Old 01 November 2004, 09:51   #1

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
1st seatrail!

After spending out more money getting my trailer safe and new 1100lb winch, I launched her in eastney on the quiet side, not hayling, and had a slow potter around checking everything worked okay, nice weather, not much wind pleased to say it did all go well, had my anchor, oars and wetsuit on and ready incase it all went wrong, - didnt open her up fully, as I wanted to play with the tilt and trim first as on initial take off the bow was very high, couldnt seem to rectify it either , had a full tank of petrol (30 litres) upfront in the bow locker with the anchor and chain aswell, so Im a little confused about that, once on the plane tho it was fine, but would like to sort this out, hmmm any ideas anyone when out the water my tilt and trim seemed fully operation when flushing, does it work the same when its in gear or is there some kind of resistance? thanks guys

ps: the little bit of throttle I did give her was very responsive!
-----------------------
www.ollysrib.741.com
Old 01 November 2004, 10:31   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
When getting on to the plane I guess you trim the engine right down to help the bow down and when planing to tilt the engine up a bit to lift the bow up a little.

If you dont think your ptt is working at all when planing are you absolutely sure it is power trim and tilt because on my Suzy it is only power tilt so only works at low speeds.
However, yours is a 60 so I would be vey surprised if it didnt have trim as well. I was told one way to tell the difference between the two is power tilt has one ram and trim and tilt has two rams.

Hope this helps,

Alex
Old 01 November 2004, 10:37   #3

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
thanks mate, I'm 90 percent sure it has 2 rams , I will examine it further this evening, thanks
Old 01 November 2004, 12:16   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Champagne Eyes!!!!
Make: Avon
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Olly

The trick i have found with the searider is to slowly add thorttle from a standstill then you will notice the bow is up as the water drians from the hull you will speed up then you plane

Simple

Give us a call and i will come out with you!

Nemo.
Old 03 November 2004, 21:28   #5

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
False advertising...

I thought this was a thread about seatrails...
Old 04 November 2004, 16:51   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
When getting on to the plane I guess you trim the engine right down to help the bow down and when planing to tilt the engine up a bit to lift the bow up a little.

If you dont think your ptt is working at all when planing are you absolutely sure it is power trim and tilt because on my Suzy it is only power tilt so only works at low speeds.
However, yours is a 60 so I would be vey surprised if it didnt have trim as well. I was told one way to tell the difference between the two is power tilt has one ram and trim and tilt has two rams.

Hope this helps,

Alex
Not quite accurate; I have a Mariner 40hp with PTT and it only has one ram.
Old 04 November 2004, 17:34   #7

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
My yamaha 60 had 3 rams if i remembr correctly.

2x power trim
1x tilt

It rises and falls very slowly on the trim untill off the end of the rams and then goes up the rest of the way much faster on the tilt.
Old 04 November 2004, 19:35   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Olly, if you ever want to look at a service manual for your Yam. Mine covers 60f/70b/80a/90a and includes all the details on PTT systems. If you want to know if your trim tilt is working, with the outboard fully tilted up push the down button which should rapid your leg down to about 28 deg. then should slow but continue to lower untill it comes to rest against the stop on the bracket. It should then only travel up to that 28 Deg in trim mode (slow) then rapid after that.

A couple of other peices of info that you might be interested in are: Outboard weight= about 100kg's (depends on leg length), Maximum fuel consumption = 23 litres/hour.

Any dought PM me.

Andy
Old 05 November 2004, 04:56   #9

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Get the Nauticus Smart Tab trim tabs seriously...

Hi Ollyit,
I just recently purchased a 4m searider and on my first day out the boat would literally tilt 20-30 degrees upon acceleration from stop. It felt like I had to climb over a hill to get on plane. I then put the Nauticus Smart tabs on and on the second trial at sea the boat literally had less than 5 degrees bow rise on acceleration!!! I am not kidding. On top of that the tabs make the boat perform at speed like I'm floating above the water on a cushion of air, its a day and night change from before the install. I also noticed that the power tilt of the motor played little in the performance of the boat with these trim tabs. I would also like to state I am NOT affiliated with this company whatsoever. You honestly can't go wrong with this product. If you have more questions, let me know. Or you can go to iboats.com and ask the owner himself. His handle is Nautijohn. Please tell him Boatser referred you.

Boatster,