Old 20 January 2010, 21:27   #21

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
The engines were at the back of the yard 15m from nearest point a van could get to, had to be by hand.
How about 4 men and something like a stretcher wont leave any tracks.
Old 20 January 2010, 21:29   #22

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Danger Donut
Make: 6.0 rib
Engine: Mariner F60efi
were missing a boat cover which is a posibility
Old 21 January 2010, 14:58   #23

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Just as an aside to this hideous tale, who's insurance company picks this up? The owners or the yard?
Old 21 January 2010, 15:10   #24

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
depends on how the business has set up its cover for 'goods in trust' and the amounts. I would expect the individual boat policies to cover it as the yard has taken 'reasonable precautions' to protect the kit so is not liable, but as i say may have paid to cover its customers goods while in its custody or control..........
Old 21 January 2010, 15:35   #25

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
Update:

There was a number of thefts up Hurst and Keyhaven way the night before last, think 3 engines got lifted.
Old 21 January 2010, 17:20   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Keep an eye on the boat jumbles and ebay etc then...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2010, 08:20   #27

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
not sure that this the answer to a maiden's prayer but.

Essex Police - Marine watch are promoting this as a possible deterrent of use to some folks......

" January 2010

Dear Marine Watch Member,

As we approach another sailing/boating season, I would like to bring to your attention the ESSEX POLICE outboard engine cover, this is part of our crime prevention strategy to tackle the growing problem of outboard engine thefts. We are selling a new product which is an engine cover to replace your existing cowling while it is left unattended.

There are three sizes available to fit either up to 10HP, 10 – 40HP ( we have fitted it on a 90HP Mariner) and 40 – 70HP ( we have fitted it on a 130HP Mercury) engines. The cover is to replace the outboard cowling which we advise you to mark overtly and permanently with your address / vessel details inside the cowling and take it home with you when you are not using the boat. The cover is then slipped on over the engine and secured with a pull tight rope and further secured with an adjusting strap and buckle along with the facility to lock the strap on with a padlock. The engine cannot be used with the replacement cover in place. The cover has ventilation ports to allow moisture to disperse. The simple locking point is designed to help to reduce casual vandalism and the chances of it being damaged or lost due to severe weather conditions.

The concept is to reduce the attractiveness of your outboard engine to a thief be devaluing it by removing the cowling, as it is likely to cost at least £250 to replace it, depending on the size or make of engine. The result will be that it is less likely to be stolen, if it is we will have a better chance of conviction as once the criminal has begun to source a new cowling an evidence trail will develop. Working with local marinas and manufacturers we have a better chance of detection.

Prices
• Small £13.00 Essex Police Marine Unit
• Large £13.25 49-51 Station Road
• Extra Large £35.00 Burnham on Crouch
Essex. CMO 8HF
01621 782121
Postage and Packing from £5

marine.watch@essex.pnn.police.uk "
Old 27 January 2010, 12:55   #28

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
What a simple and clever idea. Even with the old rib sat on the driveway, had i have thought about it, I would have done this. Thank fully in over 3 years no problems.

I dont know if this will be possible with the new rib, but will certainly see if its possible.
Old 27 January 2010, 13:02   #29

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
What a simple and clever idea
Nice one plod...a very visual yet simple deterrent
Old 27 January 2010, 16:53   #30

Quote:
What a simple and clever idea. Even with the old rib sat on the driveway, had i have thought about it, I would have done this. Thank fully in over 3 years no problems.

I dont know if this will be possible with the new rib, but will certainly see if its possible.
Good thinking with those lovely verados Steve, a couple of those went missing from the hamble not long ago...
Old 28 January 2010, 18:28   #31

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Cracking idea

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 21:33   #32

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Good thinking with those lovely verados Steve, a couple of those went missing from the hamble not long ago...
Well thats cheered me up!!
Old 28 January 2010, 21:51   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck
The concept is to reduce the attractiveness of your outboard engine to a thief be devaluing it by removing the cowling, as it is likely to cost at least £250 to replace it, depending on the size or make of engine.
I'm not convinced. Perhaps it will work for the really small tender sized outboards - but most dodgy outboards aren't sold down the pub - they're nicked by people that know what they are doing and how to move on the goods.

There are 42 cowls on ebay right now none of which even close to the price suggested. All this does is create a secondary market for stolen cowls (which in most cases is a 30 second job). I suspect many engines also end up broken for parts and this will do little to stop that.

How will the engine manufacturer treat any warranty claim from corrosion if the original cowl (designed to keep water out, ventalate, drain properly etc) has been replaced with this one for weeks at a time of storage.
Old 01 February 2010, 13:57   #34

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
Essex Police - Marine watch are promoting this as a possible deterrent of use to some folks......

" January 2010

Dear Marine Watch Member,

As we approach another sailing/boating season, I would like to bring to your attention the ESSEX POLICE outboard engine cover, this is part of our crime prevention strategy to tackle the growing problem of outboard engine thefts. We are selling a new product which is an engine cover to replace your existing cowling while it is left unattended.

There are three sizes available to fit either up to 10HP, 10 – 40HP ( we have fitted it on a 90HP Mariner) and 40 – 70HP ( we have fitted it on a 130HP Mercury) engines. The cover is to replace the outboard cowling which we advise you to mark overtly and permanently with your address / vessel details inside the cowling and take it home with you when you are not using the boat. The cover is then slipped on over the engine and secured with a pull tight rope and further secured with an adjusting strap and buckle along with the facility to lock the strap on with a padlock. The engine cannot be used with the replacement cover in place. The cover has ventilation ports to allow moisture to disperse. The simple locking point is designed to help to reduce casual vandalism and the chances of it being damaged or lost due to severe weather conditions.

The concept is to reduce the attractiveness of your outboard engine to a thief be devaluing it by removing the cowling, as it is likely to cost at least £250 to replace it, depending on the size or make of engine. The result will be that it is less likely to be stolen, if it is we will have a better chance of conviction as once the criminal has begun to source a new cowling an evidence trail will develop. Working with local marinas and manufacturers we have a better chance of detection.

Prices
• Small £13.00 Essex Police Marine Unit
• Large £13.25 49-51 Station Road
• Extra Large £35.00 Burnham on Crouch
Essex. CMO 8HF
01621 782121
Postage and Packing from £5

marine.watch@essex.pnn.police.uk "
I have a Devon and Cornwall Police version of this for my tender - which I still have!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2010, 17:08   #35

Quote:
Well thats cheered me up!!
Not trying to upset you steve, just pointing out a fact. Must have been pretty organised as we both know what those motors weigh! I can't find the details now but heres a link to when and where.

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/search...agory=outboard
Old 03 February 2010, 21:22   #36

info on thefts

We had an insurance assessor round today, he said the theft of big jap engine since July has topped 1.5 million £ . The insurance companies know it is an organised group from eastern Europe, they un bolt the engines and use a stretcher and 4 x persons to Carry the engines to the vans ( well done Peter R ) They have clear CCTV images from a yard in Devon ,the engines go to a UK depot exporting used clothing, the engines are at the bottom of the container covered in the clothes. Big problem he said is getting the police forces to communicate!! interesting thing is only one verado to the best of his knowledge, I guess they always leave the controls, if the Verado is reconnected it needs the lap top, any re flashes it will have to go on line and the ecu can be logged as stolen.If you have a big jap? best put it in under the bed!
Old 03 February 2010, 21:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
We had an insurance assessor round today, he said the theft of big jap engine since July has topped 1.5 million £ . The insurance companies know it is an organised group from eastern Europe, they un bolt the engines and use a stretcher and 4 x persons to Carry the engines to the vans ( well done Peter R ) They have clear CCTV images from a yard in Devon ,the engines go to a UK depot exporting used clothing, the engines are at the bottom of the container covered in the clothes. Big problem he said is getting the police forces to communicate!! interesting thing is only one verado to the best of his knowledge, I guess they always leave the controls, if the Verado is reconnected it needs the lap top, any re flashes it will have to go on line and the ecu can be logged as stolen.If you have a big jap? best put it in under the bed!

Interesting stuff.....
Which uk depot is it?
Old 03 February 2010, 21:42   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Interesting stuff.....
Which uk depot is it?
didnt say.
Old 06 February 2010, 18:45   #39

Hmmm, and now this, 300hp verado from swanwick.

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/view.php3?q=3476
Old 08 February 2010, 03:48   #40

Engine: Yam F100
The 2010 Yams have the new key swab, (like a car for the central locking) which locks the ECM..

Mine has the new remote control and I was told that if I lost both remote controls then the ECM would have to be taken out and sent to Japan and reprogrammed with the new code. I realise the is only good on new engines but it must be a deterrent for the thieves??

What I am not to sure of is why it is not fitted to any engine bigger than the F100?

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/produc...ormation/ycop/