Old 27 November 2019, 20:30   #1

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Not got one yet
Length: 3m +
Newby

Hi all, in the market for my first boat venture, looking at sibs for some inshore fishing up Scotland, are honwave the be all or what other brands are recommended? Thanks
Old 28 November 2019, 09:26   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Coldomac and welcome to the forum.

Honwave have a good grip on the market as they are superb value for money and backed by the Honda name. There have been some faulty examples of the 3.8m air floor version sold over the past couple of years but folks report this might be resolved now. If I was after that model I’d only buy from a place I could see it inflated before handing over the cash. Other models seem fine.

Another make to consider is Excel who are in about the same price/quality range.

Were you thinking new/used and what length/outboard size?

Where are you thinking of boating... out from somewhere like Largs in the Firth... perhaps Loch Long area or further west?
Old 28 November 2019, 10:50   #3

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Not got one yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hi Coldomac and welcome to the forum.

Honwave have a good grip on the market as they are superb value for money and backed by the Honda name. There have been some faulty examples of the 3.8m air floor version sold over the past couple of years but folks report this might be resolved now. If I was after that model I’d only buy from a place I could see it inflated before handing over the cash. Other models seem fine.

Another make to consider is Excel who are in about the same price/quality range.

Were you thinking new/used and what length/outboard size?

Where are you thinking of boating... out from somewhere like Largs in the Firth... perhaps Loch Long area or further west?
Hi mate, be using it all over Scotland, mainly south west area, there was a 2nd hand one in clyde outboards the other day but missed out on it, £395 for the 3m version, would have been ideal as an entry into getting afloat, so be fishing myself most times with a mate coming out every now and again so think I'd stick with the 3m and look at a 10hp for it?
Old 28 November 2019, 14:30   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You might also look at the air floor Honwave 3.2m. Slightly more roomy and lighter to move about. Needs special transom wheels though so best bought used with the wheels included.

Re OBs I guess you are thinking 2-stroke? If so most 10hp motors are just detuned 15hp models so same weight and bulk. So in many ways the 15hp is better weight vs power.