Old 05 March 2009, 12:38   #21
Zan

Town: Glasgow
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90HP Yamaha Outboard
ok - new question that's come up... What about an SIB? We probably won't be heading far offshore with any new boat we get for a while, and while I've always wanted a proper RIB, I'm aware that the price difference is not insignificant both in terms fuel economy, weight for towing etc.

But, there's not a huge amount of info out there about SIBs for diving... Are there particular makes I should look at \ avoid? And what size engine would do for a 5-5.5m SIB?

And similarly, what is the average lifespan of a RIB \ SIB (assuming it's reasonably well cared for)?

Thanks!!

Old 05 March 2009, 13:11   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I'm noo a 4 stoke fan

Should read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
And unfortunately that is the problem! Each has pro's and con's. Here are some of the major ones:

[
New style 2-strokes (Etec etc)
Pros
Can be lighter than a 4 stroke (but usually heavier than equivalent old tech 2 stroke)
Good hole shot
SOUNDS GREAT
SMELLS EVEN BETTER
Some have 3 year service interval and automated winterising
Better fuel economy than an old 2-stroke

Cons
Not as "simple tech" as 2 strokes - some very early ones had a bad reputation.
Need to keep adding oil
out of interest how much heavier is the opti 150 than the old merc v6 150 I don't think its much is it?

I've also noticed in this thread a recomendation for the XS 550 and a 100 4stroke Yammie. I ran a similar XS with a merc 100 4 stroke (yammie block and leg)as a training boat and I didn't much like it. The hole shot was slow and it was always trimmed to the stern..I don't think it would get any better with some divers on it.

I'd give the Ocean pro a good look cos I think it's got a better hull shape

Old 05 March 2009, 14:36   #23
Zan

thanks for the reply - I think the Ocean Pro looks like a good boat, and there certainly seems to be more chance of getting one second hand than some of the other makes...

After my above post on SIBs, I'm pretty sure I'd rather have the RIB

As for seaworthiness, how much punishment could a 5-5.5m RIB be expected to handle (assuming we got an Ocean Pro \ Tornado + 90HP 4 stroke)?. When we're not diving, it would be nice to have the option of taking it out to some of the Scottish islands (e.g. Skye, Mull, possibly the hebrides?). I wouldn't be crossing the Minches or anything, but I'd like to be safe and coping in potentially rolly seas \ fast tides.
Old 05 March 2009, 15:03   #24

Town: gateshead
Boat name: rubber duck
Make: humber
Engine: mercury 115 opti 08
Hello Zan,suprised no one has mentioned the humber destroyer as these are great boats.Ideal for diving,handles the rough stuff as good as any similar sized boat and are excellently priced new and frequently available in the second hand market.I tried to put a video of mine up but did not work.If you go on youtube,type in humber rib,and you will see the boat im talking about,heres the video pic
Attached Images

Old 05 March 2009, 15:12   #25
Zan

hiya!
I saw the destroyers too, but they seem to be the sameish price as the ocean pro and I assumed that the o-pro was probably better suited for diving (since it popped up here a few times!).

Someone else mentioned Ospreys to me as well as having good deep-V hulls? Anyone know if they're any good for diving?

I will go and have a look at various makes and models sooner or later myself, honest! I just want to gather as much info as possible first

Thanks again!
Zan
Old 05 March 2009, 15:22   #26

Town: gateshead
Boat name: rubber duck
Make: humber
Engine: mercury 115 opti 08
The ocean pro you will be looking at if from the humber website are the two metre beam versions which you will find very cramped,especially if you are using for diving.I recently sold my 5m assault partly because of this reason where as the destroyers are 2.3 which might not sound a lot but believe me it is a huge differance.
Old 05 March 2009, 15:39   #27
K&S

Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
As for seaworthiness, how much punishment could a 5-5.5m RIB be expected to handle (assuming we got an Ocean Pro \ Tornado + 90HP 4 stroke)?.
Here is a Tornado. looks in good shape after 500 engine hours

http://www.boat-finder.com/12460/details.php
Old 05 March 2009, 15:40   #28

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
We had a humber 5m with a 75hp on the back in the dive club, great boat and happy with 6 divers and kit on board, albiet it abit slow.

We now have a 5.5 Tornado with a 90hp on the back and it is more than happy with 6 on board.

I've also dived of off Avons and Rib Craft, both boats are available on the 2nd hand market.

As for a sib, I had a 3.8m from Yamaha, and a mate as the same size quicksilver, bothe were great in shore with 2 or 3 on board but hard work after that, and not great any distance off shore.

Theer are Bombarders on the SIB front that are hard wearing boats and ok for diving from. There are a couple of dive boats for sale on the dive forums at present, if you want to use it specifically for diving may be worth asking a couple of questions over there.

Andy
Old 05 March 2009, 18:28   #29
Zan

teerat - what kind of humber was it you used with your dive club?
Old 07 March 2009, 03:49   #30

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
teerat - what kind of humber was it you used with your dive club?

Couldn't tell you, we sold i 2 years ago and it was 10 years old then. All I know is that it was Orange, Humber on a plate on the bow, bottle rack down teh midle and an engien on the back that came with it

I doubt that the ranges they produce now were about then - but it was a good boat.