Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 April 2013, 16:43   #1
PNC
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dublin
Boat name: Wave Jumper
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150 Honda's
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Tilting trailers or other options

Hi everyone - I'm new to RIBnet but have owned RIB's for >30 years! I currently have a Valiant 7.5 metre with twin 150 Honda's - my biggest problem is launching and recovering without immersing the wheels, brakes, bearings - does anybody know or have a solution to this? If not I'm going to be forced into designing and paying the substantial amount to take this to fruition.
Any help would be greatly appreciated - many thanks Neil
__________________

__________________
PNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2013, 16:49   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Snipe built the "Break back" trailer which helps launch/recover from a shallow starting position but its only for un-braked trailers. I'm not sure its feasible to have it on a larger rig.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2013, 17:01   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Snipe built the "Break back" trailer which helps launch/recover from a shallow starting position but its only for un-braked trailers. I'm not sure its feasible to have it on a larger rig.
They did also do it on single axle braked trailers, cos I used to have one

The trouble with that system is it doesn't really work until the weight has been shifted to the back of the trailer. What you really need is a hydraulic ram which allows you to tilt the bed thus allowing the boat to slide off. Even better, powered by an electric pump with a remote control so you can do it single handed. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a twin axle. In fact, it would be the same sort of setup as on some tilting bed car trailers.
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2013, 17:15   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

They did also do it on single axle braked trailers, cos I used to have one

The trouble with that system is it doesn't really work until the weight has been shifted to the back of the trailer. What you really need is a hydraulic ram which allows you to tilt the bed thus allowing the boat to slide off. Even better, powered by an electric pump with a remote control so you can do it single handed. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a twin axle. In fact, it would be the same sort of setup as on some tilting bed car trailers.
I was thing more about cost, by the time you sent the cash to get the kind of kit your suggesting you may as well dunk the trailer.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2013, 17:54   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Have a look at Bedajim's take on this: Trailer build
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 09:19   #6
PNC
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dublin
Boat name: Wave Jumper
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150 Honda's
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Thank you to all respondents - there certainly is food for thought in the launching trailer option - I will work on that!
__________________
PNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 12:33   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
I was thing more about cost, by the time you sent the cash to get the kind of kit your suggesting you may as well dunk the trailer.
No kidding, for the cost of this fancy tilting braked trailer you could just dunk the non-tilting one and replace the axles+brakes (or the whole thing) every half dozen years.
__________________

__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.