Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 April 2017, 23:24   #21

Town: sydney
Length: no boat
Not really a fan of the zodiacs to be honest but the new one does look quite nice. However list price in OZ is around $85K from what Iv seen I couldn't justify the price.

Mike did you go for hypalon or PU tubes.

Anyone have any input, PU seems to be a bit more scuff resistant but does it have any downsides.
Old 23 February 2018, 19:03   #22

Town: British Virgin Islands
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150
Send a message via Skype™ to Chicane
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyribber View Post
Hi folks

first of all I'm new here so hello to everyone. originally from northern Ireland and now living in Sydney with my wife and 3 young girls.

so the background, i live on the sydney harbour, Canada Bay to be exact and well we have decided we need a boat for some family time, day trips, fishing and for me, a few runs up and down the NSW coastline.

I have been using Ribs for my entire life, family having owned multiple Seariders and Redbay's from 4m up to 8.5m, with family friends also on rib crafts, red bays and... XS

so to the point as much as i hate to admit it a sports boat like a bowlder would prob be the better choice for day to day use with my young kids but sydney harbour is extremely busy with both pleasure and ferry traffic, and thus I'm having nightmares of nose diving the bloody thing over a ferry wake. that and its not really me, I'm not one for the shiny white craft with plush seats.

unfortunately the Rib selection down under is much like the above, shiny white overpriced and to be honest not overly sea worthy, they seem to be more focused on selling to the super yacht tender market.

so I'm looking at an import. have priced both a redbay and XS 6.5 and 7m and XS is coming in strong but I'm worried about build quality over the redbay. I'm looking at a new boat for peace of mind due to my location. budget is tight, but bear in mind i will pay no VAT. looking for boat only, engine i have covered and trailer is to much hassle to import with regulations.

So id love some advice from other XS owners and am very open to other suggestions.

thanks in advance. and happy easter

Very late to this thread......did You buy the XS?
Old 24 February 2018, 21:00   #23

Town: sydney
Length: no boat
I didn’t in the end. I had priced both an XS and a redbay to import to Oz and at the last minute the exchange rate took a wobble and then it got me concerned about support etc being so far away.

I took a dramatic turn and boat a highfield from a local dealer and so far have been very happy.

I will prob run it for another year or two and then upgrade to either a patrol 760 or look into importing again.

Tags
rib