Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 November 2009, 12:36   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: The Salty Dog
Make: Zodiac Pro 9 Man
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50hp
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to lewislikesboats Send a message via MSN to lewislikesboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I would be interested to hear what others think but for cruising in the Forth I would see nothing wrong with using the bouyancy aid you wear on your Dinghy. A second fuel tank is certainly nice - but on a SR4 your range with 25L will be quite far (I made it from Dalgety Bay to Bass Rock and back (just) with a 20HP on a 4m boat; obviously a bigger engine will use more).

You'll not get many people advising you not to buy some flares etc. BUT IF its a choice of where to spend that 100 then good (waterproof) Handheld VHF and waterproof bag for your phone, and water proof torch would be higher up my list...
True, i can't see why not. Life Jackets are a lot less bulky though. How much for a basic but decent life jacket?

I've heard about the problems with extra space for an extra tank on SR4's. I suppose a could buy one with a reserve or something. To be honest, I won't be going too far anyway.

Dalgety Bay to Bass Rock and back on 25l is very impressive. That's a long way!

I hadn't thought about Flares... obviously a boat should carry them. I won't be going out at night so a single orange smoke won't cost a fortune...
__________________

__________________
Lewis.
lewislikesboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 12:38   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: The Salty Dog
Make: Zodiac Pro 9 Man
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50hp
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to lewislikesboats Send a message via MSN to lewislikesboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislikesboats View Post
I hadn't thought about Flares... obviously a boat should carry them. I won't be going out at night so a single orange smoke won't cost a fortune...
The same goes again though, it depends on how much i get the boat for. 3000 should get me a nice boat with all the essentials. Flares included.
__________________

__________________
Lewis.
lewislikesboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 15:09   #33
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislikesboats View Post
I've heard about the problems with extra space for an extra tank on SR4's. I suppose a could buy one with a reserve or something. To be honest, I won't be going too far anyway.
I've heard about this problem too. donegaldan (on here) has perfected a solution for it, most recently employed on a return crossing of the North Channel. It involves having a 6.5m Redbay follow him with copious supplies of reserve fuel (and sandwiches). As a system goes, it works very well. I fear he has yet to appreciate the true cost to him however...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 15:28   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: The Salty Dog
Make: Zodiac Pro 9 Man
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50hp
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to lewislikesboats Send a message via MSN to lewislikesboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I've heard about this problem too. donegaldan (on here) has perfected a solution for it, most recently employed on a return crossing of the North Channel. It involves having a 6.5m Redbay follow him with copious supplies of reserve fuel (and sandwiches). As a system goes, it works very well. I fear he has yet to appreciate the true cost to him however...
lol, nice!

He'd get there quicker and for cheaper being towed?! Or you should just lend him an E-Tec, that would be interesting :P
__________________
Lewis.
lewislikesboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 15:31   #35
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislikesboats View Post
Or you should just lend him an E-Tec, that would be interesting :P
Oh, he's a slippy enough client as it is. You wouldn't believe the effort a guy has to make to dump a wave into a determined SR4
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 18:07   #36
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislikesboats View Post
True, i can't see why not. Life Jackets are a lot less bulky though. How much for a basic but decent life jacket?
depends what you want / want to spend. Roughly 50 gets you an auto with leg straps if you shop around. But if you want something really comfortable that will work well with heavy waterproofs etc and a hood and looks the business then you could be paying 4x that!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2009, 18:45   #37
Member
 
Doug Stormforce's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,031
What to buy

Lewis

Buy yourself a 2 day Powerboat level 2 Course, obviously Port Edgar are on your doorstep, also Sea Skills on here is somewhere near you.

The benefits of an Instructor running through a lot of this stuff with you will pay dividends in the long run. Might not seem as tangible as buying a VHF but some personalised advice given on a course will highlight the things you have not thought of (and some local knowledge).
__________________
STORMFORCE COACHING
web - www.stormforce.biz
email - coaching@stormforce.biz
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2009, 01:22   #38
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Buy yourself a 2 day Powerboat level 2 Course
Do keep up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislikesboats View Post
I've been a sailor for a while, and earlier this year took my RYA PB2 course.
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2009, 04:53   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
depends what you want / want to spend. Roughly 50 gets you an auto with leg straps if you shop around. But if you want something really comfortable that will work well with heavy waterproofs etc and a hood and looks the business then you could be paying 4x that!
I could be a bit controversiaial here and suggest if you've been sailing lasers, presumably you have a bouyancy aid?

As for the fuel, yes you can go miles on a small engine (Rhu - Tignabruach & back with my old SR4 / Sus 25), but if you get swamped & the tank is "poisoned", for the money a second tank will cost .... Even if it;s just a 20L that you park under the seat. Two hulk 30L tanks will sit happily between the transom braces. Granted they wipe out your entire rear deck space......

It depends what you're doing. If it's all rescue boat for dinghies stuff , the deck space will be infinitely more useful than an extra 20L of fuel. Alternatively, if you are cruising, spare fuel has it's advantages but you'll be at the helpm for 99% iof the trip, so the rear deck might as well not be there... and if you are cruising, it's more fun to go "in company" so then you have a second boat as backup...... I didn't have an aux for nearly 2 years, but was always out with another rib or playing rescue boat, so didn't need one.

One thing is for sure. Once you've got the boat, your "needs list" will change as you use it for different things.
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2009, 11:08   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: The Salty Dog
Make: Zodiac Pro 9 Man
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50hp
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to lewislikesboats Send a message via MSN to lewislikesboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Lewis

Buy yourself a 2 day Powerboat level 2 Course, obviously Port Edgar are on your doorstep, also Sea Skills on here is somewhere near you.

The benefits of an Instructor running through a lot of this stuff with you will pay dividends in the long run. Might not seem as tangible as buying a VHF but some personalised advice given on a course will highlight the things you have not thought of (and some local knowledge).
As pointed out by John, i took the Level 2 course earlier this year. I learnt a lot from it, but as i hadn't yet decided to buy, i didn't have many questions at the time.
__________________

__________________
Lewis.
lewislikesboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.