Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 April 2017, 07:32   #11
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,545
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Flame free BBQ - catch fish stick it straight on the tubes - eat it a few minutes later!


Saw these at the camping show, not sure how they'd fare in a British summer though
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222258084580
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 08:57   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,099
https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en-us/...n-en-us/open7/

Zodiac has a dealer network in AUS.

Maybe go ask about their new boat? It's 6.95m. Lots of seating, per usual with the "Pro Open" lines.
__________________

__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 09:54   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,905
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyribber View Post
I have been using Ribs for my entire life, family having owned multiple Seariders and Redbays from 4m up to 8.5m, with family friends also on rib crafts, redbays
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Zodiac has a dealer network in AUS.

Maybe go ask about their new boat?
He could, maybe even should. But he's spoiled for life....

__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 10:19   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
He could, maybe even should. But he's spoiled for life....

My inflation adjusted two cents:

Zodiac molds their hulls, stringers, and decks, then bonds them together. Best of all, a special "clamp-up" jig holds everything in place so the hull, stringers, and deck are aligned the same way every time. The process requires a substantial tooling investment, but yields a more consistent product.

Redbay's manufacturing techniques seem to the same as Avon in the 1970s.

The hull is molded. Stringers are then hand cut, laid in place by hand, then glassed in by hand. The deck is cut, laid in place by hand, then glassed in by hand.

Then, since it is open-air, the entire deck is "splatter gunned" to act as non-skid at an extremely uneven thickness of gelcoat (I have seen many cases where the entire splatter-gun finish has tiny cracks everywhere, due to excess thickness in the gelcoat).

Sure, it's great because it minimizes tooling costs which makes for an easy way to increase profit margins in the short run, but ultimately, you're producing a boat with very outdated techniques.

Another gripe of mine, is I hate plywood in boats. I hated rotted wood cores.

I dislike glued tube attachments too.

I'm a bitter old technician who is hard to please, apparently.
__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 11:16   #15
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,545
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
My inflation adjusted two cents:



Zodiac molds their hulls, stringers, and decks, then bonds them together. Best of all, a special "clamp-up" jig holds everything in place so the hull, stringers, and deck are aligned the same way every time. The process requires a substantial tooling investment, but yields a more consistent product.



Redbay's manufacturing techniques seem to the same as Avon in the 1970s.



The hull is molded. Stringers are then hand cut, laid in place by hand, then glassed in by hand. The deck is cut, laid in place by hand, then glassed in by hand.



Then, since it is open-air, the entire deck is "splatter gunned" to act as non-skid at an extremely uneven thickness of gelcoat (I have seen many cases where the entire splatter-gun finish has tiny cracks everywhere, due to excess thickness in the gelcoat).



Sure, it's great because it minimizes tooling costs which makes for an easy way to increase profit margins in the short run, but ultimately, you're producing a boat with very outdated techniques.



Another gripe of mine, is I hate plywood in boats. I hated rotted wood cores.



I dislike glued tube attachments too.



I'm a bitter old technician who is hard to please, apparently.


Hmm! I'm thinking Ford Focus v Morgan Roadster. Nowt wrong with wood in boats if its done properly, I seem to recall we've been using it for a while. If I'm not mistaken, the Victory & Mary Rose have a fair bit of wood in their construction FWIW I hate moulded decks, horses for courses.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 11:38   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,905
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I'm a bitter old technician who is hard to please, apparently.
Luckily you're largely mistaken in your assumptions about how Redbay build a boat
  • They have full deck/cabin moulds for a range of boats from 6m to 16m (see photo) but do build custom boats using ply decks.
  • They don't use only gelcoat to seal plywood decks - they coat in resin/glass, fit, and then use non-slip flo/gelcoat. Splatter gun??
  • They DO glue tubesets on. That's pretty standard this side of the pond.
Just sayin', is all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corry1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	119011   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackandWhite.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	119012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Busy1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	119013  
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 12:14   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 235913962
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 534
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Saw these at the camping show, not sure how they'd fare in a British summer though
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222258084580
food would go out of date first me thinks
__________________
breezeblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 14:39   #18
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Luckily you're largely mistaken in your assumptions about how Redbay build a boat
  • They have full deck/cabin moulds for a range of boats from 6m to 16m (see photo) but do build custom boats using ply decks.
  • They don't use only gelcoat to seal plywood decks - they coat in resin/glass, fit, and then use non-slip flo/gelcoat. Splatter gun??
  • They DO glue tubesets on. That's pretty standard this side of the pond.
Just sayin', is all
I like their cabins...

But what about their open hulls?

I guess my "deck gelcoat" was poorly worded...yes, it is still glassed, but it is sprayed in the open air for a splatter / non-skid additive finish.

American consumers prefer a molded deck with a synthetic core (if there is a core).
__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 14:41   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,905
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I like their cabins...

But what about their open hulls?
The most popular small hulls have a fully moulded deck - including console and seats. Tidy work. Like I say though - they still fit the odd deck, but they work with honeycomb deck materials quite a bit...
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 15:44   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 184
XS 6.5 with Merc 150 owner here. Took delivery of boat new in Oct. Very pleased with it. Holler if you have any Q's.
__________________

__________________
mikew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.