Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
6-6.5 RIB advice please

Dear all,

I have been running a Zodiac Pro 7 for the last three years around Brittany. We have attempted longer trips in it, and two years ago we even made the voyage to Alderney! (Allbeit by trailering to Cherbourg and launching from there!)

We tend to cruise at 15-25 knots but in anything but flat calm the ride can become very harsh and it has a great tendency to slam down into the water which creates large vibrations, and bounces all our kit around ( especially at the bow where the anchor is stuffed right up against the bottom) so we have begun to look at a replacement.

Round here the only RIB dealers are Zodiac and although this would provide a strong mainenance fallback Pro Open 650s do not get great press on the forum! I think therefore that buying in the UK and either sailing accross and buying a trailer there or trailering on the ferry is going to provide the best bet. The boat will remain on a mooring for most of the year so your thoughts on antifouling are also welcome!

So far I have been lokoing at Ribeye 650Ss this seems to have the sot of setup I am looking for (2 jockeys for me and my son and more comfortable seating for the flleting appearences of my wife!! However the tech spec of the boat seems to suggest that the boat is 6.6m long and round here in ports there is a charging category of 4-6.5 and 6.5-10 do you think the port autorities would allow us into the lower category on merit of the name only being 650?

In France we currently have an old Renault Scenic whose manual says that it can only tow 1300kg whereas the ribeye is 1730 will we need to change car at the same time?

And finally, is it possibly to launch such a boat with a 45 year old and a delinquent 14 yr old!!!??? Would we need to purchase an electric winch???

Many thanks in advance
Old 30 July 2009, 17:08   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
The Ribeye 650 is what the charge should be based upon as you correctly state that is the model,
Launching/recovery of a 650 with a trailer I have done many times single handed but the weight will be about 1700kgs. I used to launch it on a long steep slip with strong cross tides but the trailer was a double axle with bunks which I found easier on the recovery for lining up. I also used to lower it down on a length of doubled over rope onto the trailer and the tow hitch of my van so the van never touched water and could be kept off the steep slope (twentyfoot of rope doubled for strength)
Not sure the car would do it on a steep slope. I did buy an electric winch which just clipped onto the tow hitch and then plugged onto car battery and this was OK for a slow trailer/boat recovery.
have sold the 650 now for larger 785s which get dry stack. Hope this helps
Old 30 July 2009, 22:25   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Round here the only RIB dealers are Zodiac and although this would provide a strong mainenance fallback Pro Open 650s do not get great press on the forum!
Quote:
So far I have been lokoing at Ribeye 650Ss this seems to have the sot of setup I am looking for (2 jockeys for me and my son and more comfortable seating for the flleting appearences ...
mmm... not sure if you search the forum that you will find "great press" on the forum about ribeyes! They seem to evoke a love/hate opinion. They did get a fantastic right up in RIB international with the "arneston" (sp?) bracket - but that will presumably take you over the size restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ribs
The Ribeye 650 is what the charge should be based upon as you correctly state that is the model,
surely not? surely the charge is based on LOA not brand name. i don't know how many marinas would measure it unless you were clearly wrong.
Old 31 July 2009, 00:27   #4

Town: sheffield
Boat name: barracuda
Make: Humber 7.6 mts
Engine: 200HP mercury
re rib 6mts +

have a look at

humber inflatables in hull
Humber Inflatable Boats
99 Wincolmlee
Hull
HU2 8AH
England

Telephone: +44 (0)1482 226100
Fax: +44 (0)1482 215884
Email: sales@humberboats.co.uk
-----------------------------------------------------

and northcraft near hull

Northcraft Rigid Inflatables
Unit 3A & 3B
Hall Rd
Withernsea
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU19 2XX

Tel: +44 (0) 1964 613815
Fax: +44 (0) 1964 613815
ask for john
----------------------------------------------------------------
ther ribs are used by divers so can take rough seas

i have had 2 northcraft ribs and the prices are a lot less than the big boys
and just as good value
i can recomend northcraft he has done some work on my avon

thanks

steve
in sheffield..
Old 31 July 2009, 08:01   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneyre View Post
ther ribs are used by divers so can take rough seas
I don't understand that argument. Surely in seriously rough conditions people don't go diving? I've never seen a RIB that wouldn't take the "type of seas" where people would voluntarily go into the water. Possibly used by dive clubs so "sensibly priced" or used by divers so "must be robust" would be more logical?

Back on topic. I'm not sure that Northcraft or Humber direct from the factory are the best suggestion for someone coming from France. He'll have another 5 hours ish each way to drive to collect it, and to return it if there are problems - but presumably Northcraft have a South coast dealer? and I think Humber have dealer(s) in France?
Old 31 July 2009, 09:11   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
RIBase
I do believe that Humber have a dealer in Nantes and I will have a look at the website. I know that humbers receive a very good press on here, but arn't they more kind of diving and work boats? I think what I am more looking for is a leisure boat with reputable hull and I thought I had found this with the Ribeye? What about Ballistic? I have found some exdemo 6.5s 4 28k are these any good?
Old 31 July 2009, 09:31   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Humber now do a more leasure sort of layout, obviously it'll cost you more.
The normal Humbers are basic but do the job fine.
Old 31 July 2009, 09:38   #8

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
I'm still v much a Ribcraft fan. Great hull, good support from the company, and the factory is reasonably accessible for someone coming over the Channel
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 09:48   #9
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
just to clarify, I live in the UK for most of the year so I have no issues with transportation from UK I only have a small apartment in Brittany as a second home from which we do our boating. I know that Humber do have the leisure set up but from what i have read in RIB international there is only the an 8m and a 10m. This is a bit big and I imagine that they are fiercely expensive. What sort of average seating setup and price will a humber 6.5 with circa 150hp be maybe 2-3 yrs old, and will it come in under 1300kg? do you think that I will have to change car regardless if so what to?
Old 31 July 2009, 09:49   #10

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Humber have just introduced the Sports Pro. Got a great write up in Rib International. Humbers are good solid boats. The fit out is up to you, basic utility to the rather swish Sports Pro.

I've had my Humber 8 years. No problems with it at all, despite being driven by a speed crazed teenager for much of its life.

My boat is kept afloat all season nowadays. When I took it over from my son I antifouled it. Didn't bother with rubbing down or primer, just painted the stuff on. It stays on. It means though, that if I sell it the new owner can remove the a/f and end up with a shiny as new hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alongside at Macaskin2e.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	44497  
Old 31 July 2009, 09:53   #11

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Dear all,

I have been running a Zodiac Pro 7 for the last three years around Brittany. We have attempted longer trips in it, and two years ago we even made the voyage to Alderney! (Allbeit by trailering to Cherbourg and launching from there!)

We tend to cruise at 15-25 knots but in anything but flat calm the ride can become very harsh and it has a great tendency to slam down into the water which creates large vibrations, and bounces all our kit around ( especially at the bow where the anchor is stuffed right up against the bottom) so we have begun to look at a replacement.

Round here the only RIB dealers are Zodiac and although this would provide a strong mainenance fallback Pro Open 650s do not get great press on the forum! I think therefore that buying in the UK and either sailing accross and buying a trailer there or trailering on the ferry is going to provide the best bet. The boat will remain on a mooring for most of the year so your thoughts on antifouling are also welcome!

So far I have been lokoing at Ribeye 650Ss this seems to have the sot of setup I am looking for (2 jockeys for me and my son and more comfortable seating for the flleting appearences of my wife!! However the tech spec of the boat seems to suggest that the boat is 6.6m long and round here in ports there is a charging category of 4-6.5 and 6.5-10 do you think the port autorities would allow us into the lower category on merit of the name only being 650?

In France we currently have an old Renault Scenic whose manual says that it can only tow 1300kg whereas the ribeye is 1730 will we need to change car at the same time?

And finally, is it possibly to launch such a boat with a 45 year old and a delinquent 14 yr old!!!??? Would we need to purchase an electric winch???

Many thanks in advance

www.redbayboats.com I had a 6.5 which was a superb machine..i sold it because it was too big for coaching kids. Superb build quality and fantastic sea boats. No problem to recover onto suitable trailer. The winch is not the problem. On the right slipway it is easy to drive the boat on the trailer.
You would NEVER tow a 6.5 with a Renault Scenic.
Old 31 July 2009, 10:11   #12
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
re alystra - I know about the new sports Pro range but the only sizes are 8m and 10 as I said before, also since they are new there wont be any 2-3yrs old ones, and a new 8m is over £50,000!!!! I cant afford that!!!!! I think I may be able to get circa 5-10000 euros for my pro and then the same for the car so 15000 euros already. What sort of car could i get for £5000-10000? I have seen the new Renault Koleos has a 2000kg tow capacity which I assume would be enough? Would any have dipped low enough i price though? Vis-a-vis boat price I think circa £35,000 probably via monthly lease finance scheme? What about this ballistic? http://www.ribsforsale.com/detail-92...ic+65m+rib.htm and this is the ribeye I was looking at -http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LML131 I will have a look at the Ribcraft website and I already have a brochure from them.
Many thanks
Old 31 July 2009, 12:56   #13

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Gotchiguy

Don't know if Northcraft is on your radar, but I got them to build a boat for me last year. See http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24552 . I was on a tight budget and wanted a sporty/leisure look with a well tested commercial grade hull, and I think I achieved that. The Northcraft 6.3 hull has excellent sea keeping; handles rough water really well.

The finish is not the best in the world, but it is certainly acceptable. With everything included, Yamaha 115 engine, double A-frame with aerial, GPS and remote control searchlight, Raymarine colour chartplotter, depth sounder and VHF, bilge pump, all rigged, with De Graaf trailer it came in a LOT less than your £35000 budget.

Not sure of the weight but I used to tow and launch/recover mine with a 2 litre Jaguar no problem whatsoever (until I got made redundant and had to hand the car back!).

I have no connection with Northcraft. I just think they might provide what you are looking for.
Old 31 July 2009, 17:23   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'm watching this thread to see how it develops. I may be in a similar position soon. While the 7-Man Pro is a good sea boat, and I've been out in some fairly rough stuff in the Atlantic, it's predominantly for warmer climates where everyone wears dress-whites!

I'm looking for increased power and a slightly larger boat, but something that will still fit in a standard domestic garage. My ideal boat would be a Zodiac Open Pro 550 with Yamaha 115hp, but given my budget, it's more likely to be a Pro-9-Man with 60hp! I'm not planning to change my car. I drive an Audi A4 2.5 TDi Quattro Sport. It sinks a little at the rear when fully loaded, but with a V6 power-plant it'll haul a trailer all day with the minimum of fuss.

If your budget allows, take a look at Humber either the Destroyer or the Ocean Pro. The Destroyer is a fairly utilitarian set-up, but is built to last. The basic 6.0m Destroyer without engines, electronics or a trailer will set you back £7,750. http://www.ribworld.co.uk/
Old 31 July 2009, 18:19   #15

Engine: mercury200 20hp
phew at least im not alone I thought it was only my 14 year old that was a delinquent
Obviously not they must change overnight at 13 & 364days 23 hours 59 minutes
ANY ONE KNOW HOW LONG IT LASTS ????
has anyone got a manual for a teenager I appear to have er LOST mine
Old 31 July 2009, 19:10   #16
RIBnet admin team

Gotchiguy - would it be fair to say you are looking for a "pretty boat" ? Beware many people here prefer their boats "practical" to "pretty" (just look at number of Searider owners there are!). Many of the companies who make the more robust/practical commercial/diving end of the market will be able to custom build you a leisure rib with tube colours, seat, stainless etc to your requirements. Ironically the two you have specifically asked about RIBEYE and BALLISTIC are much less likely to build you a bespoke boat.

Beware that everyone on forums always believes their boat is the best and everyone else should get the same.

Anyone looking at a boat in this size range should take at least a passing glance at the websites of the following people HUMBER > RIBEYE > REDBAY > EXCALIBUR > RIBQUEST > COBRA > RIBCRAFT > SOLENT > LEEWAY > PARKER > VALIANT > BALLISTIC > OSPREY > AVON > ZODIAC > TOHATSU > XS > NORTHCRAFT > AIR-CRAFT and note which styles they like / don't like - and then try to work out if they can get that type of styling on the type of hull they want. I've probably missed some names off that list.

If you are serious about spending £35K on a 6ish m boat - then look at Scorpion also... {their 6.5m isn't on their website - but is being reintroduced}
Old 31 July 2009, 19:39   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Beware that everyone on forums always believes their boat is the best and everyone else should get the same.
no no, my next boat WILL be a FunYak, srsly!
Old 31 July 2009, 19:42   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Totally.

Also, for the sake of brevity, could we not cut the 'recommend' list down to a shortlist of five?

I'll start with Osprey, Ribcraft and Scorp.

My previous boat was a 6.5 Osprey Vipermax, apart from not being madly fast due to being heavy and slightly beamy, it was a very sorted boat.
Old 31 July 2009, 19:48   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Totally.
Old 31 July 2009, 20:21   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
This hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Totally.

Also, for the sake of brevity, could we not cut the 'recommend' list down to a shortlist of five?

I'll start with Osprey, Ribcraft and Scorp.

My previous boat was a 6.5 Osprey Vipermax, apart from not being madly fast due to being heavy and slightly beamy, it was a very sorted boat.
I unwillingly find myself in agrement with Mollers

Solent's amd Nortcrafts are are good and well made also.

what are you looking for in your boat real speed and good sea keeping or great sea keeping and less speed

BTW Didn't the proprietor of Rib Internationals son work for Ribeye?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote