Old 03 April 2009, 10:31   #41
Zan

Town: Glasgow
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90HP Yamaha Outboard
Thanks Gordy, that's good to know. I'll keep an eye out for next season, and hopefully get something nice to scooch around the islands in
Old 31 August 2010, 15:18   #42
Zan

Hey all,
I'm back on here again, fully married and ready to start looking seriously at buying a RIB I don't think the specs of what we want have changed much from the start of the thread, but essentially we are looking at:

5m boat (probably destroyer-type or similar) with engine and trailer
Capable of taking max 4 divers
Budget is about £5k (give or take a little depending on what electronics are included)

If anyone knows of any boats roughly fitting this spec that are in decent nick and ideally close-ish to Glasgow, please give me a shout. I'm looking to get something over the winter ready for next year so there's no mega rush. I'd rather get a decent boat than the first one that appears!

Zan
Old 31 August 2010, 21:33   #43

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I have a Tornado 5mtr that will just about fit 4 divers and kit at a pinch and with its 60hp 2s its on the margins of what is acceptable in terms of power with that load. When I repower my ideal OB would be a yam 90hp 2S but its about getting one, as they stopped selling them new a couple of years ago in the EU and I noticed on the US yam web site that they appear to not list them any more so a personal import seems to be off.

Regarding the rig, having one under 750kgs does mean its not a legal requirement to have brakes, which makes the whole thing alot easier to maintain, change the bearings etc.

good luck

Davej
Old 01 September 2010, 08:03   #44
Zan

Morning,

Cheers for that - I think a 5m boat with that sort of engine would be pretty ideal for me. If I need to go further out for dive trips we can either just take 2 + cox or cut back the kit a little if need be. A lot of this boat use would be for sea-jaunts around teh west coast isles with a bit if wild camping thrown in with just 2 of us on board anyway so I think we should be ok with that sort of size. At least until I could afford a bigger engine!

Zan