Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 January 2005, 17:52   #11
Member
 
Kernow Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,518
Dan ,
your right I'm having great fun on the water, my little uh 'experience' made the launch day something special.
So you've swopped your Landy for an L200 then, I must admit those Nissan's do have a good reputation.
Kernow
__________________

__________________
Kernow Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2005, 20:42   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 371
I didn't fancy the type you have either when I was buying a new Towball so i went for the universal coupling with the seperate pin. The chain from the trailer goes in the pin part and the locking hitch onyo the intergral ball, the only way that the trailer can come off is if the whole towball assembly or hitch assembly comes right off car/boat.
__________________

__________________
http://www.argylldiving.btinternet.co.uk
Rupert Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2005, 04:46   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,195
Hi Kernow

A sad story.
As Richard and others say - junk that hitch.
I also think if you look closely at it you will find it is stamped with 1000kg, which is much too light for towing. The jaws on those hitches flex under load, so it may need a tap to fit but when loaded the pin may well be loose.
I had a 2500kg rated one on the front of my 90 which was used as a recovery point for trialing. It only lasted one good pull out of a gully. I know your boat is quite light, but think about clipping a kerb or dropping a wheel into a pothole.

If you need a pin and ring coupling get cast one with a separate pin and ball, or better still, get a spare slider and fit one with a ball and one with a pin hitch. Better still a NATO hitch for the ring.

Afterthought:- Put an eye bolt through one of the spare holes in the tow bracket and fit your cable to that.
__________________
Mark H
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" Douglas Adams
Mark Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2005, 07:00   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 150
Whilst on this topic, check the "safety catch" on the ball hitch itself too; especially if it has EVER been in the water.

I had a very scary incident some years ago when offloading big bales from a tipping trailer: as the load moved aft the lifting moment on the front end of the trailer actually lifted the hitch off the ball, nearly taking me and the kids with it!! It actually rose forwards, through the back screen of our Jeep, wrecking the tailgate, and buckling the roof panel!!

Even though the ball and hitch were always greased, the spring on the safety catch had failed!!! Check yours - launching and recovering can caused significant lift too.
__________________
Windchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2005, 07:19   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchill
Whilst on this topic, check the "safety catch" on the ball hitch itself too; especially if it has EVER been in the water.

I had a very scary incident some years ago when offloading big bales from a tipping trailer: as the load moved aft the lifting moment on the front end of the trailer actually lifted the hitch off the ball, nearly taking me and the kids with it!! It actually rose forwards, through the back screen of our Jeep, wrecking the tailgate, and buckling the roof panel!!

Even though the ball and hitch were always greased, the spring on the safety catch had failed!!! Check yours - launching and recovering can caused significant lift too.
A good example of why commercial and military users always have a pin type coupling - a bit noisy in use but so much safer if treated properly!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2005, 07:40   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 150
We actually used to tow a Rival 32 on a turntable trailer with an "original" Range Rover using some sort of military gun hitch - Excellent device!! The pair we fitted on the front were great for moving traffic on narrow lanes!!
__________________
Windchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2005, 18:46   #17
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
A good example of why commercial and military users always have a pin type coupling - a bit noisy in use but so much safer if treated properly!!!
as long as you fit the safety pin othwise they can come off which is a bit embarrasing with A/C about

been there done that.....
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 20:40   #18
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 138
in my experience u spend 5 times as much time shagging around with rib stuff onshore than offshore and get 5 times much trouble from the trailer than the bastarding boat. put on a short chain beside the hitch , you'll be glad when you hear the hitch ramming the bumper, and hang the bastarding engine to the left (not you yankees) and you'll probably only kill a pedestrian instead of causing a motorway pile-up. why di i go on this site after coming home from the pub? must get a young wan.
__________________
gaelforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2005, 08:47   #19
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelforce
in my experience u spend 5 times as much time shagging around with rib stuff onshore than offshore and get 5 times much trouble from the trailer than the bastarding boat. put on a short chain beside the hitch , you'll be glad when you hear the hitch ramming the bumper, and hang the bastarding engine to the left (not you yankees) and you'll probably only kill a pedestrian instead of causing a motorway pile-up. why di i go on this site after coming home from the pub? must get a young wan.
Don't beat about the bush..what's on your mind?
__________________
hard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2005, 12:01   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Pinner, Middlesex
Boat name: I SHOULD COCOA
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5 hp yam
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 97
Dress to the left

Kernow did dress to the left. Which is why the trailer hit a LAMPOST and not an oncoming!

Ed
__________________

__________________
EDDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.