should i consider buying it? if the tubes do lose a bit of air from somewhere is this a big problem or is there a quick fix like spraying somekind of sealant into the tubes . oh also this rib while being stored never was pumped up fully so that there would not be any stress on the seems. some professional advice will be great.
We have used Humbers for many years , first class Rib , very dry and
sea worthy with soft ride. We have a 3.4 Meter , 8 years old no
trouble with tubes or adhesive . Recommend snap it up
Old 14 December 2007, 18:15   #17

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
Flipping heck, I agree with Tiffy

Have always liked Humbers, you should get very few problems with it if you check it out properly first.

Having said that, commercially, Delta have the edge at the moment...
Old 14 December 2007, 19:11   #18

oh just so you guys no the situation. the guy is asking 7082 euros (5069 uk pounds) for this humber destroyer + a brand new heavy duty trailer.

i offered him 5667 euros (4056 uk pounds) for both the trailer and rib.
and he said he would give me the rib only for that price. i am sure that if i gave him another maybe 200 euros (150 uk pounds) he will give me the boat.

a brand new destroyer from humber is 4778 uk sales only and 6826 for everyone else .i cant see why uk sales are cheaper than sales to the rest of the world

on top of that price i will have to pay frieght which is another 500 uk pounds at the least.
so what do you guys think.
Old 14 December 2007, 19:52   #19
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I'd tell him to go away in short sharp jerky movements. He's asking more than it would have been new.

Personally I'd buy a new one if I was paying new prices.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote