Old 03 July 2011, 00:45   #1

Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
4.7m Rib

Hi
We are a family of 5 in Auckland NZ. We currently have a 3.4m Gemini with an 18hp outboard. This is OK for three or 4 of us to play around in and visit closeby beaches and our closest island (only about 1.5km off the coast), but we're looking to upgrade to something larger so all five of us, and perhaps the dog, can fit and go further afield.

Ideally I'd be looking for a 5m+ rib, but this is beyond our price range. However there is a Gemini 470 Waverider for sale locally and I'm wondering whether it'd be large enough. It is rated for 8 people and is virtually identical in size to the Zodiac Pro 9 man/500.

I know we'd all fit, but I'm wondering whether we'd feel that it was still too small to move around it and to sit comfortably. The longest stretch of 'open' water we'd be cross is about 10 to 12km accross to Waiheke Island, although there are plenty of other islands and bays we'd be using it for.

It is fitted with a double jockey seat and there is a cushion on the forward locker, meaing that two passengers would be on the tubes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Richard
Old 03 July 2011, 19:37   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I used to have a Zodiac Pro 7 man and it was okay with 4 people on board (but that was with a bench seat and cushion on the bow locker). The 9 man pro (renamed the Pro 500) is slightly longer with a slightly larger tube diameter. Rated for 60hp. The bow locker seat isn't particularly comfortable in the chop. For safety I'd have everyone back a bit so they can hold onto the backs of the jockey seats, unless of course there are internal grab handles they can use.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:42   #3

Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Thanks for the help.

Any other thoughts/experience...anyone??

Richard