JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
5m RIB best engine size for MPG

After reading through the MPG 150 HP Evinrude & 6m Rib thread. It got me to thinking, what would you say the best sized engine is for a 5m RIB for economy?
I'm looking into buying my first RIB, I went out today on a 4m flatacraft with a 40hp hanging off the back. I found 4m's a little bit small for what I want. I have 7 kids after all (only 3 of them are of an age to go out with em though) and I would like to look into doing photography from the boat as well.
So I've made my mind up on a 5m. It will have to be an old one (some good looking ones on ebay at the moment) and same for the engine. I'm experienced with diesel engines in boats, from very small to twin 6 ltr's Mermaids. But the only outboard I've ever used is a mercury 2.5 2 stroke.

So what engine size would you recommend? I like to cruise but would also like to go full out now and again. Also where I'll be using it has very strong currents that I will have to fight against. What is the min engine to battle with the elements?
Old 14 September 2008, 00:29   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Depends how you look at economy. Realistically, you need one of the 'new' generation of engines (etc,optimax etc) or a 4 stroke for economy in comparison with the old style carbed 2 strokes.

There's no definitive answer as to the economy of an engine but you won't improve much in fuel consumption for any given speed by having more HP -but you will be able to go faster if you want to and you'll be stressing the engine less. Personally I want at least 90% of the max rated HP for the boat. There's advantages with having good holeshot as well which you won't get from a smaller engine.

Incidentally, the Flatacraft F4 is a tiny boat in comparison with other 4m ribs.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 07:50   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
JSP,

My fisr Rib was a 5.25 meter which I rigged with a 115HP E-tec.

It would have also gone pretty well with a 90 E-tec.

With the 115 I used to get .7 - .8 litres per mile at crusing speeds. This increased to between 1.1 - 1.2 litres per mile at WOT.

It was a great combo and a really managable sized boat for launching etc. If you buy a decent hull like an Osprey Viper, Ribcraft or similar you won't be dissapointed.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 12:05   #4

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
After reading through the MPG 150 HP Evinrude & 6m Rib thread. It got me to thinking, what would you say the best sized engine is for a 5m RIB for economy?
I'm looking into buying my first RIB, I went out today on a 4m flatacraft with a 40hp hanging off the back. I found 4m's a little bit small for what I want. I have 7 kids after all (only 3 of them are of an age to go out with em though) and I would like to look into doing photography from the boat as well.
So I've made my mind up on a 5m. It will have to be an old one (some good looking ones on ebay at the moment) and same for the engine. I'm experienced with diesel engines in boats, from very small to twin 6 ltr's Mermaids. But the only outboard I've ever used is a mercury 2.5 2 stroke.

So what engine size would you recommend? I like to cruise but would also like to go full out now and again. Also where I'll be using it has very strong currents that I will have to fight against. What is the min engine to battle with the elements?
What is your budget? If you are looking at older boats, I guess you are looking at older engines, The old 2 strokes are good simple engines but use about twice as much fuel as the new opti's, etec's etc and 4 stroke. As for engine size, It will depend on your hull. I agree with Nos4r2, Go for something close to it's rated max power but the max power for a 5 meter will change a lot between different hulls. If you are looking at older boats, Stick with a searider.
Old 14 September 2008, 21:48   #5
JSP

Thanks for your time everyone.

My budget is small, to flaming small.
I've had a look at S/H 4 strokes and I could get one, but sadly I wouldn't be able to afford anything solid for it to attach too! So I'm stuck with 2 stroke.
I'm selling some of my photography equipment to fund the boat so I'm limited. Did think about getting finance and getting a newer boat with modern 4 stroke but my backside went abit due to the way the economy has gone since Mr Brown and his clown came in.

Nos4r2, when you say the flatacraft 4 is smaller than other 4m boats, is this just due to hull shape? I have to admit a 4m boat would be easier for me to handle/launch.
I've posted on here the other day and was pointed in the direction of a searider. And from what I can see most 4M seariders come with 25-50hp 2 strokes.
So to ask the question which is rather like askeing "what mood will she be in tonight?" What would be the best 2 stroke engine size, for economy and fun.

Thanks for your time.

P.s. Anyone interested in swapping a good RIB for a Canon 5D, Canon L glass and some studio lights? lol
Old 15 September 2008, 01:16   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post

Nos4r2, when you say the flatacraft 4 is smaller than other 4m boats, is this just due to hull shape? I have to admit a 4m boat would be easier for me to handle/launch.
I've posted on here the other day and was pointed in the direction of a searider. And from what I can see most 4M seariders come with 25-50hp 2 strokes.
So to ask the question which is rather like askeing "what mood will she be in tonight?" What would be the best 2 stroke engine size, for economy and fun.
Well...the SR4 is still a small boat-but when I was tied alongside a Flatacraft f4 in Weymouth the f4 looked tiny. Probably the best way to gauge the siz of an Sr4 is from these-from the Avon website:-

and this:-

Old 15 September 2008, 08:03   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I would have a look at something like this, from experience the Johnson / Evinrude 70s use about 4 gallons a hour which in the grand scheme of things is pretty good for a rib.

Could it be launched across Ainsdale beach? yes with care and long ropes, but have a chat with the fishing club first to see how they do it.

Would it go to the IOM in good weather, yep

Pete

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26218

Pete
Old 15 September 2008, 09:00   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I would have a look at something like this, from experience the Johnson / Evinrude 70s use about 4 gallons a hour which in the grand scheme of things is pretty good for a rib.

Could it be launched across Ainsdale beach? yes with care and long ropes, but have a chat with the fishing club first to see how they do it.

Pete

Pete
Seconded.

Old 15 September 2008, 10:28   #9

Town: Warwick
Boat name: Maximus
Make: X-362 Sport
Length: 10m +
Engine: 30hp Diesel!
My 5m Humber Assault runs a 50hp/4str and is frugal beyond my expectations(c 3/gph) , yet strong enough to plane quickly and cruise at 32kts half loaded (3up).

Seen a nice one for sale....
Old 15 September 2008, 11:03   #10

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Engine size on 5m rib.

I have a 60 hp ETEC on a 4.9m valiant. It would want to be calm and you would want to be brave to run with it flat out. A lot depends on the weight of the boat which you purchase. The boat is rated for 80 hp. I would not like to try 80 hp on the back of my boat. I would usually use 18/20 lt of petrol for 3/4 hours crusing about

TSM
Old 15 September 2008, 12:40   #11
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete

Pete
Cracking looking boat. I've seen it advertised on B&O. Sadly I can't spend 5 grand right now
Old 15 September 2008, 19:39   #12

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
re MPG

Hi I have a Zodiac Medline 1 which is around 4.9 metres and has a 60 Yam 4st on the back

In a recent(3 months ago) trip 2 up to Arklow from Pwhelli around 80 miles each way

i used 30 litres going and around 50 litres comming back
going was at around 22-25knot and back was 25-30 knots it took around 3 1/4 hours going and just under 3 hours back

so at a rough guess i reckon on 8 litres per hours going and 15 on the return journey which was mainly at WOT

hope this helps

ps zodiacs are not bad boats for the money and is rated for 9 people i have had 4 adults 2 teenagers and 3 kids plus a dog and bags cool boxes etc and it still pulls 20 knts

Andy
Old 15 September 2008, 23:22   #13

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I have a 60 hp ETEC on a 4.9m valiant. It would want to be calm and you would want to be brave to run with it flat out. A lot depends on the weight of the boat which you purchase. The boat is rated for 80 hp. I would not like to try 80 hp on the back of my boat. I would usually use 18/20 lt of petrol for 3/4 hours crusing about

TSM

I think that answers the question well . I had a 70 suzuki 4 stroke on the same boat and its used more fuel than that and by the sounds of it wasn't as fast . the suzuki was about a third heavier than the etec .
Old 16 September 2008, 02:33   #14

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
As others have pointed out, so much depends on the specific boat... the weight and hull design, and of course the typical load you will be carrying.

My boat, a Zodiac Hurricane is 5.9 metres and weighs 1800 pounds. A friend just bought a Bombard 550 (5.5 metres) and it weighs 620 pounds. Mine is rated at max HP of 150, his is rated at 90.

If you put a 90 on my boat, I suspect it would barely plane with a load. His on the other hand, would go like a skunk with its tail on fire. (he runs with a 70, and with a load of four divers, it is very underpowered in his opinion...)

Pick the boat, and put as clse to the max on it as you can. You might not always use it, but it wil be easier on the engine in the long run, and will give you lots of juice when you want it...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2008, 10:53   #15

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam115
I have an older Bombard 6m (98) and hull alone is about 850lbs with a Yamaha 115 2st. I go up on step easy with either a 19 or 23 pitch prop and manage to do 38-40knots with 5 people and gear. At cruising speed 20-25knots I manage to do .9L/mile, oh and the max rating for this boat was 120hp.
Old 16 September 2008, 20:18   #16

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
small rib

I have a small 5m tornado (1998 model) with a 60hp 2 stroke Mercury on the back ( max rating is 90) and its a lovely little boat. The fuel use is around 3-4 gph and while I am sure a 4 stroke would be better it would certainly be alot more weight hung on the back, which would effect the handling.
Mine is quite capable of pulling a lightish monoskier/wakeboarder, take 4 divers and is big enough that is takes a force 4/5 sea safely, not that I try to go out in heavy weather.

It depends on your budget but old 2 strokes can be bought relatively cheaply and if things need fixing it usually doesn't cost the earth as thery are simple. (iboats.com is a great forum for fixing engine problems)

For a first boat an Avon 4,7 is great as with a 40/50 they go well, the trailer can be a simple unbraked type and they will comfortably fit in a single garage.

They are also light to haul around behind a modest sized car.

Davej
Old 17 September 2008, 16:14   #17
JSP

Thank you for all your replies. I'm starting to build up a picture now of MPG. Thanks