Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 February 2008, 17:59   #21

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
Yes I have to concede the saddles have proven the achillies heel for many outboard powered race craft, however we are not yet certain what Merc will come up with for it's racing 350hp Verado should it of course be a racing version at all...but I bet Merc would not mind having a stab at the RB with it especially if they thought they had a chance...it would make for good advertising in the USA I recon
Old 12 February 2008, 09:01   #22

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribit View Post
Yes I have to concede the saddles have proven the achillies heel for many outboard powered race craft, however we are not yet certain what Merc will come up with for it's racing 350hp Verado should it of course be a racing version at all...but I bet Merc would not mind having a stab at the RB with it especially if they thought they had a chance...it would make for good advertising in the USA I recon
The saddle arrangement will be the same as for the other 6 cylinder Verados, there is little point in changing something that was designed for that horsepower in the first place. It won't be a racing version either, just a 350 version of the 300!

Mercury USA have nothing to do with the UK - that is left to Barrus, and as they are supporting the race logistically they won't be supporting individual boats. The only way the US would be involved is if a US team supported by Mercury came over, and the 350 won't be out by then anyway - it's still only officially a rumour as far as I know!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2008, 09:05   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
[]

Must stop drinking wine in the afternoon

Never realised how much of the jolly juice we would need so basically its our secret weapon

Due to weight and set up when the boat is fully fueled i guss mid 70. It appears though reading various threads this may not change much as when light will have wrong props.

My question was aimed at running say 200 kg of fuel to with correct props.
I think if you're talking about your slowest maximum speed, the I think mid seventies should be easily achievable full of fuel and a couple of cases of nice red - I'm liking the Wolf Blass yellow label at the moment - it's on a deal at Tescos online!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2008, 10:57   #24

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
I think a reasonable speed gauge amoungst many I have noted could be the 33' wonky Phantom ripper in P1, if I recall it first raced with 425hp engines therefore min weight 3825Kg and it managed late 70's perhaps 80mph as fuel ran down...it now races with 475hp engines therefore min weight 4275Kg, it must be assumed it runs better now with more Hp and more weight as it appears to be closer to the pack running mid 80's although it tends to drop back as the leaders fuel burns off and they push towards 90mph...as your boat will be considerably lighter I really would of thought with prop testing and assuming the drives are at the correct height early to mid 80's should be available, even loaded with fuel for RB I assume you will be lighter than 3825Kg so surely 80mph should be within grasp, throttling back to save engine problems therefore should leave you around early 70's for most of the race...hopefully it will be up and running soon and we can all stop surmising

Wolf Blass that's not bad actually
Old 12 February 2008, 16:47   #25

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Hey Barry

When is the launch day?

Want to come out and out and take some pictures.

Tell Gareth to hurry up.

Cheers

Mark
Old 12 February 2008, 17:23   #26

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey View Post
Hey Barry

When is the launch day?

Want to come out and out and take some pictures.

Tell Gareth to hurry up.

Cheers

Mark

3 months ago.

Thanks for the offer we want some good shots for our web page

www.followthebandit.com