Old 16 January 2007, 17:21   #1

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90HP
5 m to 6m Rib Advice please

I have owned a 13ft Dell Quay Dory for some years. Last year I replaced the outboard with a new 50hp Etec. As I am sure you know a dory is great on flat water but slams far too much as soon as there is a chop so....

This year I have decided to get a Rib, this will be used mostly for trips to beaches etc from Fowey in Cornwall, but I would like to take it on some longer trips, perhaps to the Scillies. I would normally carry 4 persons but perhaps 8 on a short trip around the bay in good weather.

I was thinking of a 5.3 to 5.5 size do the forum users think that this size would be Ok?

I may sell the 50HP Etec with the dory but if not would it be powerful enough for a 5+m Rib?

There are so many Rib manufacturers how do you choose between them?

Are the hulls shaped in much the same way or do some perform better than others?

Is the best option just to buy what the local dealer sells? I had a look at the Ribcraft stand at the London boat show, these seem well made but expensive compared with some other makes.

sorry to ask so many questions,

Doug.
Old 16 January 2007, 18:05   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I have owned a 13ft Dell Quay Dory for some years. Last year I replaced the outboard with a new 50hp Etec. As I am sure you know a dory is great on flat water but slams far too much as soon as there is a chop so....

This year I have decided to get a Rib, this will be used mostly for trips to beaches etc from Fowey in Cornwall, but I would like to take it on some longer trips, perhaps to the Scillies. I would normally carry 4 persons but perhaps 8 on a short trip around the bay in good weather.

I was thinking of a 5.3 to 5.5 size do the forum users think that this size would be Ok?

I may sell the 50HP Etec with the dory but if not would it be powerful enough for a 5+m Rib?
As you're probably aware, RIBs tend to have a much deeper V hull than your Dellboy Dory. While this will give you a smoother ride in rough conditions, they need more power to get them up and planing. You'll probably find that a 50 e-tec would be underpowered on anything larger than a 4.8ish RIB. If you're looking at a 5.3-5.5m RIB, then with the loading you're proposing (8 people), you'll probably need 85hp min.
I know a lot of guys down your way who regularly visit the Isles of Scilly and they have RIBs from 4.7m upwards. If the seas are kind, I'm sure it is an easy trip, but if it roughs up a bit, you'll probably wish you had something a bit bigger.
From what you suggest your intended use would be, I'd be inclined to go for something around 5.5 with a 90+.

Quote:
There are so many Rib manufacturers how do you choose between them?
Sounds flippant, but you'll have to make this decision yourself, based on price, reputation and suitability for your intended use. There are lots out there and generally, you get what you pay for. Residual re-sale values tend to be a lot higher on the more reputable makes.

Quote:
Are the hulls shaped in much the same way or do some perform better than others?
Very different. In the size range you're looking at, there's a mix from deep V, suited to offshore use, to shallow V, for more leisurely applications and plenty in between. Some RIBs have hull designs suited for high speed, while others are designed to comfortably handle rough conditions, or to carry heavy loads.

Quote:
Is the best option just to buy what the local dealer sells? I had a look at the Ribcraft stand at the London boat show, these seem well made but expensive compared with some other makes.
I personally wouldn't, but I know a lot of people do so. My advice would be to go for something that suits your purposes, rather than what you can get locally. Dealer back-up may be important to you, but this is likely to be more relevant for the outboard than the boat itself.

Good luck. There's loads of information on here, if you do a search on the various makes you're interested in.

Oh - don't expect to buy much of a RIB without adding some significant funds to the cash you get back on the Dellboy.