Old 21 February 2016, 03:36   #1

Town: Penascola, FL
Boat name: Sandpiper
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: None
RabidClarkian chiming in.

Nice to meet you all.

Last summer, I acquired an Avon Rover R2-80 (which I assume is an RIB). I have used it twice since I got it for free from a friend of my father's. Unfortunately, my ability to use it is limited due to me not having a means to transport it without the help others who have trucks or a trailer.

That being said, I am looking to buy a trailer for the boat (it's currently stored in a regular trailer in a covered carport) so that I can take it out whenever I want to do so. I do not know much at all about boats, and my father seems reluctant to allow me to move forward with getting a trailer and an outboard motor for this boat so he has not really been answering my questions. So now, I turn to you all. Is there any particular type of trailer I should be looking to buy for this boat?

I do have one last question. The max horsepower capacity for the boat is 8 horsepower. I don't intend to go any higher, but I would prefer a 4 stroke for fuel economy. I do know, however, that four strokes are heaver than equivalent HP two-stroke motors. Would a four-stroke 8 HP motor be too heavy for this boat? It seems that if it is, I'll have to go with either a two-stroke 8 HP motor or a four-stroke 6 HP motor (I would just make the decision based on what deal is best for me). Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old 21 February 2016, 07:14   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi and s big welcome to you. I hope you find the forum informative and supportive. I'm sure the sib guys will be along ins moment to assist you.
Safe sibbing.
Cheers
J

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 08:31   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi RC and welcome.

Over the years (perhaps 30 or so) the Avon Rover 2.8m has been available as a GRP hard floor, wooden sectional floor or high pressure air floor with differing outboard specs depending on type/age so the age and variant of yours is important.

As an example a ten year old Rover 2.8 with GRP floor was 10hp rated up to a weight of 88lbs. A similar age air floor Rover 2.8 is rated to 6hp and 80lbs.

A 4-stroke Mercury 8hp will weigh 84lbs so you'd be a bit under if GRP floor or a bit over with an air floor. A 6hp Mercury 4-stroke weighs 57lbs and to my mind is much more suited to such a small boat.

If you went for something like a Tohatsu 2-stroke both 6 & 8hp are the same with just tuning differences weighing in at 57lbs.

I also have a copy of a manual in the file for a 20yr old Rover where the sectional wooden floor 2.8 version is rated to a maximum of 10hp with 8hp advised but no weight mentioned. I'd assume that was based on a 2-stroke.
Old 21 February 2016, 08:35   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidClarkian View Post
I acquired an Avon Rover R2-80 (which I assume is an RIB).
round these parts you'll see them referred to as SIB's rather than RIBs (a soft rather than rigid bottom).

Quote:
I am looking to buy a trailer for the boat (it's currently stored in a regular trailer in a covered carport) so that I can take it out whenever I want to do so.
Normally people would be looking at a small trailer with bunks - at that size possibly marketed at Jet skis. With a SIB you don't want rollers.

However with such a small boat, since you already have what I assume is a little utility trailer (sort of thing people use for trips to the dump, or when there is too much stuff to fit in the car for a camping trip), then I'd consider adding "bunks" onto the top of it (letting you keep the engine, fuel tank, life jackets, anchor and any other equipment in the trailer itself) and the boat can stay inflated on top. Unlike a boat trailer you wouldn't drive it in to launch/recover - but that will save you a heap of maintenance cost and hassle. Depending how strong you are you may need some little ramps (planks of wood) to help you get it up/down. If you are using it alone then some transom wheels will make life much easier.

I'm sure I've seen someone else on here using this approach. However you should check your state's rules on overhangs on trailers.

Quote:
I do not know much at all about boats, and my father seems reluctant to allow me to move forward with getting a trailer and an outboard motor for this boat so he has not really been answering my questions.
OK, fathers are often very wise! Why is he so reluctant? How old are you? Is it going to mean he has to give up his time to take your there? Is he concerned about safety - I think that is a legitimate concern if you know nothing about boats... over here we would signpost you to an RYA powerboat course. I am sure there will be something similar in the US.

Quote:
Would a four-stroke 8 HP motor be too heavy for this boat? It seems that if it is, I'll have to go with either a two-stroke 8 HP motor or a four-stroke 6 HP motor (I would just make the decision based on what deal is best for me). Thanks in advance for your answers!
you'll find many small engines share most parts and are thus similar weights. You need to look at the spec for the engine to know if 6 will really be lighter than 8. Does the transom plate state a maximum engine weight? How old is the boat?
Old 21 February 2016, 08:51   #5
RIBnet admin team

Here are examples of what I was meaning:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-lau...lly-36272.html
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/turning...sib-55444.html
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/what-is...b-25070-3.html
Old 21 February 2016, 09:13   #6

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 50
Welcome buddy, I have very little small inflatable experience but do have a Tohatsu 6 as a backup for me mid sized sib, it's a little work horse.

Looks like my friends acrossed the pond have already made some great points, I'll just add stay safe and have fun with your dad.

All the best
Old 22 February 2016, 13:24   #7

Thanks everyone for the advice and information. My main concern at this time is to be able to easily use the boat whenever I wish. It seems that an outboard motor for this boat would be out of the question.

I did ask my father why he was reluctant to help me, and it was due to safety concerns. He thought that I was going to take the boat way out into the Gulf of Mexico (I planned on staying in smaller bodies of water because I'm not so daring). I asked him what he'd recommend for that boat, and I told him some of the things that you all said. I told him that based on what you all have told me, I plan on going with a troll motor instead and I'll just stick to rivers and small lakes. He seemed relieved once I told him.

I will eventually get a bigger boat (probably an RIB, I'm sold on inflatables after getting this boat).

I was also unaware that my boat is an SIB (it does have a wood bottom and back) but I did see that RIBs typically have more of a hard V hull so I guess I should have taken that into consideration. Thanks again for the information everyone!
Old 22 February 2016, 13:45   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
It seems that an outboard motor for this boat would be out of the question.
a 6HP will probably still get you on the plane with just 1 person on board?
Old 22 February 2016, 13:53   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Sounds good. Have a look at this - your father will like it

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/what-ki...sib-42712.html
Old 22 February 2016, 15:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
a 6HP will probably still get you on the plane with just 1 person on board?
It is not an issue with planning. It just seems that using an outboard on that boat will make it significantly harder for me to launch it. A troll motor will probably serve my purposes better since I want to be able to easily take the boat out by myself.
Old 22 February 2016, 15:21   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
It seems that an outboard motor for this boat would be out of the question.
Suggestions for motors have been made (and sound pretty reasonable.)

Quote:
I did ask my father why he was reluctant to help me, and it was due to safety concerns. He thought that I was going to take the boat way out into the Gulf of Mexico
Always found the best way to change Dad's mind was to get him involved, rather than trying to get approval for what you want to do. How about having him help you source and mount an engine, or ask him for help with the trailer?

On that subject, I've seen small inflatables carried on something very similar to flatbed utility trailers; best if you have an open center so you're not putting undue pressure on the keel. One of the quickest I've seen was a small utility trailer with what looked like extruded aluminum bleacher seat sections bolted on for the tubes to sit on.

Quote:
I was also unaware that my boat is an SIB (it does have a wood bottom and back) but I did see that RIBs typically have more of a hard V hull so I guess I should have taken that into consideration. Thanks again for the information everyone!
SIB's are basically a tubeset, with a fabric bottom glued on. Shape is usually formed from a keel (either wood or inflatable) that stretches the bottom to form something of a vee. The usually have a wooden or composite transom between the tubes at the back for engine mounting. A rigid floor (usually multiple pieces of wood or aluminum; or a high pressure inflatable type) keep the occupants from treading on the fabric bottom and keel.

A RIB is a solid GRP, fiberglass, or aluminum hull, onto which tubes are attached. The transom is part of that hull. They ride much better in rougher water, but are heavier and harder to store than a SIB (which can be easily broken down a rolled up.)

Welcome to the forum, and good luck;

jky
Old 22 February 2016, 16:27   #12

Jysaki,

Thanks for your advice. The reason why I am ruling out an outboard motor (though I suppose that can change later) is because I'd probably have trouble launching the boat by myself with an outboard. Plus, I plan on just sticking to small rivers and bodies of water. I already have a troll motor that I will use so I'll start with that. I do plan on getting a large RIB in the future (probably something like the Avon Seasport 430) in the future.
Old 23 February 2016, 15:11   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Jysaki,

Thanks for your advice. The reason why I am ruling out an outboard motor (though I suppose that can change later) is because I'd probably have trouble launching the boat by myself with an outboard.
Don't really see the thrust of reasoning here, but maybe you're anticipating things I'm not.

Quote:
Plus, I plan on just sticking to small rivers and bodies of water. I already have a troll motor that I will use so I'll start with that.
Remember that you'll need to power the trolling motor. Assuming you're looking at more than a couple of hours run time, the batteries alone can end up being heavier than a smallish outboard and fuel.

For a small (sub-15 or so hp), many people detach it from the boat; mount it before launching or once the boat is in the water, and unmount after recovering (or just prior.)

I'd suggest a trip to wherever you are planning on running, and have a chat with anyone boating there. They can probably offer some local guidance that may be more applicable to the general info you'll get from strangers.

jky