Old 31 July 2009, 05:53   #11

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Dear all,

I have been running a Zodiac Pro 7 for the last three years around Brittany. We have attempted longer trips in it, and two years ago we even made the voyage to Alderney! (Allbeit by trailering to Cherbourg and launching from there!)

We tend to cruise at 15-25 knots but in anything but flat calm the ride can become very harsh and it has a great tendency to slam down into the water which creates large vibrations, and bounces all our kit around ( especially at the bow where the anchor is stuffed right up against the bottom) so we have begun to look at a replacement.

Round here the only RIB dealers are Zodiac and although this would provide a strong mainenance fallback Pro Open 650s do not get great press on the forum! I think therefore that buying in the UK and either sailing accross and buying a trailer there or trailering on the ferry is going to provide the best bet. The boat will remain on a mooring for most of the year so your thoughts on antifouling are also welcome!

So far I have been lokoing at Ribeye 650Ss this seems to have the sot of setup I am looking for (2 jockeys for me and my son and more comfortable seating for the flleting appearences of my wife!! However the tech spec of the boat seems to suggest that the boat is 6.6m long and round here in ports there is a charging category of 4-6.5 and 6.5-10 do you think the port autorities would allow us into the lower category on merit of the name only being 650?

In France we currently have an old Renault Scenic whose manual says that it can only tow 1300kg whereas the ribeye is 1730 will we need to change car at the same time?

And finally, is it possibly to launch such a boat with a 45 year old and a delinquent 14 yr old!!!??? Would we need to purchase an electric winch???

Many thanks in advance

www.redbayboats.com I had a 6.5 which was a superb machine..i sold it because it was too big for coaching kids. Superb build quality and fantastic sea boats. No problem to recover onto suitable trailer. The winch is not the problem. On the right slipway it is easy to drive the boat on the trailer.
You would NEVER tow a 6.5 with a Renault Scenic.

Old 31 July 2009, 06:11   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
re alystra - I know about the new sports Pro range but the only sizes are 8m and 10 as I said before, also since they are new there wont be any 2-3yrs old ones, and a new 8m is over 50,000!!!! I cant afford that!!!!! I think I may be able to get circa 5-10000 euros for my pro and then the same for the car so 15000 euros already. What sort of car could i get for 5000-10000? I have seen the new Renault Koleos has a 2000kg tow capacity which I assume would be enough? Would any have dipped low enough i price though? Vis-a-vis boat price I think circa 35,000 probably via monthly lease finance scheme? What about this ballistic? http://www.ribsforsale.com/detail-92...ic+65m+rib.htm and this is the ribeye I was looking at -http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LML131 I will have a look at the Ribcraft website and I already have a brochure from them.
Many thanks
Old 31 July 2009, 08:56   #13

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Gotchiguy

Don't know if Northcraft is on your radar, but I got them to build a boat for me last year. See http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24552 . I was on a tight budget and wanted a sporty/leisure look with a well tested commercial grade hull, and I think I achieved that. The Northcraft 6.3 hull has excellent sea keeping; handles rough water really well.

The finish is not the best in the world, but it is certainly acceptable. With everything included, Yamaha 115 engine, double A-frame with aerial, GPS and remote control searchlight, Raymarine colour chartplotter, depth sounder and VHF, bilge pump, all rigged, with De Graaf trailer it came in a LOT less than your 35000 budget.

Not sure of the weight but I used to tow and launch/recover mine with a 2 litre Jaguar no problem whatsoever (until I got made redundant and had to hand the car back!).

I have no connection with Northcraft. I just think they might provide what you are looking for.
Old 31 July 2009, 13:23   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'm watching this thread to see how it develops. I may be in a similar position soon. While the 7-Man Pro is a good sea boat, and I've been out in some fairly rough stuff in the Atlantic, it's predominantly for warmer climates where everyone wears dress-whites!

I'm looking for increased power and a slightly larger boat, but something that will still fit in a standard domestic garage. My ideal boat would be a Zodiac Open Pro 550 with Yamaha 115hp, but given my budget, it's more likely to be a Pro-9-Man with 60hp! I'm not planning to change my car. I drive an Audi A4 2.5 TDi Quattro Sport. It sinks a little at the rear when fully loaded, but with a V6 power-plant it'll haul a trailer all day with the minimum of fuss.

If your budget allows, take a look at Humber either the Destroyer or the Ocean Pro. The Destroyer is a fairly utilitarian set-up, but is built to last. The basic 6.0m Destroyer without engines, electronics or a trailer will set you back 7,750. http://www.ribworld.co.uk/
Old 31 July 2009, 14:19   #15

Length: 3m +
Engine: mercury200 20hp
phew at least im not alone I thought it was only my 14 year old that was a delinquent
Obviously not they must change overnight at 13 & 364days 23 hours 59 minutes
ANY ONE KNOW HOW LONG IT LASTS ????
has anyone got a manual for a teenager I appear to have er LOST mine
Old 31 July 2009, 15:10   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Gotchiguy - would it be fair to say you are looking for a "pretty boat" ? Beware many people here prefer their boats "practical" to "pretty" (just look at number of Searider owners there are!). Many of the companies who make the more robust/practical commercial/diving end of the market will be able to custom build you a leisure rib with tube colours, seat, stainless etc to your requirements. Ironically the two you have specifically asked about RIBEYE and BALLISTIC are much less likely to build you a bespoke boat.

Beware that everyone on forums always believes their boat is the best and everyone else should get the same.

Anyone looking at a boat in this size range should take at least a passing glance at the websites of the following people HUMBER > RIBEYE > REDBAY > EXCALIBUR > RIBQUEST > COBRA > RIBCRAFT > SOLENT > LEEWAY > PARKER > VALIANT > BALLISTIC > OSPREY > AVON > ZODIAC > TOHATSU > XS > NORTHCRAFT > AIR-CRAFT and note which styles they like / don't like - and then try to work out if they can get that type of styling on the type of hull they want. I've probably missed some names off that list.

If you are serious about spending 35K on a 6ish m boat - then look at Scorpion also... {their 6.5m isn't on their website - but is being reintroduced}
Old 31 July 2009, 15:39   #17
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Beware that everyone on forums always believes their boat is the best and everyone else should get the same.
no no, my next boat WILL be a FunYak, srsly!
Old 31 July 2009, 15:42   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Totally.

Also, for the sake of brevity, could we not cut the 'recommend' list down to a shortlist of five?

I'll start with Osprey, Ribcraft and Scorp.

My previous boat was a 6.5 Osprey Vipermax, apart from not being madly fast due to being heavy and slightly beamy, it was a very sorted boat.
Old 31 July 2009, 15:48   #19
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Totally.
Old 31 July 2009, 16:21   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
This hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Totally.

Also, for the sake of brevity, could we not cut the 'recommend' list down to a shortlist of five?

I'll start with Osprey, Ribcraft and Scorp.

My previous boat was a 6.5 Osprey Vipermax, apart from not being madly fast due to being heavy and slightly beamy, it was a very sorted boat.
I unwillingly find myself in agrement with Mollers

Solent's amd Nortcrafts are are good and well made also.

what are you looking for in your boat real speed and good sea keeping or great sea keeping and less speed

BTW Didn't the proprietor of Rib Internationals son work for Ribeye?

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote