Town: Southampton
Boat name: Rigmarol
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200
RIBase
New to Rib Net

Hi everyone ,
Just to let you all know that I am new to Rib Net and Just about finding my way round . A little about us . Well we are fairly new to boating . We purchased our first rib 2 years ago which was a Zodiac 650 and we carried out our Pb2 last year . We like it so much that we have just bought a Ribeye 750. We are based at Southampton Dry Stack and all of our experience has been in the Solent . We are keen to venture further a field, but lack the experience of going out past the
Needles , so any advise would be welcome. I think that a good move would be to go out with other boats in a group for the first few trips . How did everyone else take the next step if venturing out ?
Old 28 August 2018, 22:13   #2

Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
Hi
Just got back to RIBs myself, we have a Valiant V570. Based in Southampton. Keen to have a trip out .....
Old 28 August 2018, 22:24   #3

RIBase
Sound good to me . We are out this coming weekend on the Sunday if you fancy meeting up and a trip somewhere. Where do you keep your boat ?
Old 29 August 2018, 06:02   #4

Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
We about to go on holiday so cant do this weekend. It’s I the drive at the moment, looking for a mooring along the Itchen
Old 29 August 2018, 07:23   #5

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez2557 View Post
Hi everyone ,
Just to let you all know that I am new to Rib Net and Just about finding my way round . A little about us . Well we are fairly new to boating . We purchased our first rib 2 years ago which was a Zodiac 650 and we carried out our Pb2 last year . We like it so much that we have just bought a Ribeye 750. We are based at Southampton Dry Stack and all of our experience has been in the Solent . We are keen to venture further a field, but lack the experience of going out past the
Needles , so any advise would be welcome. I think that a good move would be to go out with other boats in a group for the first few trips . How did everyone else take the next step if venturing out ?
Hi Jez2557, I believe we spoke not so long ago at SDS . Firstly welcome to RibNet and congratulations on your purchase . She will take you comfortably past the Needles and beyond. Most probably we will be out on Saturday and as the weather is a bit better and we hope to have a BBQ at Newtown Creek our second and probably last one this season.
Old 29 August 2018, 10:35   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I'd study some charts and look at where you might want to go. If you've already made it to the Needles, then something like Poole, Studland or Swanage are only a further small hop away for a 7m RIB, and a fairly straightforward trip. Assuming the boat is well maintained, in good weather I'd have no hesitation in taking that boat out for a trip beyond the Solent. Start small and work your way up - even at a relatively slow planing speeds (15-20kn), the Needles to Poole is only ~30-40 mins. Preferably pick a decent day so you don't scare anyone (including yourself!), and can focus on the passage rather than worrying about the sea conditions. Make sure you have enough fuel (including reserve) for the planned journey and know where any danger areas are along your planned route.

Going out as a group can be good fun as well - you have instant backup and like-minded people to share the experience with. But if you're happy with the passage planning aspects (hopefully covered on your Lv2 course), your boat is more than capable, so I wouldn't be afraid to do something by yourself either in the right conditions.

We started off similarly years ago with the old RIB staying local to begin with, then when we were more confident started heading into the Solent or west along to Lulworth/Weymouth. I guess on a good day, all that stretch of coast is fairly busy with boats anyway, so even if you're not part of a group, help often isn't far away (assuming you have a VHF or suitable method of communication).

The key to me is preparation - do as much as you can to prepare and understand the passage plan and know where you're going, and ensure the boat is ready.
Old 29 August 2018, 19:56   #7

RIBase
Hi Simon ,
Have you tried SDS? I find that the boat is far better of on the Dry Stack . They are a great bunch and really helpfull. I would say that is also saves a lot on maintenance as well compared with a boat kept on a mooring . Hope you have a good holiday and we can take a trip out soon .
Old 29 August 2018, 19:57   #8

RIBase
Thank you Paul this is great advice . We Have done basic navigation , but time to book on a proper navigation course I think .
Old 29 August 2018, 20:01   #9

RIBase
Hi Andre , yes we did meet the day you arrived back from Jersey . We bought the bought in the end and very pleased , just needs a bit of tender loving care over the winter . We may be out Saturday , but if not would be nice to catch up soon .
Old 30 August 2018, 07:51   #10

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez2557 View Post
Hi Andre , yes we did meet the day you arrived back from Jersey . We bought the bought in the end and very pleased , just needs a bit of tender loving care over the winter . We may be out Saturday , but if not would be nice to catch up soon .
so I was right see you at SDS and on the water soon

Tags
rib

« Hi | Top | hi from Plymouth »