Old 03 June 2003, 16:14   #1

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
3 & 5 Day Planning Forcasts

Hi folks

I know that the met office do 3 & 5 day planning forcasts but to date have only found sites, mainly the met office that charge to download them.

Their are other sites with weather maps etc on but a concise text versions (for lazy people like me ) is what I am looking for, just like the Met office planning version you get by fax.

The charges to download are quite high just to see is its worth planning anything for the weekend on say Wed, so does anyone know of any sites giving concise 3 or 5 day planning forcast for free.

Thanks Gary (Need all the help I can get given what Ive just spent )
Old 03 June 2003, 18:30   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
3 & 5 Day Planning Forcasts
Hi folks

I know that the met office do 3 & 5 day planning forcasts but to date have only found sites, mainly the met office that charge to download them.

Their are other sites with weather maps etc on but a concise text versions (for lazy people like me ) is what I am looking for, just like the Met office planning version you get by fax.

The charges to download are quite high just to see is its worth planning anything for the weekend on say Wed, so does anyone know of any sites giving concise 3 or 5 day planning forcast for free.

Thanks Gary (Need all the help I can get given what Ive just spent )

As a Blackburn lad I must ake solidarity with a fellow Northerner!
We pay for a detailed 7 day forecastevery Monday.
If you want it PM me tomorrow I can sort you out it for nought!
Are you running that boat on Rishton Reservoir!
Chris
Old 03 June 2003, 19:57   #3

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Gary, at the risk of reposting stuff I have done many times before, there is one FREE website that gives you excellent weather forecasts up to 7 days out. Go to...

www.ecmwf.int/ and click on "free access to 3 - 6 days forecasts.

This gives you a chart of the UK and Eastern Atlantic. Most usefully it shows the likely wind speed and direction for up to 7 days ahead in daily charts. All you need to know that is not shown on the chart is that wind blows anticlockwise round the centre of a low and clockwise round the centre of a high pressure area.

It is impossible for a forecaste to tell you 7 days ahead if it is going to be sunny or cloudy. But that's not what you need. You need to know if it's going to be flat calm or blowin' old boots when you want to plan your trip. That you can usually tell from these charts.

I've been doing this sort of thing for a long time now and I usually get it right, I can sometimes hazard a guess 9 days out by extrapolating a series of charts that are very straightforward. It can be difficult if the weather systems are complex.

Recent ones have been fairly straightforward and my prediction for the South West cruise 9 days out was correct and I said a week ago that it is going to be blowing for the Scillies trip. With 3 days to go it looks as if that is going to be correct as well.

There is no magic to it. Just check this FREE site once a day and get a feel for what is going to happen. If in doubt for a particular date post a thread and I will help you make sense of the charts.

Cheers...
Old 03 June 2003, 20:28   #4

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Anuradha
Make: Deep Sea
Length: 6.5m
Engine: Mariner 90
I've been using www.metcheck.com for a while now and have been extremely happy - or not when they predoct rain! They are very accurate - often to the hour!

They have a variety of forecasts going out to 30 days or more - have a look around. They also do wave heights and cover in-shore waters

For the amateur metereologists out there they also have a large amount of the raw data.

Max
Old 03 June 2003, 20:56   #5

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
The ECMWF chaps ( long haired / open sandles ) are very proud that they are more accurate than the Met Office people. Given that they have the odd Cray computer running simulations, this is no coincidence.

They predict months ahead for commercial types and there 3 – 6 day forecast is very accurate. This assumes you can understand the symbols of course.

The metcheck site has changed its prediction, for Dorset, for this Saturday from 6 mph winds and light clouds on Monday to Rain and 10 mph winds today.

I look at the cows on my way to work and they say Saturday will have light rain and 15 mph winds. We have very articulate cows in Dorset !

Regards

Mark
Old 03 June 2003, 21:05   #6

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkWildey
ECMWF chaps ( long haired / open sandles )
A very fine bunch of chaps from Reading (Readingensians is in fact the correct term, or at least that's what the rugby clubs call themselves)
Old 03 June 2003, 23:08   #7

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Weather Links

Try http://theyr.net/cg/cny/I15621b/F=js*v*030605*36*IE*ie_Dublin

You can change Dublin to your own home townwhen you load it up.

We find it excellent for long range wind state forecasts.

Best wishes,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2003, 11:43   #8

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Thanks everyone,

A few comments/ questions though

Thanks Chris, but its somthing I am looking for most weeks, not just a one off, so dont want to bug you all the time, but thanks

Mark, the site looks great but I cant find the little chart you need to calculate wind speed from the Isobars, or dont I need it on this map?.

Stuart, Thanks looked looked at this site before, but when you pull down the scroll bat didnt realise you can get many days ahead by keep loading the latest time on the bar.

Thanks very much folks, no can anyone do anything about changing the weather and stop these dam winds

Thanks Gary