Town: Essex
Boat name: undecided
Make: Humber - Assault
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 60 hp efi
MMSI: next year
So, I have my first rib

Hi all,
As a newbie here I first posted that I wanted an sr4 deluxe. TBH there was a few around but too far for me to travel for a viewing.
So I ended up with a Humber 4.3 m assault with a merc 25hp 4 stroke both 2003 c/w a decent indispension trailer for £*#00.
Launched the craft from Mersea island, Essex a few times with a buddy but notice that with my weight 250lbs standing behind the single seat console that the boat did did not sing, yes it got on plane but weight distribution was clearly wrong.

Next time out was with wifey, she was at the helm whilst I was in the bow doing the trim, by my estimations the boat sang best with my lard in the bow.it was a great trip out to watch Clacton air show but on way back we hit a gravel sandbank about 5/600 metres off of Fen farm/ Mersea.

We got home okay but upon inspection we have ripped the gel coat from middle of hull at front (2 inches wide x 18 inches long).... no worries as it is an easy repair.

Apart from keeping further away from coast I feel I need a depth sounder jobbie,

1- would a garmin striker 4 be okay, (I want to go up rivers)?

2 - any negative points if I move my centre console forward by 13-17 inches?

Thanks. Eze
Old 29 August 2017, 17:30   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
1)Get a combo chart plotter & sounder the sounder on its own is sometimes too late at least with a chart it will show depth soundings prior to getting there.
2) the console if factory fit it will be in the right place.
3) did you play with the trim angle? When you say sing do you think it's hitting max revs and what size prop are you running?
Old 29 August 2017, 18:31   #3
eze
RIBnet supporter

Hi Jeff, what price for a bottom line chart plotter and sounder and recommendations please?

2- agree that factory fitted in correct position but the 4.3 Humber assault has just a single jockey seat, by moving forward ,the trim will still get boat plane and I will gain an extra jockey seat position.
Boat planes best with my 18 stone in bow and my wife's 8/9 stone on console jockey seat. Hence my wanting to move console forward by 13-16 inches (330-400mm)
I agree that boat will plane best with a single person in current position but I need the extra seat and so far trials with me in bow have been favourable rather than negative

3) tbh Jeff I have no idea of prop size and max rpm , I am just going by feel, float and engine sound whilst sitting in bow position.

TBH my background is motorbikes , not boats so any advice is warmly welcomed here.

Thanks

Eze
Old 29 August 2017, 18:42   #4

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Around Mersea Island is notorious for shallow water, sand and gravel banks, even 1km off shore... Fenlander on here has good knowledge of the area but I too have run into a hinden sandbank there... my depth sounder didn't help!
Old 29 August 2017, 19:50   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
Hi Jeff, what price for a bottom line chart plotter and sounder and recommendations please?

2- agree that factory fitted in correct position but the 4.3 Humber assault has just a single jockey seat, by moving forward ,the trim will still get boat plane and I will gain an extra jockey seat position.
Boat planes best with my 18 stone in bow and my wife's 8/9 stone on console jockey seat. Hence my wanting to move console forward by 13-16 inches (330-400mm)
I agree that boat will plane best with a single person in current position but I need the extra seat and so far trials with me in bow have been favourable rather than negative

3) tbh Jeff I have no idea of prop size and max rpm , I am just going by feel, float and engine sound whilst sitting in bow position.

TBH my background is motorbikes , not boats so any advice is warmly welcomed here.

Thanks

Eze
Hi mate

It's a hard one re plotter down to budget and screen size really if you look at force four chandlers on line see what you fancy then do a search for best price it's the right time now to buy but make sure you pick one that has the transducer and navionics uk maps loaded I like lowrance stuff just had a problem with mine just out of warranty they replaced free of charge with an upgraded model.
Re performance crops up a lot your 25 has limitations but should plane ok two up now you need to know your reaching max revs or somewhere near then you can look at your prop if it's too high a pitch you won't get to full rpm ( too high a gear) if your trim is too high it will lift the bow preventing a level plain. This is all presuming the boat and engine is set up correctly.
Weight distribution to fuel forward kit forward etc but you sitting in the bow will soon hurt.
Look on the Humber site for your boat and see if the boats match which will put you at ease of console set up.
Post some pics of the engine particularly cav plate position in relation to keel and trim pin position one hole out can make a big difference.
Sticking my neck out I would say you should be getting 20 knots at WOT.
Look for the prop size on on of the blades or on the centre hub if no Rev counter buy a tiny tack or similar around £20.
Seat wise you could look at up grading to a double jockey don't know you budget but Humber have deals sometimes sell you old one buy a new and fix your self if screwed in easy harder if glassed in unless you get Humber to do it
Old 29 August 2017, 20:04   #6

RIBase
http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/25hp-4-...ugh-35212.html

Here you go have a read of this might be some help/ info quoting 20-22 knots
Old 29 August 2017, 21:24   #7
eze
RIBnet supporter

Hi Jeff,
Cavitation plate is in line with stern, it planes with 2 on board but as stated, prefers the weight up front i.e. If I sit in bow then I trim up more to sing on plane better, if my wife sits in bow (120 lbs) with me at helm , I trim down
to plane.
Now this may sound odd but rib planes better with me 250lbs sitting in bow and wife at helm. I can just hear it and feel it, having said that, I will get a tiny rpm next time out to be sure so I can monitor and report on any changes.
I certainly feel the boat needs me slightly more to bow and with 2 jockey seats utilised I feel that the 13-17" bow movement will be a better balance with a stern jockey

Thanks

Eze
Old 29 August 2017, 21:57   #8
eze
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/25hp-4-...ugh-35212.html

Here you go have a read of this might be some help/ info quoting 20-22 knots
Hi Jeff, no problemo with 20 knots and for now that will do for me. I must however admit that Mrs eze is leaning towards more thrust........but not on my watch😂
Old 30 August 2017, 09:18   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
Hi Jeff, no problemo with 20 knots and for now that will do for me. I must however admit that Mrs eze is leaning towards more thrust........but not on my watch😂
http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/lowranc...tml#post756855

worth thinking about eze if your in the market for one
Old 30 August 2017, 09:56   #10

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
A pal of mine has just bought the same rig with a Mariner 40. It's his first rib, he loves it. However, the more that he uses it and more that I tell him that it would be superb with 60hp, the faster realisation is creeping in. Having power on tap is never about flat out speed. It's about a boat being able to do the stuff that it designed for. An under powered boat in heavy seas is a 'trawler'. Dead to the throttle with the elements in control.
Old 30 August 2017, 15:50   #11
eze
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
A pal of mine has just bought the same rig with a Mariner 40. It's his first rib, he loves it. However, the more that he uses it and more that I tell him that it would be superb with 60hp, the faster realisation is creeping in. Having power on tap is never about flat out speed. It's about a boat being able to do the stuff that it designed for. An under powered boat in heavy seas is a 'trawler'. Dead to the throttle with the elements in control.

Hi there Mollers,

Oh yeah for sure more power would be great, If I did it in the future then a Suzuki df60a 4s would be top of the list, I could use just 10 LPH at 3500 rpm with that power plant if my memory serves me well.

At present I am gonna have to stick with the 25hp as funds do not permit for anything else

respect

eze
Old 30 August 2017, 17:10   #12
eze
RIBnet supporter

Quote: