Old 26 January 2005, 17:48   #21

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Tim? Have you considered going from Southampton with Red Funnel ferries? It's a slightly longer drive on the Island, but a helluva lot cheaper..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rf.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	10167  
Old 26 January 2005, 18:01   #22

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
That was a "hot" tip; just got a quote and it's much cheaper! (£37.50 instead of £80) Definatly taking the trailer now!

How long does the ferry take from Southampton to Cowes?
Old 26 January 2005, 18:15   #23

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
It takes about an hour, 20 mins longer than the Pompey run.... But it's a nice slow cruise down Southampton water, and if the weather's fine, might just spot a few ribs playing in the wake whilst it goes between Calshot and Cowes.
Old 30 January 2005, 18:33   #24

Collected the RIB yesterday. Everything went according to plan - we stuck almost exactly to schedule, and arrived home just four minutes before our calculated time (not bad on a 500 mile trip!). Fortunaly the M25 was kind to us, and and we had the RIB on the trailer and paid for in 10 minutes thanks to the help of the people at Bembridge Outboards!

So here it is, £175 worth of 3m, blue hypalon tubed RIB: (Just need to clean it up, fill the holes in the hull, and add an engine now )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(29).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	10202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(42).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	10203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(44).jpg
Views:	206
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	10204  
Old 30 January 2005, 20:07   #25

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Tim,

Looks great fun!! Enjoy!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2005, 21:23   #26

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
3mtr rib

you have just got yourself a brilliant little rib , its a bosuns mate designed by woody blagg and it was the first set of tubes i designed way back in 1983 at henshaws well before the current owners brought the company .70 were built and sold over a period of 10 years one customer brought a se cond one as a spare when he heard they were going out of production ,hope you enjoy using it, just wish i knew where the moulds went .
Old 30 January 2005, 21:26   #27

Paul; thanks for the info, it's nice to know some history behind this boat.

What size engine were they set up with originally?

Which company produced the hulls?
Old 30 January 2005, 21:44   #28
ADS

Town: Dorset
Nice little project Tim, should go well with a 30.
Slightly off topic, but is that your punto your towing it with. I ve got my test next month and have been looking at puntos, is yours a 1.2 and if so what horsepower/ model. Most importantly, how does it pull your rib?

Alex
Old 30 January 2005, 21:53   #29

Yup that's my Punto. It's a 1.2, don't know about hp. On it's own (without trailer) it's a nippy little car. It's extremly economical. It does pretty much 10p a mile combined city and A road driving. Other people I've spoken too have agree that they are very fuel efficeient.

In terms of towing, its OK. I was going at 80 comfortabley with this little RIB yesterday. I can do about 65 with my 4.1m RIB which weights quite a bit more. I've towed an 18ft powerboat with it (about 800kg) and 50 was about maxium speed although I wouldn't want to go very far with that!).

One little note is the clutch on these; first time I used it to pull my 4.1m RIB out on a sleep slipway I got a bit of smoke from the clutch, although the AA man told me this was becasue I had driven it 50 miles imediatly before using it to pull the boat out - you have to let them cool down first!

Overall I would say it's an ideal first car. Insurance is good (£550ish with Norwich Union for me 3rd party, and I'm 18).

Good luck with the test. Just remember, all the best people pass second time (that's what everyone told me!)
Old 30 January 2005, 22:01   #30
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Yup that's my Punto. It's a 1.2, don't know about hp. On it's own (without trailer) it's a nippy little car. It's extremly economical. It does pretty much 10p a mile combined city and A road driving. Other people I've spoken too have agree that they are very fuel efficeient.

In terms of towing, its OK. I was going at 80 comfortabley with this little RIB yesterday. I can do about 65 with my 4.1m RIB which weights quite a bit more. I've towed an 18ft powerboat with it (about 800kg) and 50 was about maxium speed although I wouldn't want to go very far with that!).

One little note is the clutch on these; first time I used it to pull my 4.1m RIB out on a sleep slipway I got a bit of smoke from the clutch, although the AA man told me this was becasue I had driven it 50 miles imediatly before using it to pull the boat out - you have to let them cool down first!

Overall I would say it's an ideal first car. Insurance is good (£550ish with Norwich Union for me 3rd party, and I'm 18).

Good luck with the test. Just remember, all the best people pass second time (that's what everyone told me!)

Cheers Tim,
I am not sure whether i will pass or not, but we will see. I will be on the look out for a car when I ve passed.

Alex
Old 30 January 2005, 22:25   #31

Either get a Punto or a Peogeut 205. My mum used to drive one and kept it for to me learn on. Whilst it was as heavy as a tank (no PAS) it was extremly reliable and robust. We had it for about ten years and it only ever broke down once (head gasket). Used it for launching boats for about a year and it was faultless!
Old 31 January 2005, 14:18   #32

Length: 6m +
You've got it wrong guys, you need at least 3 tests to be extra good when you pass! I may have passed on my 4th, but I did get no minors...

I've got a 1995 Renault Clio, and I deliberately went for the diesel model. This means that it's not too nippy for normal driving (although it was a lot better than the 1.8 diesel fiesta I test drove) but it doesn't slow down at all if you put loads of people in it, or attach a boat. I often tow a big heavy traditional 14" sailing boat, and it doesn't really affect performance all that much. Plus, it's seriously economical!

Being a diesel it is also what I suspect Tim M would describe as "heavy as a tank", but it does at least have power steering! I'd agree with the 205 comment too. Also, 306's are a bit bigger, but especially the Turbo Diesel are fairly good pulling cars, and aren't too bad to insure.

Currently though, I'm looking to change to a 4x4 with a diesel engine, just cos I always end up in silly places like remote scotland/wales, and I want something with a lot of room. The Clio's off road performance is slightly lacking...
Old 31 January 2005, 19:04   #33

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
30 hp was max engine size ,most were fitted with 20hp .hulls were made by torcraft just below glastonbury tor and phil evans before he started sorcerer ribs