Old 11 November 2007, 09:37   #1

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
5 or 5.3???

I'm looking to buy a humber destroyer after xmas, Questions on my mind are...
Engine will be an Etec 90 on a 5m or 5.3m boat.
What sort of top speed should I be looking at for each length of boat?

I've also played with the idea of a 115 opti on a 5.3 but would the additional performance be useable (safely) on a 5.3m boat and would the fuel consumption/running costs be significantly more????

Some input would be great as I've been pondering the decision for ages and will be looking to snap up the next well priced engine of the above variety that I come across once I have the money from the boat I've just sold......

Mark
Old 11 November 2007, 11:00   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
115 on a 5.3 will be fast but shouldn't be usage. I had a 115 on a 585 which did about 36 knots on a good day.
Old 11 November 2007, 11:43   #3

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Hi Mark
as you see I've got a 5.3 with a 90hp, goes very well, top end is 40kts acceleration is excellent, pulls up a wakeboarder with ease, just a thought a 115 may be over the hull rating for a 5m? (mine is rated to 90)
Jeff
Old 11 November 2007, 14:16   #4

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Hi Mark

I think you will find that the 5 & 5.3 are both rated to 90hp max and I think you will find a 90hp more than enough on both boats

Ian
Old 11 November 2007, 17:37   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC

Mark, my Osprey is 5.25.

Its quite a wide hull with a fairly deep V, i had a 90HP on the back and got 36 knots out of it. I have now upgraded to a new 115 Etec and I get about 42 knots max swinging an 18" Raker Prop.

I would say go for the 115 option. One you are used to the 90 you will probaly feel the a litte bit more power would be nice.

Of course if your transom is only rated for 90hp then this is all irelevant !

Chris
Old 11 November 2007, 20:09   #6

Town: Essex
Boat name: Crooked Bow
Make: Zodiac Pro Open 550
Engine: Evinrude etec 115
I agree with Chris - if your transom can take it then I would opt for the 115 as it will give you just a bit more top end when you need it! I have a 5.3M rib and with a 115 etec I am touching 40K with 2 crew.
Old 11 November 2007, 21:58   #7

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveboy 71 View Post
I agree with Chris - if your transom can take it then I would opt for the 115 as it will give you just a bit more top end when you need it! I have a 5.3M rib and with a 115 etec I am touching 40K with 2 crew.
Hi. Just a thought, I bought my 5mtr Tornado with the view that firstly it would fit in a modern garage and secondly that it would be on an unbraked trailer, which makes life simple on the hub and hitch front.

I had the A frame made up so that it would also fit under (just) the garage door and by deflating the tubes a little it fits through the door without any problem. While my boat only has a 60 2 stroke on it is rated to a 90 max.

A 5.3 would have been been just to big although tempting.

Davej
Old 12 November 2007, 06:01   #8

I've had the most up to date iterature posted to me by Humber reagrding the destroyer and the 5m is rated to 100Hp and the 5.3 to 115Hp., they haven't published any weights tho.

I don't think finances will stretch to a 115etec tho I have seen plenty of very reasonable opti's availaible this season. How would the running/buying costs compare considering an 90etec to a 115 opti???
My head says 5m with a 90 and my heart 5.3 with 115! The braked/unbraked trailer question is also worth considering, I'm pretty much decided on a De Graaff and there is around £350's difference with or without brakes. According to humber the 5.3 only weighs around 35kgs more than the 5.0.......

Think the next step is a trip to humber to decide if a 5.0 would do what I want! I'm currently thinking along the lines of Navy toobs with matching strakes, raised bow locker, white hull, and deluxe console and single jocky seat in light grey. What you all reckon??!!
Old 12 November 2007, 07:01   #9
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
In all honesty I would go for the 5.3 there is going to be more useable space over the 5 I know it dose not sound much 30cm but it makes a difference.

Only you can comment on the choice of console as this is all down to how you are looking to use the craft… ie. If you are planning to take 3 mates out in a nasty chop then a single seat setup is no use.

The e-tec is a good engine however the deals on new Opti can’t be overlooked and if you are going new the 5 year warranty is a huge plus. And as a 90 and the 115 are the same kg go 115.

In summary go with your hart…. Your head will get over it.
Old 12 November 2007, 11:07   #10

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I think it's always best to get the biggest boat you can afford, you never regret the extra space - always the lack of it.

My Destroyer 5.3, Merc 90 4str., does 39 knts WOT at 5500rpm. I don't think I'd like to go much faster than that. Cruises happily at 3500, 23knts with quite a bit of kit aboard. Plenty of power in reserve if more people or kit come aboard. When I got the boat (2000) that was the heaviest/most powerful engine Humber would fit.
Old 13 November 2007, 05:34   #11

The biggest boat I can afford is probably about 3m so I'm already pushing the envelope!!
Its all come to a head even more now I have noticed the 30% off Humber are offering at the moment....
A 5m should fit in the garage as suggested by Dave and I'd get away with an unbraked trailer which would hopefully lessen wallet ache in a year or twos time!
Old 13 November 2007, 12:02   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
My head says 5m with a 90 and my heart 5.3 with 115!
Split the difference. Go with the 5.3 and a 90.

The bigger boat should be noticeably more comfortable in a bit of chop, but 90hp is ample.

John
Old 15 November 2007, 12:10   #13

Town: Staffs
Make: Yam FX160 HO
Length: 3m +
Engine: Flippin Fast
Quote:
I've had the most up to date iterature posted to me by Humber reagrding the destroyer and the 5m is rated to 100Hp and the 5.3 to 115Hp., they haven't published any weights tho.

I don't think finances will stretch to a 115etec tho I have seen plenty of very reasonable opti's availaible this season. How would the running/buying costs compare considering an 90etec to a 115 opti???
My head says 5m with a 90 and my heart 5.3 with 115! The braked/unbraked trailer question is also worth considering, I'm pretty much decided on a De Graaff and there is around £350's difference with or without brakes. According to humber the 5.3 only weighs around 35kgs more than the 5.0.......

Think the next step is a trip to humber to decide if a 5.0 would do what I want! I'm currently thinking along the lines of Navy toobs with matching strakes, raised bow locker, white hull, and deluxe console and single jocky seat in light grey. What you all reckon??!!
I was recently in the same frame of mind as yourself, and I also had a trip up to humber, but when all the bits and pieces were added up I found them to be expensive even with their discounts!

I would really recommend you contact Ian and Jono at: -

(Humber & Osprey Sales- PBS RIBS 0845 6128670 www.professional-boat-sales.co.uk)

They will be able to put together an excellent affordable package to meet your requirements, and you will find them both extremely helpful.

I recently purchased a 5.5m Destroyer from them after they arranged a sea trial for me. I found the 5.5m Destroyer a lot more stable than the 5.0m due to the wider beam.
Old 15 November 2007, 15:55   #14

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
We are happy to quote you for a package price for a 5 metre with the engine of your choice!

sales@bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2007, 17:38   #15

Quote:
Sounds good to me. Couple of pics of mine (5.3) here to give you an idea. Raised bow locker is a must have. I think they've changed the design of the deluxe console slightly nowadays. I find mine really comfortable, but windy. I have a bench seat across the after end (you can see the backrest). Makes a great bed when I sleep aboard (feet and head on tubes) under the tent I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Home 1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	31335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home 2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	31336  
Old 15 November 2007, 17:58   #16

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Raised bow locker is a must have.

Unless you want a decent size anchor and plenty of warp.

Jono
Old 15 November 2007, 21:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Unless you want a decent size anchor and plenty of warp.

Jono
Er. I thought the raised bow locker is the stowage space for the ground tackle. That's where I put mine anyway. I've got a 6kg Delta, 5m 6mm chain, 5m 8mm chain and 30m 14mm multiplait nylon line in mine. There's room for more too. I do a lot of anchoring, admittedly in fairly shallow places, usually less than 5m depth. The additional 30m line is stowed aft, just in case.

If there's no raised locker, where do you put the ground tackle?... really??
Old 16 November 2007, 03:44   #18

Alystra, Moon Raker is exactly what I'm after!
I'll make the decision wether to go for the 5 or 5.3 metre when I have a look at them. My current plan is to source the boat, trailer and engine all seperately, I work 4 weeks on 4 off so a bit of legwork dosen't worry me!

I emailed Humber yesterday and they are also offering 10% off extras at the moment which is worth about £200 to me. I'm thinking of making my own A-frame too, a couple of friends have welding kit and the wakeboarding tower they built looks fine.

A 5.3 with a 90E-tec will be right on the limit of an unbraked trailer provided I avoid too much weighty clutter onboard and I only live 200m from where I'd launch. I think when It comes to it I'll go for a braked trailer, I'd really kick myself if I had an accident and knew that I'd have stopped with a braked trailer!! I'm pretty handy so a regular strip down and regrease should keep trailer maintence. De Graaff have quoted just under £1300 for a 1000Kg braked trailer with stainless cables, brake flushing kit and bearing savers which sounds like a good deal?? They also only use Tapered roller bearings.

I'm currently on the lookout for a tax exempt series III with a 200Tdi conversion and disk brakes but that will have to wait until funds recover!
Old 16 November 2007, 07:37   #19

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
If there's no raised locker, where do you put the ground tackle?... really??
I have an open locker (so no plastic hatch), I can stow my 10kg Danforth, 5m 8mm Chain and 100m 10mm warp nicely.

Nice boat by the way!

Jono
Old 16 November 2007, 12:21   #20

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
A 5.3 with a 90E-tec will be right on the limit of an unbraked trailer provided I avoid too much weighty clutter onboard and I only live 200m from where I'd launch. I think when It comes to it I'll go for a braked trailer, I'd really kick myself if I had an accident and knew that I'd have stopped with a braked trailer!! I'm pretty handy so a regular strip down and regrease should keep trailer maintence. De Graaff have quoted just under £1300 for a 1000Kg braked trailer with stainless cables, brake flushing kit and bearing savers which sounds like a good deal?? They also only use Tapered roller bearings.
I'm in a similar position to you. I've just bought a 5.3m Humber and i'm now waiting to find the right engine. I've found a 75hp Yam which i'll probably buy.

I'm currently selling a trailer in good condition for £550 here http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21991

MP if your interested. It's in Weymouth waiting to be picked up.