Old 30 November 2006, 18:31   #1

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
7.5 metre Rib

In the process of selling current boat and looking for something slightly bigger to replace it, thoughts so far are:

- Test driven ribcraft 750 sport, like it a lot but fairly lengthy build time + when we went out lockers were full of water, not impressed, apart from that think it is a great boat.
- Looked at Scorpion 7.5 / 8.1 but as we live so far from the sea don’t think we could justify the lots of extra money for what I am sure is a great boat, looked second hand but none that really take our fancy.
- Going to get some more details on a Parker 750 as they look great and have the deep V hull.
- Really like the solent ribs from a style point of view and they seem to be pretty fast and have a fairly deep V without the hefty price tag.

There are others like prosport, humber, revenger, ballistic and many more but the above have what we have narrowed it down to, however open to any offers of anything similar. We’re basically looking for:

- 7.5 metres max for towing 2.5m beam
- If possible an engine splash well with a built in bench or just a wide bench at the stern with double jockeys in front.
- Sunpad, we trail it down to the South of France in the summer would be a nice feature
- Lots of storage
- 250+ engine most probably 4 stroke

So if anyone has any ideas or knows of anything that would fit the bill, would love to hear about it.

Thanks, Freddie
Old 30 November 2006, 18:46   #2

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Freddie,
Sounds like you're going through the same process of elimination as I did earlier this year.
I decided on the Ribcraft 750 Sport with a Suzuki 250 in the end.

I'm not going to do a sales pitch for Ribcraft (...Jason can do that himself when he gets back from his latest spy mission!), but suffice to say I'm very happy with the boat and the service to date.

I agree, Ribcraft's build times are quite lengthy - I kept myself pacified during my 4 month wait by telling myself that some things are worth waiting for ... and I haven't been disappointed.

Re: the lockers filling with water - I've run my boat most weekends since end Sept in everything up to a F10 and all our lockers (stern, jockeys, anchor & suicide) have stayed completely dry.
Old 30 November 2006, 18:50   #3

Town: Southampton
Make: ZAR
Length: 9m +
You could consider our 7.5 metre. Plenty of storage in cavernous fore and aft lockers, standard sunbeds fore and aft and capable of taking upto 300 HP. Helm bench rather than jockeys but a very sociable layout and an extremely soft ride.

Slightly more than 2.5m beam but you could alternatively go for our 6.5 metre, which has a hull length and internal volume of traditional 7.5m RIBs in any case.

See the following links for more info or contact me for a viewing:

http://www.formenti-forsea.it/en/75.htm

http://www.formenti-forsea.it/en/65.htm
Old 30 November 2006, 19:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerboats View Post
You could consider our 7.5 metre. Plenty of storage in cavernous fore and aft lockers, standard sunbeds fore and aft and capable of taking upto 300 HP. Helm bench rather than jockeys but a very sociable layout and an extremely soft ride.

Slightly more than 2.5m beam but you could alternatively go for our 6.5 metre, which has a hull length and internal volume of traditional 7.5m RIBs in any case.
We did look at Zar after seeing some in the Med but weren't that keen on the black tubes, surpirsed they were chosen for the Med. Forgot to mention that we also use the boat off the West coast of Scotland and in Conwy Bay and we feel that jockey seats are pretty essential.

Regarding the ribcraft maybe the rear bench hadn't been put back right.

Thanks, Freddie
Old 30 November 2006, 19:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermob View Post
Regarding the ribcraft maybe the rear bench hadn't been put back right.
There is a bit of a knack to repositioning it....
Old 30 November 2006, 21:39   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: ZAR
Length: 9m +
You'd be surprised how comfortable the bench helm in the "up" position is in contrast to a jockey, especially in rough seas. Because you are esssentially taking the weight on your legs, and using the bench as a leaning post, you do feel very secure, and are not thrown around as you may expect.

Regarding the tube colours, you are right that the only option is the black/white, although the tube is predominantly white, the black only being used for the flashing where the white Hypalon meets the GRP and for the rubbing strake.

As well as creating a brand identity, the primary reason for Formenti choosing to offer just the one tube colour is based around the level of production. All ZAR RIBs are produced completely in-house by hand, and with an order book of over 100 RIBs to fulfil during the first six months of next year, it is not practical to offer a choice of colours.

The in-house production of the tubes is a slick process, and efficiency would be severely compromised if different coloured Hypalon was required for individual boats.

Certainly appreciate there are a number of aspects to your decision making process though.
Old 30 November 2006, 21:44   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I have absolutely no axe to grind in recommending a Manufacturer, other than respect for their product... have a look at Osprey, you may be very pleased with their ability to supply at a good price and very quickly.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2006, 21:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerboats View Post
You'd be surprised how comfortable the bench helm in the "up" position is in contrast to a jockey, especially in rough seas. Because you are esssentially taking the weight on your legs, and using the bench as a leaning post, you do feel very secure, and are not thrown around as you may expect.
I had a bench helm in my last boat ... and vowed never again. Seriously, felt like I was perched on a toilet in the boat...very insecure feeling ... no lateral supports meant that we got thrown about.

New boat has jockeys with winged backrests ... IMHO, these backrests provide vital trunk support and jockeys also give additional opportunity to grip on with legs if needed.
Old 30 November 2006, 23:18   #9

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki 300
My solution

Freddie,

I was in same position as you until...

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17017

Best of luck
Old 01 December 2006, 08:34   #10

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
The RibEye 785 with a large Yamaha would be the perfect choice.
Old 01 December 2006, 08:45   #11

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermob View Post

There are others like prosport, humber, revenger, ballistic and many more but the above have what we have narrowed it down to, however open to any offers of anything similar.

So if anyone has any ideas or knows of anything that would fit the bill, would love to hear about it.

Thanks, Freddie
Don't forget us! Always happy to quote!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2006, 09:09   #12

Town: London
Length: no boat
What speed do you get out of your Ribcraft 750 sport with your 250? I am awaiting a quote for a the same model with twin 150s.
How does it go in the rough and how does the design differ to their more traditional models?
Thanks
Old 01 December 2006, 10:16   #13

Town: Llandygai, Bangor
Boat name: AhandAh (R&R)
Make: Maxum
Engine: INBOARD DIESEL
Send a message via AIM to Ribster Rache
Consider an Osprey - they are great boats
Old 01 December 2006, 10:48   #14

Town: Dorset
Make: ribcraft
Engine: suzuki 250
I have a RIibcraft 7.5 with a Suzuki DF250 on the market at the mo... I've had 49kts out of her one up and 37kts with a full load.
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F125840/
Cracking bit of kit but she must go! 07971 25 85 15
Old 06 December 2006, 16:06   #15

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: prodigy
Engine: in. diesel 130hp
Hi, I would personally keep well away from prosport ribs - In my experience they are very badly constructed using cheap materials, the wiring looks as if a monkey has installed and oh yes, absolutly no customer service. i have come accross a few of these and they are all the same.
Old 06 December 2006, 16:14   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabridgemarine View Post
Hi, I would personally keep well away from prosport ribs - In my experience they are very badly constructed using cheap materials, the wiring looks as if a monkey has installed and oh yes, absolutly no customer service. i have come accross a few of these and they are all the same.

Would that be prosport before or after they changed hands?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2006, 16:33   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabridgemarine View Post
I would agree about the Monkey bit!!! The Monkey in question was NOT a nice person to deal with - it's such a shame as the design is sound. It's basically a Revenger hull with a wider beam and fuller tubes to avoid stuffing in following seas.

My boat is very solidly built - it is the finishing touches that leave so much to be desired. Fortunately these are easily sorted but why should I have to? At least the tubes are the best around - thanks to Mr Tilley.

It's a shame becuase the boat handles brilliantly - softest and dryest ride you will ever feel.. When I finish off the little jobs that need doing and stick a 300hp on it I wouldn't swop for anything!!!
Old 06 December 2006, 16:59   #18

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: prodigy
Engine: in. diesel 130hp
it was before the change over, but still can't get any customer service from the new lot.
the "monkey" was apparently a taxi driver !!
it is a smooth ride, but it still stuffs like any other rib !
Old 06 December 2006, 20:16   #19

Just seen this picture of a vipermax 7.5, one thing that strikes me that the hull doesn't seem to be a very deep V, it does look like it has a convex shape to it though, any thoughts, am I completely wrong, the reviews say it is good in the rough so presume its a worthy hull. Notice the massive rollers, never seen ones like that on a trailer. This one has a sundeck and an engine spashwell so would meet our spec perfectly.

How fast do you think it would go with a suzuki 300?

Cheers,

Freddie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vipermax75-back[1].jpg
Views:	267
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	23605  
Old 06 December 2006, 20:57   #20

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
it is quite a deep v at the front and the rear has a planing pad. you will find them as sea worth as any other rib out there, i am told they will hold their own with the best. If you check round the site you will find nothing but praise for their seakeeping abilties.
some boats with less deep v will be faster but a harder ride, others with a very deep v will be slower, some with a thin profile wont have much boyancy etc
it really depends on what you are looking for out of a rib but i think i can say the ospreys are a very capable all round boat.

as for 2 stroke vs 4, thats a tough one

i have loads of pictures of the 7.5 you are looking at so can post some if you like