Old 26 June 2013, 17:41   #21

Length: no boat
Engine: 135Hp 2stroke
MMSI: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbingman View Post
Did you get it? I've spotted it on Ebay and was interested myself.

Hi sorry ive just seen this post, No i had to back out, gutted as the boat really is very tidy
Old 17 September 2013, 22:35   #22

Town: Cambs
Length: 4m +
Guys
Excuse the lack of 'hello' as of yet but I have spent yet another night pouring every forum and website trying to find info on what to buy...
This boat is up for sale again (ebay) as the guy selling has a toy for summer then moves it on. All seems quite genuine but the price is £9995 (to be haggled...)
My main concern is the value side of things as this is my top budget after selling the car/ boat/ other runabout and I don't want to find out its worth £7k....
Any advice would really be appreciated !!
Mark
Old 17 September 2013, 23:23   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
err... its worth what you will pay for it I guess.
All the relevant things from this thread apply.
Check condition of tubes, the lay up on these boats is extremely strong - it should have full length keel guard, ditch the ping pong bailer if it has one...
Check the engine hours, make sure its pumping water ...all the usual stuff.
If you think its in good nick and all in order, make him an offer on what you think its worth.
Personally - its just my opinion... but the trailer is maybe worth 1500, the engine is 11 years old, maybe 2500 to 3000 - and the boat maybe 3000.... offer him 7500.
Old 18 September 2013, 07:06   #24

Town: Essex
Boat name: Kestrel
Make: Gemini
Length: 6m +
Engine: Opti 150
See below
Old 18 September 2013, 07:18   #25

I think Must Rib has got it pretty much bang on....£7500 is about right. Before the retube that's about what I had mine insured for.
As mentioned in the previous posts it looks like its still on original tubes, which after 13 years will be past their best. I know the ones fitted to mine were so if you plan to keep it budget for new ones soon.

I'd still be looking to check the Honda engine has been installed ok and why there is a s/steel cap on the transom.
They were really uncommon in the UK in 2000 (and still are TBH) and all the ones I've seen have the opti 150 fitted. I think the Honda has different mount hole spacing to the Mercury, ideally the original holes should have been filled and then new holes made for the Honda. Check inside the transom via the inspection hatches for signs of the good repair.
PM me if you want to talk about my experience of owning a Gemini...._all good so far by the way!
Old 18 September 2013, 08:22   #26

Thanks guys
I know the bowriders but this is my first trip into the rib market and I cannot seem to get my head around the used market for these... the values are all over the place...
I'm doing the usual and the budget needs to rise but £10k is my max and there doesn't seem to be much at that amount with seating for the 4 of us and a nice engine.
Is there some kind of used value calculation or is it just shopping around until you see 'the one' ?
Am I better off going for a Ribeye with an older style engine or something like the Gemini with a bigger/ newer style engine ?
Old 18 September 2013, 09:27   #27

My advice:
You need to take your time and not jump at the first boat you see....I'd say you need to go out in as many RIBs as possible and get to understand the pros and cons of each design.
There's plenty out there the will tick most of your boxes but I believe there will always be a small compromise when buying 2nd hand, but if you go with eyes open you'll find something pretty close to your requirements.
Go for the newest engine you can get (4/ or DI 2/) the old carb model 2/ do drink more fuel/oil.

Pros of the Gemini: solid build, very wide beam so lots of deck space, very stable at low speed
Cons of the Gemini: in my view not many......

Typed on the iPhone so excuse any typos!
Old 18 September 2013, 09:50   #28

Thanks a million Mitch
I am also looking at the Valiant that Oli had for sale which is a preferred engine of mine and a newer combo but another £1k and probably not as good a layout as the other one. Any views on valiant 520 ?
Mark
Old 18 September 2013, 10:22   #29

TBH never helmed a valiant ( apart from small 3.5 mtr tenders) but when I've looked at them at boat shows I didn't think they would suit my needs of UK coastal wave bashing....
I'm sure they'll be lots of opinions out there, I personally would not put a valiant in my top 10.

What's the internal beam of he valiant compared to other ribs. I was down at Mylor a couple of weeks ago and had to raft up against some other well known RIBS and was amazed at how small they felt inside compared to my Gemini...
If you are going out with 4 + passengers internal volumes will be important

Keep looking...
Old 22 September 2013, 21:49   #30

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Nice to see that the valiant is getting a kicking yet again. Getting fed up with the same old sh@t. They are a family boat so have loads of room, storage, plenty of beam, very dry and stable if a bit stern heavy. Move the console forward and it's brilliant for the money. I have never felt that mine struggled in even 2m plus seas off the west coast of scotland But don't rely on my opinion as I only have a couple of hundred hours driving PAC 22 and sea riders.!
Old 22 September 2013, 21:59   #31

Must be honest and say its a minefield if you're new to ribs and opinions will always differ...
The valiant sold, the Gemini sold and no doubt the next one I'm looking at will sell quickly while I ask people some questions.
I've had loads of boats over a few years and the problem with spending around £10k is there's not much (in the rib market) about so I end up wondering what's up with something when it fits my budget !
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's going to be my decision about layout and engine etc because nobody is going to agree what's best.
As long as they hold their value to a point then we should all be ok.
Just my thoughts...