Old 01 October 2018, 14:29   #1

Town: Falmouth
Length: no boat
New to RIBs Buzzards Bay USA Advice Please

Hello this is a great forum thank you for having me. I have been boating for 30 years mostly on Grady Whites but I have never owned a RIB. I just got back from exploring the islands off Croatia on a RIB and have the bug.

So I want to buy a used RIB that I can use to explore Buzzards Bay out to the Elizabeth Islands. The waters up here are VERY choppy but it's not open ocean and I won't intentionally go out in more than 3 foot seas. I can store it on a rack. I would also like to trailer it to Casco Bay Maine and Hilton Head SC.

Mostly I will be zipping around alone standing up. Sometimes I will fish for bass up against the rocks. However on very calm days I could take my wife and a couple of friends. So would like a couple of seats.

My budget is $25K max however I would like to stay below $20K. I don't know if that is realistic for a problem free boat.

May I ask for recommendations of make and models that fit these criteria?

How old would you go if you want to avoid trouble or replacing tubes etc.?

The length options seem to be 4.8 to 7 meters. I know 4.8s are very capable however that might be small to take any guests. I do not want to go bigger than 7M.

There are not as many used RIBs for sale in the US.

So far I have found a 2006 Ribcraft 4.8 and a newer 2013 Zar Formenti 5.3 in my price range. I know Ribcraft have excellent rough water reputations. Reading posts on this forum the Zar is not viewed as rugged but interesting in that it seems to have a deeper V 28 degrees and more creature comforts which are appealing.

Really appreciate any advice and can't wait to get into this!

Thank you in advance. T
Old 01 October 2018, 16:25   #2

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
The most capable and available ribs in the USA are the ex-military 7m ribs. Usually they are diesel powered. Look around, rebuilt turn key ones pop up fairly often. You just missed one here as a matter of fact. Sweet boat right in your price range.

They will run through that chop at 30+ mph. And carry all your friends. I did just that yesterday.
Old 01 October 2018, 17:01   #3

7 Meter ex Military

Thank you very much for your reply...would there be a more specific brand or model that I could search for more narrowly? Would the same work with outboard? I have never had a diesel boat and am concerned about maintenance. Thanks again T
Old 01 October 2018, 18:28   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
The most capable and available ribs in the USA are the ex-military 7m ribs. Usually they are diesel powered. Look around, rebuilt turn key ones pop up fairly often. You just missed one here as a matter of fact. Sweet boat right in your price range.

They will run through that chop at 30+ mph. And carry all your friends. I did just that yesterday.
Caution ; All MilPro craft have wood coring. If the boat is older than 10 years old ,the transom and deck are probably well on their way towards rotten. The chines may also be garbage, I believe they have balsa in them.

Same goes for Seariders.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2018, 18:28   #5

New to RIBs Buzzards Bay USA Advice Please

Zodiac and Willard are the two biggest producers. A zodiac 733 or Willard 730. Essentially the same boat. Same military spec, slight variations in production. Both beasts. There was a third I can’t think of right now.

Yes they do make them in outboards. There was one for sale on here.

REDUCED.ZODIAC HURRICANE 733 WITH TWIN 150hp YAMAHAS HEATER CAB FOR SALE
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79420

Something like this

Willard SeaForce 730 / Cummins 315HP / Hamilton Jet
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79871
Old 01 October 2018, 18:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Thank you very much for your reply...would there be a more specific brand or model that I could search for more narrowly? Would the same work with outboard? I have never had a diesel boat and am concerned about maintenance. Thanks again T
I'd recommend an older Zodiac Pro Open 650 or Pro 650.
Old 03 October 2018, 02:24   #7
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Willards are wood free (at least as far back as 1992 - the year of my last boat)
Old 03 October 2018, 16:35   #8

I have an 87 zodiac 7m that is solid fiberglass hull and foam in the transom.

I talked to Hurricane when I got mine and they told me to check the forward port side. If the navy guys were stuffing them into waves then you could get delimitation issue. Thump it with a dead blow hammer. They made it sound more like and abuse issue.
Old 03 October 2018, 16:45   #9

Thank you for all the advice. I realize i may need to up my budget to get what I want.

I’m now focused on Zodiac 650 or 550 or new 5.5

I found a 2009 Zodiac “Pro 15” bin my range with 300 hours but I haven’t found reliable specs or reviews

Also going to look at Ribcrsft 5.85. Ribcrsft folks say it has a deeper bee so maybe better for the chop.

Both seem great

Thank you for all the help!
Old 03 October 2018, 20:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
I have an 87 zodiac 7m that is solid fiberglass hull and foam in the transom.

I talked to Hurricane when I got mine and they told me to check the forward port side. If the navy guys were stuffing them into waves then you could get delimitation issue. Thump it with a dead blow hammer. They made it sound more like and abuse issue.
https://ccga-pacific.org/files/libra..._Chapter_1.pdf
1998 733 manual
Hull
1" core
Footnote: CORE SHALL BE 1" END GRAIN BALSA

Transom
3/4" PLYWOOD

https://jsca.bc.ca/wp/wp-content/upl...cal-Manual.pdf
Early 2000s, still calls for 1" balsa and 3/4" plywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I found a 2009 Zodiac “Pro 15” bin my range with 300 hours but I haven’t found reliable specs or reviews
That's the old name for the Pro 650.

Tags
rib