Old 10 April 2015, 19:42   #1

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
290 N Lifejacket

I enquired about getting a 290 N LJ at a decent chandlers and they didn't really recommend it
Said borderline even with a dry suit on as they are mainly for offshore workers as the bladder is very restricting
Old 10 April 2015, 20:50   #2

And yet drysuit manufacturers recommend them to counter any chance of air in the feet of the drysuit causing you to invert.
Old 10 April 2015, 21:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmullen View Post
And yet drysuit manufacturers recommend them to counter any chance of air in the feet of the drysuit causing you to invert.

That's what I told him
Old 10 April 2015, 21:31   #4

I wear a spinlock 275 with my drysuits, whilst they won't be as easy to swim in I take the view that if I'm close enough to shore that I could consider swimming in then I'd be able to slip or cut my way out if necessary. I'd rather that than be floating feet up.
Old 10 April 2015, 21:41   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmullen View Post
I wear a spinlock 275 with my drysuits, whilst they won't be as easy to swim in I take the view that if I'm close enough to shore that I could consider swimming in then I'd be able to slip or cut my way out if necessary. I'd rather that than be floating feet up.
I'd suggest that is probably a bad idea. IF you really want to reduce bouyancy let air out the valve. That way you are still wearing the jacket, still have some air left in it, and can try to reinflate by mouth when you realise that its much further to swim than it looks!
Old 10 April 2015, 21:43   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I enquired about getting a 290 N LJ at a decent chandlers and they didn't really recommend it
Said borderline even with a dry suit on as they are mainly for offshore workers as the bladder is very restricting
Does that actually translate to - too expensive for most of my customers but I've got a 150N here you can buy now?

Because it strikes me that depending on how you use your boat you might be just as far from help as an offshore worker!
Old 10 April 2015, 22:07   #7

Maybe so with the cost they do mainly 190 N but he would do me a 290 N at a good price
Old 10 April 2015, 22:09   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'd suggest that is probably a bad idea. IF you really want to reduce bouyancy let air out the valve. That way you are still wearing the jacket, still have some air left in it, and can try to reinflate by mouth when you realise that its much further to swim than it looks!
I don't know how many Newtons my RIB is....but pretty sure there ain't a Life Jacket out there that comes close!...
Swimming very far from an unsinkable Island? that's easy to spot from air land and Sea????Nah...that's why we wear our K.C's!
I've been dumped in the drink twice whilst sitting on the tubes of heavily loaded Dive Rib...when stuffed...believe me swimming any real distance even with a Dry suit(especially without Fins!) let alone + a big Life Jacket is a Pipe Dream!
Kill Cords / LJ's and Stay with the Boat!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 22:14   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
If there's any decent amount of wind blowing, and if it's choppy enough for you to get chucked out of the boat there probably will be, I'd hazard a guess that the boat will drift faster than you can swim.

A kill cord will stop you getting run over by your boat, but if you are solo then it's no guarantee that you'll be able to get back to the boat.
Old 10 April 2015, 22:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
If there's any decent amount of wind blowing, and if it's choppy enough for you to get chucked out of the boat there probably will be, I'd hazard a guess that the boat will drift faster than you can swim.

A kill cord will stop you getting run over by your boat, but if you are solo then it's no guarantee that you'll be able to get back to the boat.
Overboard Solo and without any other RIB/cover is a serious Shit Storm for sure....can't remember the last time I was both....oh yeah last October when we sepparated 10 miles off Landsend in Fog on the way to the Scillies.
In that situation I'd be glad to be wearing a Dry suit and have my EPRIB handy...like I was/did in fact!

Old 10 April 2015, 22:36   #11

Length: 5m +
A 290N is pretty heavy on the neck for all day use on an open rib (tried it and suffered) When inflated its restrictive for swimming and sight. Commercially the 275N gives more buoyancy if you're wearing a tool belt but my gut feel is that's overkill for leisure. difficult to cover all eventualities but a 195N seems to me to be the best compromise when out playing.
Old 10 April 2015, 22:55   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Overboard Solo and without any other RIB/cover is a serious Shit Storm for sure....can't remember the last time I was both....oh yeah last October when we sepparated 10 miles off Landsend in Fog on the way to the Scillies.
In that situation I'd be glad to be wearing a Dry suit and have my EPRIB handy...like I was/did in fact!
Have we missed a little story for the 'confessions' thread?
Old 10 April 2015, 23:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
A 290N is pretty heavy on the neck for all day use on an open rib (tried it and suffered) .

I've done many full days in a Spinlock Deckvest 275 and I find it just as comfy as the Crewsaver Ergofit 190 OS I had before it. I did have to take the time to fit it properly.
Old 11 April 2015, 07:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Have we missed a little story for the 'confessions' thread?
Maybe if I was Helming!!..after over 300+ dives in the 80s and 90s in all conditions things happen
Although I would add the Cox on both occasions was a Certain Nick Chipchase...also the Guy who dumped himself and two others in the drink for nearly two days!...before they were picked up by a local Skipper,who was searching in a totally different location then the "Pro's"!
They were in sight of land all the time by the way....in full Diveing dry suits thankfully...and if there was ANY WAY of swimming in they would certainly have done so

Old 11 April 2015, 08:13   #15

After swimming out to the mooring at Oban a couple of times in a drysuit its dam near impossible without fins Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1428739996.796571.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	104360
Or a paddle
Old 11 April 2015, 08:49   #16

Haven't tried the Spinlock Deckvest, it must be better designed than one I tried It was pants, the over inflation exhaust valve vented into the well where your mouth sits - breathing in CO2 makes your head spin😝
Old 11 April 2015, 08:57   #17

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Always wondered why not use a long safety line in this situation? As long as it's longer than the kill cord then the boat will stop and you'll still be attached to it.
Old 11 April 2015, 10:25   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We have the Crewsaver Ergofit 290 oc's & wore them for around 400 nm last year at Oban & then throughout the summer. Very comfy, tbh you don't know you you're wearing them. We wear drysuits pretty much all the time when we're out, unless it's exceptionally warm & sunny. We've not had cause to try & swim in the lifejackets yet, but I suspect that's a moot point. I carry PLB/rescue laser/knife/Handheld about my person when underway. We got the lifejackets at the 2013 London Boat show direct from the Crewsaver Rep on the Andark stand, we were playing him off against the Spinlock guys on their stand, we tried both jackets on & there wasn't much between them, when it came to the "deal" the Crewsaver guy won hands down, a big chunk off the RRP, & he chucked in:- re-arming kits, line cutters, twin elasticated lanyards, storage bag... it was getting embarrassing even for a Yorkshireman

Spend time setting them up & adjusting them & they should be comfortable.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote