Old 22 February 2016, 11:21   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidClarkian View Post
It seems that an outboard motor for this boat would be out of the question.
Suggestions for motors have been made (and sound pretty reasonable.)

Quote:
I did ask my father why he was reluctant to help me, and it was due to safety concerns. He thought that I was going to take the boat way out into the Gulf of Mexico
Always found the best way to change Dad's mind was to get him involved, rather than trying to get approval for what you want to do. How about having him help you source and mount an engine, or ask him for help with the trailer?

On that subject, I've seen small inflatables carried on something very similar to flatbed utility trailers; best if you have an open center so you're not putting undue pressure on the keel. One of the quickest I've seen was a small utility trailer with what looked like extruded aluminum bleacher seat sections bolted on for the tubes to sit on.

Quote:
I was also unaware that my boat is an SIB (it does have a wood bottom and back) but I did see that RIBs typically have more of a hard V hull so I guess I should have taken that into consideration. Thanks again for the information everyone!
SIB's are basically a tubeset, with a fabric bottom glued on. Shape is usually formed from a keel (either wood or inflatable) that stretches the bottom to form something of a vee. The usually have a wooden or composite transom between the tubes at the back for engine mounting. A rigid floor (usually multiple pieces of wood or aluminum; or a high pressure inflatable type) keep the occupants from treading on the fabric bottom and keel.

A RIB is a solid GRP, fiberglass, or aluminum hull, onto which tubes are attached. The transom is part of that hull. They ride much better in rougher water, but are heavier and harder to store than a SIB (which can be easily broken down a rolled up.)

Welcome to the forum, and good luck;

jky

Old 22 February 2016, 12:27   #12

Town: Penascola, FL
Boat name: Sandpiper
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: None
Jysaki,

Thanks for your advice. The reason why I am ruling out an outboard motor (though I suppose that can change later) is because I'd probably have trouble launching the boat by myself with an outboard. Plus, I plan on just sticking to small rivers and bodies of water. I already have a troll motor that I will use so I'll start with that. I do plan on getting a large RIB in the future (probably something like the Avon Seasport 430) in the future.

Old 23 February 2016, 11:11   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidClarkian View Post
Jysaki,

Thanks for your advice. The reason why I am ruling out an outboard motor (though I suppose that can change later) is because I'd probably have trouble launching the boat by myself with an outboard.
Don't really see the thrust of reasoning here, but maybe you're anticipating things I'm not.

Quote:
Plus, I plan on just sticking to small rivers and bodies of water. I already have a troll motor that I will use so I'll start with that.
Remember that you'll need to power the trolling motor. Assuming you're looking at more than a couple of hours run time, the batteries alone can end up being heavier than a smallish outboard and fuel.

For a small (sub-15 or so hp), many people detach it from the boat; mount it before launching or once the boat is in the water, and unmount after recovering (or just prior.)

I'd suggest a trip to wherever you are planning on running, and have a chat with anyone boating there. They can probably offer some local guidance that may be more applicable to the general info you'll get from strangers.

jky