Old 27 January 2019, 20:47   #1

Town: Glasgow
Length: 6m +
5.5 vs 6

Hi

looking for some advice here, we are in the market for a rib, moving on from a 4m cabin boat and looking for something that can cope with bigger seas

I am looking at ribs that are far from where I live so trying to make some initial decisions based on photos

question I cannot answer is - is there a big difference between a 550 and a 600 length rib - I can see two for sale and the smaller 550 looks like easier to launch etc, there will be 3 of us in the rib most of the time so not so worried about space inside but how much seaworthiness am I missing out on if I go for the 550

Not sure if this is anything that can be quantified but thought I would ask

Ta

(on the market for a rib in Scotland if anyone has one for sale......)
Old 27 January 2019, 21:17   #2

Generally speaking bigger is better as more length to span waves.

With the above said I would rather have a GOOD 5.5 than a crap 6m so depends what boats you are looking at?

Since you say you are from Glasgow and coming from a similar boat myself I was in exactly same situation when I first joined, I get the argument.

I bought a boat not many people like in an Avon adventure 5.6, I loved it as i came from a small cabin boat so any hull had a chance if being better.

3 people is fine on a 5.5m if just day trips, if taking a lot of diving gear then more space would be nice.

5.5m versus 6m will probably be similar to launch so i wouldn't get hung up on that, just make sure your licence let's you tow them and car will handle them.

What boats you looking at?

What do you have now?

What is your budget?
Old 28 January 2019, 07:11   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I agree with Xk59D [emoji15]When it comes to sea keeping, I’d take a good 5.5 over a poor 6m any day. However, that extra 0.5m makes a big difference to the internal space, we have a 5.45RC & it’s ideal for the 2 of us. Put 4 on her & it gets “cosy”. The upside is she is easy to launch & tow, and that particular hull punches way above its weight.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 07:24   #4

Thanks both. It’s a ribeye that we are considering just now, alternates are brig or ribcraft. Moving on from a sailing boat and a bonwitco 440 which has been great but looking to go further, day trips only and no diving for me, prefer being above the water
Old 28 January 2019, 07:30   #5

RIBase
Not often you see Brig & Ribcraft in the same sentence [emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 28 January 2019, 07:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Not often you see Brig & Ribcraft in the same sentence [emoji848]
Why not, am new to this area of boating and not sure what is good and what is not. All advice welcomed

Ribcraft 585 vs ribeye 550 or 600 vs brig 570 vs Avon 620 are the current not very short list
Old 28 January 2019, 07:59   #7

RIBase
5.5 vs 6

They are very different boats. The Ribcrafts are more of a traditional commercial layout & construction. Tough as old boots, generally heavier, beautiful in the eye of the discerning beholder. If you’re buying new from the factory, it will be a bespoke build to your spec. Brigs are none of the above. All this has been argued to death discussed at length over the years. The search function will help & enlighten.
Out of your list, if sea keeping is important to you, the RC585 is a no brainer.
Old 28 January 2019, 09:11   #8

RIBase
Quote:
They are very different boats. The Ribcrafts are more of a traditional commercial layout & construction. Tough as old boots, generally heavier, beautiful in the eye of the discerning beholder. If you’re buying new from the factory, it will be a bespoke build to your spec. Brigs are none of the above. All this has been argued to death discussed at length over the years. The search function will help & enlighten.
Out of your list, if sea keeping is important to you, the RC585 is a no brainer.

All IMO of course [emoji6]
Old 28 January 2019, 09:27   #9

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
It's a fairly considered and experienced opinion to be fair. One I'd agree with.
Old 28 January 2019, 09:51   #10

The choices you listed are very different but from what you are coming from they will all be an upgrade, just some more than others.

If you have the budget then I'd consider the ribcraft 585 as a serious option, maybe a redbay 6.1 worth looking at too.

Personally I would stick ribeye, Avon adventure and brig as going for similar market. Nothing wrong with that though if it suits your needs.
Old 28 January 2019, 13:48   #11

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
All IMO of course [emoji6]
AND...QUITE few "others".. on here I'm pretty sure too Dave!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 14:10   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom26 View Post
In the market for a rib in Scotland if anyone has one for sale...
You're doing the right thing in forming a short-list, and I appreciate a lot of the boats you'll come across aren't close to you.

Ribs will vary considerably condition-wise depending how they've been maintained. Has it been on a swinging mooring its entire life or tucked up in a barn or garage over the winter? Finding Ribcrafts and even Ribeyes in Scotland is going to be a tough call as most of the boats you'll see are down south. You'll need to travel. You can ask Ribnet members if they are close to take a look for you, I've offered to do the same myself. It's just that, an overview, nothing more. You want paperwork (and lots of it) and an engine report.

Ribeye themselves refurbish RIBs and right now is the time to buy before the boating season gets into full swing. They have a 2011 A600 and Yamaha F100 for £23,895.

Best of luck with the search.
Old 28 January 2019, 14:22   #13

24k for a 2011 ribeye. Is that a new engine or trailer, tubes etc? Or just a full on refurb?

A good place for a nosey is largs marina in the RIB compound, lots of boats there you can have a look at if you just want to see some and compare quickly.

Ofcourse people own them so you cant get up close but you can perhaps judge some brands and sizes then go shopping.

The OP is welcome to see my ribcraft but I doubt it would be on the options list so wont learn much.
Old 28 January 2019, 15:28   #14

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
It's a fairly considered and experienced opinion to be fair. One I'd agree with.
Me too !! Biased of course but I know exactly what my rib can do and be safe
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 15:32   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
24k for a 2011 ribeye. Is that a new engine or trailer, tubes etc? Or just a full on refurb?
Probably just a full clean, engine serviced, etc. I think it's all original. Actually it's £24,845! Link here: https://www.ribeye.co.uk/approved-used-boats/ribeye-a600-0

As a comparison there's a 2018 A600 with a F115 for £40k.
Old 28 January 2019, 16:06   #16

An alternative for 25k...

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...ssional/244515
Old 28 January 2019, 17:18   #17

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If internal space is important to you, be aware that advertised boat length is not always a good guide. Ribs are usually measured end to end but some have a large tube overhang at the bow or stern or both. Consequently, you'll need to pay attention to design when comparing length. For sea-keeping ability the hull length is more important than overall length. Also look at the stern, generally a boat with a deeper V will give a more comfortable ride. It's not always the case but it is a clue.
Old 28 January 2019, 17:57   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I like it, especially with the Suzuki 140hp. The Ribeye has a heavy Yammie F100 which by all accounts is a lardy lump.

The rear bench seat on the Ribcraft is poor in my opinion.

The Ribeye, passengers look like they are seated lower down, it's moulded wrap around seats. Think Ribquest do something very similar.
Old 28 January 2019, 18:35   #19

RIBase
Don't know much about Viking Ribs (5.8m), but looks like a lot of boat for the money. Located in Inverness. There's a Gemini Rib in the same yard with twin Honda's, but I'd give that a miss. Viking 5.8Mtr Rib With Yamaha 80HP Outboard Engine Priced at £9,800-00
Old 29 January 2019, 11:39   #20

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I think its fair to throw Humber into the discussion. Yes, they are not as high quality as Ribcraft (so I believe, as I've never inspected a Ribcraft close up) and yes, mine from new had a few silly issues but the Destroyers and Ocean Pros handle rough seas very well and are generally solid. All my issues were minor and easily rectified by the way. The up side is they are priced accordingly and there are some big discounts available at the moment too.
Rib World - New Rigid Inflatable Boats (RIBS)

There is a well spec'd 5.7 Ocean pro on for £13.5k. Stick a trailer and Merc 150 on and give a few grand for bits you're at about £29k. Might be some discount to be had on the engine ant trailer so could possibly get it for less.

Just my slightly biased opinion.

Phil M