Old 06 April 2009, 10:15   #21

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I had this at a Sainsbury's garage, some ridiculous woman kept banging on about vapour pressure. A half full jerry can seems more dangerous than a full one.

I just leave them in the back or use pay at pump.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2009, 11:18   #22

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I spoke too soon. Went to fill 4 cans this morning, only to be told when I went in to pay it was illegal to carry more than 10l in ur car. The cashier wasn't too fussed and let me take them anyway, but it does make me wonder if there has been some sort of warning recently.
Old 06 April 2009, 11:33   #23

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to willfinch36
I filled up the other day,tesco pay @ pump ... two 5Ls two 10Ls and a 25L jerry can! Probably couldnt see me! what they dont know wont hurt them!
Old 06 April 2009, 11:51   #24

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Yes it is silly. It appears to be local authority rules, not law. i've had the debate as to a 25l tank is a tank or "container". Aapparantly you can fill a stainless steeel "container" of a larger capacity. Can't see the logic myself. Sainsburys do seem to be the worst, local independent is fine.

Considering most advice is not I've seen is to avoid refuelling a 25l tank whilst afloat how is one meant to fuel the standard - and very common 25l plastic tank? I'd love to hear the official local trading standards reply!

LT
Old 06 April 2009, 21:44   #25

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Yep my view too .. keep yer cans in the boot when you fill any.... no muppet will see em .. unless they got their HSE killjoy goggles on ....
Old 06 April 2009, 21:49   #26

Town: Shepperton
Boat name: Shamu
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I spoke too soon. Went to fill 4 cans this morning, only to be told when I went in to pay it was illegal to carry more than 10l in ur car. The cashier wasn't too fussed and let me take them anyway, but it does make me wonder if there has been some sort of warning recently.
that was a similar reaction to what i got. they didnt seem overly concerned but felt it necessary to tell me.
Old 15 April 2009, 19:26   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Well it had to happen -after saying the local Shell station was fine - I went fill 2 x 25l & 1 5l tanks & guess what - 'you should only carry 2 tanks in the car - I should confiscate them , but I'll let you off this time' 'If the police stop you - you didn't get it here !'

Typical - 2 tanks - of what 5 l each or 25 L each? He didnt find that comment funny - so I made sharp exit at that point !
Old 16 April 2009, 09:43   #28

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I like the "I should confiscate them" bit, surely thats theft?
Old 16 April 2009, 13:07   #29

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I have never had any trouble but I always fill my two 'jerries' at filling stations where I boat rather than where I live as I thinkk the have a better view of the needs of boaters and rely on the trade which is considerable over the year.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2009, 14:57   #30

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
This was at my local that I have been using for 6 years ! Every thing will happen in the boot of the car now. I wont try & be 'nice' by showing them I have proper tanks I am filling.

Bloody jobsworths ! I cant stand it !
Old 16 April 2009, 15:08   #31

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Here's the link repeated from post 17 above:

http://www.rya.org.uk/assets/legal/W...F%20PETROL.pdf

The quantities that are permitted to be filled at a petrol station distinguish between 'Plastc Containers', 'Metal Containers', built-in petrol tanks and portable petrol tanks. The legally permissible quantities are additionally subject to any policy requirements of the particular filling station.

Having once filled what is permitted, there are different rules as to what can then be carried in a car or truck.

The above link should answer most questions and the advice in it could easily be printed off and kept for production if necessary.
Old 24 April 2009, 10:35   #32

Town: Devon
Boat name: Junk at the moment
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 4hp 2t
This kind of explains what happened to me in Sainsburys last week.
Nothing to do with boats,but I run my car on 50/50 WVO and diesel. So I fill 10l into each of two 20l containers then when I get home I top them up with veg so I can make sure it is well mixed before putting it in the tank.
Any ways after about 5 litres the pump shut off,so assumig there was a problem with the pump I waved at the cashier and then saw a woman in Sainburys uniform on her way to me.

TBH I was shocked when she started ranting about how what I was doing was illegal and not to do it in their station again. So what about the rest of my fuel I asked. And was told that I would not be allowed to pump any more,at which point I refused to pay for the pumped diesel and made her pour it back into the tanks.

She was also informed that she didnt have to worry as I wouldnt bother pumping anything at her station ever again.

I have been doing this for at least ten years without issue. Bloody jobsworth.

Mike
Old 24 April 2009, 12:45   #33

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80

i have had the same problem filling up plastic cans with diesel.
I asked the jobsworth in question to explain exactly how the petrolium spirit regulations should be applied to a product that was clearly by definition an oil and not a spirit.
after a few seconds he admitted he never knew diesel was different to petrol and had different regulations regarding storage and transport, then gave up the arguement
Old 24 April 2009, 17:02   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike13401 View Post

TBH I was shocked when she started ranting about how what I was doing was illegal and not to do it in their station again. So what about the rest of my fuel I asked. And was told that I would not be allowed to pump any more,at which point I refused to pay for the pumped diesel and made her pour it back into the tanks.
next time put the WVO in first - then she will have a real issue if she wants to pour it back in the tanks. To be fair to the staff there are usually fairly prominent signs up saying what the limits are: if you're getting caught you're all being too conspicuous. Start filling the car - then fill the tanks - and pick a pump and side of car with poor line of sight.
Old 24 April 2009, 20:30   #35

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post

i have had the same problem filling up plastic cans with diesel.
I asked the jobsworth in question to explain exactly how the petrolium spirit regulations should be applied to a product that was clearly by definition an oil and not a spirit.
after a few seconds he admitted he never knew diesel was different to petrol and had different regulations regarding storage and transport, then gave up the arguement
Chemistry is not these goons' strong point I wont tell you about the argument I had with a midwife ( who should have known better) about oxygen being dangerous ( according to her ) whilst my wife was giving birth suffice to say that, the fact that she needed to inhale it to stay alive was obviously lost on the girl