Old 05 August 2015, 08:52   #1

Town: manchester
Make: domino
Length: 3m +
newbe from nanchester

Hi guys I am totaly new to ribs and boats of any kind so am after a bit of advice I have bought a rib off eBay and the only info I have is that its a domino double 6 and I have been told it needs new valves but I'm not sure what type does anyone have any info about this make of rib it would be much appreciated

Thanks Colin
Old 05 August 2015, 12:26   #2

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Where in Manchester are you? Im another northerner

Do you have the ebay link, so we can see more information.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2015, 12:45   #3

Thanks here is the eBay item number
191646034228 not sure if it was a good buy or not because I don't know how much it will cost to get running
Old 05 August 2015, 12:53   #4

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
Hi Colinley,
Welcome!
I'm in Stockport
Old 05 August 2015, 12:54   #5

Do you have the floor boards that go with it?
Looks like it's similar to the avon rover which expected three wooden floorboards with two aluminium beams that run the length of the boat.

Until you've worked out if you're missing bits, don't spend any more money on it.

For the valves, if you don't have the replacements, I'd take it up to north west ribs and inflatables. £10 a valve if they've got them (they just screw in) or not much more if they have to remove the old and glue new ones in.

North West RIBs & Inflatables Ltd
Unit 17
PR6 0LP
nwri.co.uk

Oh and it's a SIB not a RIB.
SIB's don't have solid hulls and can be rolled up (normally into a car boot) for easy transport.
RIB's have solid hulls and generally require trailers, except the F-rib which is the best of both worlds.
Old 05 August 2015, 13:10   #6

Thanks not sure about the floor boards like I said I'm new to this didn't know it needed them I am a joiner so is it something I would be able to make from marine ply ??? I'm going to wales next week camping I believed there is a place there that do repairs on ribs I'll ask there about the valves on one of the photos of the rib it shows some ply on the floor looks like one is a seat but could the other be for the floor
Old 05 August 2015, 13:16   #7

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Looks like thats a SIB not a RIB.

Have you actually got the item yet? I would get it home and try and blow it up and work out what is actually faulty.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2015, 13:17   #8

You could make your own but it'd be a lot easier if you can manage to find someone with another one to use as a template. You'll also need the aluminium beams...

Personally, I'd have another look on ebay, and the for sale section on here and other sites. That's for no other reason than I'm lazy and I like to buy things that just work and I don't have to do anything to them. You can pick SIBs up fairly cheaply, some around the £100 mark, others over a grand.

When you find something, post it here and we can have a look and see if it looks sensible or a death trap.

If you do choose to continue with the one you've got, I'm sure others who are more useful than I at manufacturing parts will be along soon!
Old 05 August 2015, 13:21   #9

Thanks a lot for the info I am quite good at getting things working but without seeing another one so I've got an idea of what it should be like it will be guite difficult to get it right I having paid for the Sib yet so I might just cancle it

Thanks again for the help
Old 05 August 2015, 14:09   #10

Sorry forgot to say I'm in withington I sent an email to the guy on eBay and he said there are 3 wooden boards but I think one of them is a seat and there is no alinium
Old 05 August 2015, 14:15   #11

Ask to see it inflated. Once the floor boards are in the and the tubes inflated (even if the valves don't hold, you should still be able to pump it up) the floor boards shouldn't move and should be tight against the tubes.

It's possible that you don't need the aluminium beams that my Avon has.

If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't. And as the description says everything but the valves are ok, you're within your right to walk away.
Old 05 August 2015, 14:19   #12

This one discussed here http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/help-wi...ect-67934.html doesn't have aluminium bars either View image: 7144315fvq
Old 05 August 2015, 17:42   #13

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Time for some honest advice.

£45 is buttons, but its the amount you will have to spend to get it on the water thats the problem.

Of the 3 boards shown, one of them is seat, but not for that boat. If its even the correct doimensions you will then need the webbing mount points which are about £25, but thats not essential.

No idea what the other boards are, but they are not the floor, You cant use the boat without a wooden floor in it. I would guess you can get wood at trade, but still £50 plus time (4 or 5 hours) plus varnish/paint £10.

You are also going to need a pump, paddles, ropes add another £50. Then another £30 for valves and at least 2 pots of 2 pack glue £40.

So IF and its a big IF the boat holds air, you are on the water for£225 and thats probably £100 more than the boats worth.

More bad news, you can clearly see lots of glue sticking things back on the boat and if the glue has failed in one place it will have failed in others. There is also a significant piece of damage to the top of one of the tubes near the transom which may or may not effect the the tubes themselves.

Do your self a favour and walk away, find a boat thats in 1 piece and enjoy time on the water not in the garage.
Old 05 August 2015, 18:05   #14

Thanks for the honest advice I do appreciate it I didn't realise it would need that much work I have just told the guy I don't want it as I've not paid for it I'll take your advice and keep any eye out for one that's in one piece