Old 14 April 2013, 09:00   #1

Valient 520

Hi everybody, I've just joined so not sure if I'm doing this right but it here we go ! I am going to see a 2003 Valiant rib this week with a 60hp mariner engine fitted with 250 hours on it, it is £7500 with the trailer ? It will be used in the sea in Mallorca for general fun and maybe a bit of wakeboarding ? Is this the right boat for the job and does anybody know if my Honda 2.3 engine will fit at the side of the main engine and work as a backup to limp back ?

Cheers
Dave
Old 14 April 2013, 09:52   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by david hunt View Post
Hi everybody, I've just joined so not sure if I'm doing this right but it here we go ! I am going to see a 2003 Valiant rib this week with a 60hp mariner engine fitted with 250 hours on it, it is £7500 with the trailer ?
A quick google suggests that package is probably about £17k new (inc Vat). There is a very crude rule of thumb that says take off the vat, then 10% per annum (compound). Obviously that ignores supply/demand for particular boats, location, condition etc. There are seasonal variations too - generally expect to pay more now than in November. It would put your boat at the higher end to me - i.e. I would be expecting it to be very good condition, or coming through a dealer with warranty etc, plotter VHF etc?. RIB tubes last 10-20 yrs typically [PVC will last 10 yrs, top end hypalon with good care can last 30, they are probably PU which aesthetically seems to age quite well - but when they start to go it could be the end rather than DIY repairable]... so needs close examination if stored outside with no cover etc.

Quote:
It will be used in the sea in Mallorca for general fun and maybe a bit of wakeboarding ? Is this the right boat for the job
The boat is certainly not inappropriate. Someone who knows about wakeboarding will be able to comment on that aspect with a 60 HP. Does it have a suitable A-frame.
Quote:
and does anybody know if my Honda 2.3 engine will fit at the side of the main engine and work as a backup to limp back ?
It would really be a limp with a 2.3. General rule of thumb is 1HP per m for an aux. a 2.3 might hold you in one place waiting for help though. The Honda 2/2.3 is quite "fat" though...
Old 14 April 2013, 10:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
A quick google suggests that package is probably about £17k new (inc Vat). There is a very crude rule of thumb that says take off the vat, then 10% per annum (compound). Obviously that ignores supply/demand for particular boats, location, condition etc. There are seasonal variations too - generally expect to pay more now than in November. It would put your boat at the higher end to me - i.e. I would be expecting it to be very good condition, or coming through a dealer with warranty etc, plotter VHF etc?. RIB tubes last 10-20 yrs typically [PVC will last 10 yrs, top end hypalon with good care can last 30, they are probably PU which aesthetically seems to age quite well - but when they start to go it could be the end rather than DIY repairable]... so needs close examination if stored outside with no cover etc.

The boat is certainly not inappropriate. Someone who knows about wakeboarding will be able to comment on that aspect with a 60 HP. Does it have a suitable A-frame.
It would really be a limp with a 2.3. General rule of thumb is 1HP per m for an aux. a 2.3 might hold you in one place waiting for help though. The Honda 2/2.3 is quite "fat" though...
That's great advice thanks, how can I tell what the tubes are made out of or should it be on the paperwork ? It looks in good condition but would like it to last at least 4 or 5 years for that price, the 2.3 engine is like new so I could probably px for a slightly bigger one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-661364719.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	78681   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-121437369.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	78682  
Old 14 April 2013, 12:56   #4

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
This might help also.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/valiant-...perts-398.html
Old 14 April 2013, 13:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnomad View Post
That's great cheers, I will now be going to view this boat with a much better understanding
Old 14 April 2013, 15:32   #6

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
David, I recommend the valiant as a great family boat. It has a comfortable layout with a great bow locker etc. The PU tubes on mine still look brand new and not come to a disastrous end wave jumping in big seas. Yes get a boat cover as it will protect against sun, dirt and prying eyes. Many on here are completely blinded to any material not Hypalon and any boat without the utilitarian look.
I have spent many hours in Pac 22 and seariders courtesy of the RN, and yes they are great tough boats but when I want to spend my own money and take the family out, give me comfort any day.
Cheers (I await the searider brigade onslaught now!!)
Old 14 April 2013, 15:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101 View Post
David, I recommend the valiant as a great family boat. It has a comfortable layout with a great bow locker etc. The PU tubes on mine still look brand new and not come to a disastrous end wave jumping in big seas. Yes get a boat cover as it will protect against sun, dirt and prying eyes. Many on here are completely blinded to any material not Hypalon and any boat without the utilitarian look.
I have spent many hours in Pac 22 and seariders courtesy of the RN, and yes they are great tough boats but when I want to spend my own money and take the family out, give me comfort any day.
Cheers (I await the searider brigade onslaught now!!)
That's sound advice, cheers