Old 11 June 2013, 17:18   #1

Length: no boat
Engine: 135Hp 2stroke
MMSI: 3596
1999 Gemini 6m anyone had or has one

Hi, has anyone had any experience with one of these? It’s a 99 model Gemini 6m with a Honda 130, I currently have an Osprey eagle and would like a more modern motor and rib, any comments welcome, I can’t see much about them on Google etc. Thanks
Old 11 June 2013, 18:09   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
welcome to prospective Gemini ownership.
there are a few off us on here ...matybe not enough to start a "lets see your gemini rig" picture thread....so you can search and find some posts about them....MitchC who posts on here has a 7 metre I think.
I have the 550 Waverider, chopped down in the factory as a special order
to 5m to compete in RB4.
I can compare mine to my previous boats, a 4m searider and a Humber Assault, and I find that it rides better than both of those. Its a little wet, but feels extremely well put together. Love the full length Aluminium keel guard fitted to it. Very seaworthy.
Old 11 June 2013, 19:02   #3

Thanks, i will do some searching on here tonight, have you any idea on the model of this one in photo, im looking at it tomo. Thanks again
Old 11 June 2013, 19:03   #4

Town: Essex
Boat name: Kestrel
Make: Gemini
Length: 6m +
Engine: Opti 150
Only a 6 mtr I'm afraid, and probably the sister boat to the one you are looking at.
There were 10 identical RIBs made as support boats to the 2000 Clipper RTW yacht race and then used as charter boats in the solent.
CLIPPER GEMINI : Boats : ribs : fast rigid hull inflatable power boats : inflatables : hotribs
The original layout was console at the back with 6 jockey seats in front.

They were all named after birds of prey, ours is called Kestrel.
There should be two round inspection hatches on the face of the splash well, and the boats name is usually written on the inside of the hatch cover....
They originally had 150 optimax Mariner engines fitted, with ~150lts under floor tanks. I've moved the console into a similar position to the one you are looking at, it makes the boat much more balanced.

Interesting fact, if you look inside the round hatches you'll see coke bottles bonded to the inside of the hull. Apparently you can completely swamp the boat with deflated tubes and they'll still float.....you can try it if you want and tell me if it works
I've been out in some mad big seas and the boat handled it easily. With the 150 opti, we've seen 46 knots, two up with 1/2 full tanks.
I've just had mine re-tubed and currently polishing the hull, which so far is coming up like new! I'll post some photo's once it's done.
Any bad points...it's a bit easier to stuff the nose as it doesn't have the upswept bow as some UK boats do, but apart from that I'm really happy. If you google Gemini RIBs you'll see some great images; in South Africa they launch them of the beach through the surf...very cool.

Any questions send me a PM...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01000.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	81312   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC9698.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	81314   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8860.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	81315  
Old 11 June 2013, 19:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crezzlin View Post
Thanks, i will do some searching on here tonight, have you any idea on the model of this one in photo, im looking at it tomo. Thanks again
It's a 6m wave rider.
Old 11 June 2013, 19:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchc View Post
It's a 6m wave rider.
Fantastic info

From what the guy has told me the motor is the same year as the boat a 99 model, and it has a 120ltr tank, so with it been fitted from new with smaller 4stroke maybe they put a smaller tank in..

other than that it looks clean, can you tell me why you had your tubes done? was it just the age or damage? Thanks
Old 11 June 2013, 19:40   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
A pal of mine recently sold a 5.5. I thought it was a bit of a medium Vee, leisure orientated rib. More comfort and inshore than a true offshore outfit.

It also had underfloor storage which tended to annoyingly flood.
Old 11 June 2013, 19:52   #8

Our retube was due to age of tubes, they'd started to lose a little air and in places were coming slightly detached. Also looked a bit tatty due to the UV degradation of the blue wear patches and grab ropes.
Fuel tank...I've definitely put more than 120lts in ours in one go....
They'll be a HIN number stamped on the transom and a plate with model details, you'll be able to work out the year from that.
Again from the engine number you should be able to work out the year.

I saw the photos on ebay.
Not sure that the stainless transom plate and cap is original, I'd have a good look inside the transom and check for other engine mount holes or repairs.
If the engine is original to the boat, you'd only expect one set of mount holes.....
I think the tubes look original, but the wear patches look like they've been replaced....

Good luck, I hope you like it. They are built like brick out houses.
Old 11 June 2013, 20:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
A pal of mine recently sold a 5.5. I thought it was a bit of a medium Vee, leisure orientated rib. More comfort and inshore than a true offshore outfit.

It also had underfloor storage which tended to annoyingly flood.
Definitely not just an inshore leisure rib, i'd put mine up against any RIB in any condition and be very confident we'd come out ok....!
Yep the underfloor storage is great but can be a bit leaky from water on the deck. Ours is resealed with larger rubber strips and now is almost 100% dry.
Any water that does gather has a drain into the bilge and is pumped out with a auto pump.
Old 11 June 2013, 20:17   #10
RIBnet supporter

the tubes have been replaced on mine as well... due to age, and some part of its previous life being spent as a watersports/ activity centre/ski boat. As mitch says the hulls are built like brick proverbials.
Contrary to what Mollers friend says, I cant see anyway in the world that the hull is a medium v, and its not leisure enough for the South African lifeboat institution or the Australian special forces.
Mine doesn't have underfloor storage, it has a 200 litre full length tank. The deck is made up of panels though, some are sealed up on mine and some latched for access, always have a bilge pump down there, only time mine has flooded has been when I had smashed my bilge pump and didnt realise, and with the boat on a mooring and uncovered it sat through a torrential rain storm one night. As Mitch says - they have a ton of bouyancy and even flooded it was still afloat.
Dont take our word for it though, if your parting with cash, insist on a sea trial and make your own mind up. If they wont sea trial it, be a little concerned.
Check the condition of the tubes and the seams carefully, all the usual stuff, see the engine running on muffs etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gillan 1.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	81318  
Old 11 June 2013, 20:21   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Definitely not just an inshore leisure rib, i'd put mine up against any RIB in any condition and be very confident we'd come out ok....!
By "OK", do you mean alive?

I've not helmed a Gemini, but having cruised with one and an RC585 and a 5.8 Vipermax, the later two would certainly be my prefered choice.
Old 11 June 2013, 20:21   #12

Quote:
Our retube was due to age of tubes, they'd started to lose a little air and in places were coming slightly detached. Also looked a bit tatty due to the UV degradation of the blue wear patches and grab ropes.
Fuel tank...I've definitely put more than 120lts in ours in one go....
They'll be a HIN number stamped on the transom and a plate with model details, you'll be able to work out the year from that.
Again from the engine number you should be able to work out the year.

I saw the photos on ebay.
Not sure that the stainless transom plate and cap is original, I'd have a good look inside the transom and check for other engine mount holes or repairs.
If the engine is original to the boat, you'd only expect one set of mount holes.....
I think the tubes look original, but the wear patches look like they've been replaced....

Good luck, I hope you like it. They are built like brick out houses.

I Can't see the boat on ebay? it was on a local website for 10k if that sounds about rite?
Old 11 June 2013, 20:39   #13

It was on eBay last week got to 7k but didn't meet the reserve.
Item number was 261224325256, not sure if it'll still be listed as the auction ended.
Old 11 June 2013, 20:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post

By "OK", do you mean alive?

I've not helmed a Gemini, but having cruised with one and an RC585 and a 5.8 Vipermax, the later two would certainly be my prefered choice.
Alive is always preferable ;-)
Horse for courses,
I love my rib it gives me lots of confidence. I've also helmed lots of ribs, i think the Gemini is up there with the best.
Old 11 June 2013, 23:02   #15

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Not sure what models but our water police and maritime have been using Geminis for years. Probably about the 6m size. Very quick especially through the chop.
Old 12 June 2013, 13:23   #16

Thanks For your input guys, it was between the Gemini and a Ribeye 725, as much as I love the look of the Ribeye it has a 99 Yamaha Vmax 150 2stroke that would use much more fuel plus it has no jockey seats so for them two reasons I’ve gone for the Gemini. Just hope I’ve made the right choice J
Old 12 June 2013, 14:28   #17

Town: British Columbia
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Just hope I’ve made the right choice J
I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Gemini. I do not have experience with their RIBs, but I have a 4.7m Gemini SIB (Dive 470) which is extremely well made. It has a far sturdier build than a zodiac FC470, which is often considered the standard for professional grade SIBs.
Old 12 June 2013, 22:18   #18
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Thanks For your input guys, it was between the Gemini and a Ribeye 725, as much as I love the look of the Ribeye it has a 99 Yamaha Vmax 150 2stroke that would use much more fuel plus it has no jockey seats so for them two reasons I’ve gone for the Gemini. Just hope I’ve made the right choice J
great
when you get it - post a few pics on here !
Old 13 June 2013, 00:12   #19

Thanks will upload some on Sunday, going out for a play Sunday morning
Old 16 June 2013, 19:36   #20

Town: Värmdö, Stockholm
Boat name: Bea
Make: Aquapro
Engine: Mercury 40hp 2st
Did you get it? I've spotted it on Ebay and was interested myself.