Old 17 February 2012, 12:28   #1

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Onelife
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 60hp
Raider 4.8m (Ribcraft) - UK

Hi All

Looking to purchase a Raider 4.8m with Mariner 2 stroke 60hp engine, 2003. The hull and tubes are in good condition for age, my only concern is the the engine. I've got evidence of annual service history which is all in good order, started first turn and ran very smoothly. There was some corrosion around the the hydraulic lift motor, which accually worked but looked as if it could cause me some issues, is this the case!!

Steering was very stiff infact it didn't turn at all, the seller promised to service and valet the boat prior to purchase.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Many Thanks

Shaun
Old 17 February 2012, 13:11   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Steering cable is probably rusted solid in the tilt tube. A common problem with boats left standing outdoors for some time.

Difficult to comment on the tilt motor without seeing it - got any pics?
Old 17 February 2012, 13:17   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'd not be too worried about the corrosion unless it really was bad and the metal was actualy flaking off. A stiff wire brush and suitable painting may sort.

Sound like the steering has seized - usually this is at the engine end of the system, but if you can get to undo the drag link from the engine and then see if the wheel moves it willcomfirm. New cables are not a huge cost , but can be a bugger to feed through it it under the deck etc.

A search on here for sized steering wil show up the how to remedy. If he is getting it seviced -( I 'd assume professionaly) get the receipt and make sure they do the stuff you may not want to do ( unless into some DIY which to be fair is not too hard) - ie impellor, gear oil ,and plugs , and of course the steering is free'd up !
Old 17 February 2012, 13:17   #4

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Hello Shaun

Welcome and I hope it works out with your boat.

The PTT motors often corrode, it's worth re-spraying or protecting but once it's gone it's gone, approx £150 to replace. They tend to go like that when sat in saltwater. Like you say they still work until the saltwater gets in.

As advised on the steering, give it a few knocks with a hammer on the return bar end it may loosen off, then grease it up as best you can. You cannot grease the inner unit unless you remove the teleflex from the tube. don't be tempted to try and force it at the wheel, your cause more damage

Whilst it's off is run a 16mm extended drill through the tube just to take off any rust. That will help with the steering. Sometimes you have to take the engine off to be able to get the steering removed, not so much on ribs but it depends on the space along the transom. Worst case a new cable is around £50, or entire unit including helm about £90. these are budget units though.

When refitting search eBay for "steering saver" these work same as bearing savers and give you the facility to grease the tube in the future. Worth the investment

Other than that you've got a decent motor.

Give us a shout if you need any further advice.

Enjoy!
Old 17 February 2012, 14:51   #5

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/anyone-...tml#post288324

Old 17 February 2012, 18:15   #6

Town: Portaferry
Make: Avon
Engine: 30hp
"steering saver" any more detail all on eBay are for bikes
Old 17 February 2012, 21:52   #7

It's a gaiter, like on a steering rack. I use track rod end boots instead - work very well. : thumbs:
Old 17 February 2012, 22:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI3GTO
"steering saver" any more detail all on eBay are for bikes
Just checked and there's none listed now. It's basically a nut with a grease nipple on it, this replaces the brass nut that secure the cable to the tube. It just gives the facility to grease the internals without having to remove etc

They were on eBay for £20.
Old 17 February 2012, 22:43   #9

Full process as found in google

1 of 4
Unbolt the steering tilt tube (the steering link arm) from the outboard motor using a 9/16-inch socket wrench. Remove the steering arm from the tube and sand it with extra fine sandpaper.
2 of 4
Clean any hardened marine grease from the inside of the tube by spraying the inside of the tube with a penetrating lubricant. Thread a piece of extra fine sandpaper into the rod from a firearm bore cleaning kit, attach the rod to a drill and put the tube into a bench vise to hold it tightly. On slow speed, run the cleaning rod through the tube. If the inside of the tube is badly rusted, replace the tube with a stainless steel tilt tube to avoid future problems.
3 of 4
Replace the nut on the tilt tube with a nut that has a zerk fitting (a nippled grease-gun fitting) for future lubrication. Tighten the nut in place.
4 of 4
Grease the cable through the newly installed grease fitting with a grease gun, using the marine grease recommended by the steering system manufacturer.
Old 18 February 2012, 09:13   #10

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
Well, this is a really really interesting thread for me!, I've just purchased a Ribcraft 4.8 with a 60 Mariner 2 Stroke built in 2003, its not yellow is it !?!

I took mine out last weekend, and to be fair it was -4 or so, but the steering was pretty solid and took a little while to get freed up. Its still quite stiff now,so the posts above are just what I needed .. thanks Gents.
Old 18 February 2012, 09:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacebat View Post
I've just purchased a Ribcraft 4.8 with a 60 Mariner 2 Stroke built in 2003
How much did it cost you?
Old 19 February 2012, 03:27   #12

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
Now theres a question .. 5400 which appears to be pretty much the going rate for them .. from a really nice chap on here!