Old 08 June 2004, 14:07   #21

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Sorry, Johb, that ewas meant to be a PM - I was trying to do two things at once!

Bruce
Old 08 June 2004, 18:58   #22

Have sent enquiry to Sue at Humber and request for quotes from my shortlist of three. Also Ballistic called (I had mailed a while back) but does not have its 6.5 for 'four weeks'. Probably won't wait, but the salesman from JBT (?) Marine was very helpful.

Bruce
Old 08 June 2004, 20:20   #23

Town: Fareham
Hello Bruce, it was nice to make your acquaintance on Saturday and I read with interest that on the whole you were pretty unimpressed with the reception and quality of quite a few MNFR's.

I had a brief walk around the pontoons and I'm no expert but I must admit that in my humble opinion what there where quite a number of boats that where "dressed up".

One such trial I did have was with Solent RIB's 6.5m with a 150hp and thought that it was quite a pleasant ride and also on the treasure hunt had a ride onboard SimmonsO Solent 6m (I think) with a T diesel inboard pushing her along. Although not rough conditions I was again impressed, and with a diesel!! Did you have a chance to speak to Lee Fairweather and trial one of his RIB's? And if so what is your feedback?

His company serviced my outboard a couple of weeks back and felt as though they knew their stuff.

Hope family are well

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2004, 21:12   #24

I admit to being most impressed with Solent and find Lee and his colleagues delightful. Actually, half the problem with this RIB building / supplying business is that many (most) of the people in it and really helpful and charming, once you get to know them and start the 'dance' of a possible purchase.

I have already said that in 'cold sales mode', when they don't know you, a number of buliders / suppliers fall, for me, at the first hurdle. Lee is not one of those, nor are the guys at Parker nor at Coastline.

I was VERY impressed with the support and help from Kevin in the trial - both pushing the boat hard and then helping me do the same (to the best of my very limited ability).

I liked the ride, the sure-footedness. I realise I will have to work to get the trim right on such a boat with the big petrol engine, but that is part of the challenge. Once the trim is right, the ride was exciting but secure.

And, as yet, Solent have not offered me a job as a salesman!

I enjoyed meeting you too and look forward to meeting you on the water.

Bruce