Old 07 May 2015, 11:27   #1

Town: dublin
Boat name: tomtom
Make: chinook
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 90
tube thread leaking - can i patch

hi all,
I am looking for some feedback on the tubes on a Chinook 5.5m rib. the issue I have is when motoring on the water it seems that water is seeping through the threading of the outer tube and then seeping into the hull again through the threading of the outer tube. is it possible to patch this threading?

thanks,
beardo
Old 07 May 2015, 12:53   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo View Post
hi all,
I am looking for some feedback on the tubes on a Chinook 5.5m rib. the issue I have is when motoring on the water it seems that water is seeping through the threading of the outer tube and then seeping into the hull again through the threading of the outer tube. is it possible to patch this threading?

thanks,
beardo
Like the material has been worn down to the threads? In this case, yes, it should be patched over.

Or water is seeping in through the edge? If water is seeping through the edge, the patch should be unglued and reglued. Although if you're lazy, a little Sika 291 will solve small water leaks.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2015, 13:48   #3

Town: dublin
Boat name: tomtom
Make: chinook
Engine: yamaha 90
thanks Richard M, the edge seems pretty well intact with no gaps and pretty well sealed so I suspect the thread. I know the inner tube has a few issues with valves and possibly needs some patch work etc but I'm highly suspect of the threads.
so you reckon a patch along the thread seam is possible? for the lazy option should I apply the Sika 291 to the outside of the thread, inside access could be tricky.
thoughts appreciated..
Old 07 May 2015, 13:59   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo View Post
thanks Richard M, the edge seems pretty well intact with no gaps and pretty well sealed so I suspect the thread. I know the inner tube has a few issues with valves and possibly needs some patch work etc but I'm highly suspect of the threads.
so you reckon a patch along the thread seam is possible? for the lazy option should I apply the Sika 291 to the outside of the thread, inside access could be tricky.
thoughts appreciated..
No problem at all! I HATE HATE HATE water leaks... I have probably fixed more water leaks than I have air leaks.

You would be surprised! Water is too large and cannot creep through the edge of the material like air can.

However, as the adhesive ages, it can allow a trickle of water to pass by...usually only a few CC per minute.

First off, I would encourage you to diagnose the location. To do this, simply plug your boat up, and fill it up with a garden hose like a bathtub, then simply watch for where the water is dripping out.

If you have one little drippy leak and want to do the lazy method, wipe the surface with acetone or toluene a few times to degrease it...tape off the affected area so you get a clean bead, then apply your Sikaflex. For caulking applied to the exterior, I smooth it down with a spreader. Sharp edges will catch water and cause the caulking to peel off. Really though, the best way to solve these leaks is by ungluing and regluing the bad section though...
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote