Old 30 January 2005, 17:25   #31
Town: Norfolk
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
Either get a Punto or a Peogeut 205. My mum used to drive one and kept it for to me learn on. Whilst it was as heavy as a tank (no PAS) it was extremly reliable and robust. We had it for about ten years and it only ever broke down once (head gasket). Used it for launching boats for about a year and it was faultless!

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2005, 09:18   #32
Length: 6m +
You've got it wrong guys, you need at least 3 tests to be extra good when you pass! I may have passed on my 4th, but I did get no minors...

I've got a 1995 Renault Clio, and I deliberately went for the diesel model. This means that it's not too nippy for normal driving (although it was a lot better than the 1.8 diesel fiesta I test drove) but it doesn't slow down at all if you put loads of people in it, or attach a boat. I often tow a big heavy traditional 14" sailing boat, and it doesn't really affect performance all that much. Plus, it's seriously economical!

Being a diesel it is also what I suspect Tim M would describe as "heavy as a tank", but it does at least have power steering! I'd agree with the 205 comment too. Also, 306's are a bit bigger, but especially the Turbo Diesel are fairly good pulling cars, and aren't too bad to insure.

Currently though, I'm looking to change to a 4x4 with a diesel engine, just cos I always end up in silly places like remote scotland/wales, and I want something with a lot of room. The Clio's off road performance is slightly lacking...

Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2005, 14:04   #33
Trade member
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
30 hp was max engine size ,most were fitted with 20hp .hulls were made by torcraft just below glastonbury tor and phil evans before he started sorcerer ribs
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote