Old 16 May 2011, 22:44   #41

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye1 View Post
I do have charts of the area. I will be extra vigilant.
Nice one,will Pm you some co-ordinates in the wk,Over and out ,Thorney
Old 17 May 2011, 19:28   #42

Town: Orpington
Make: Seapro 340HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Nice one,will Pm you some co-ordinates in the wk,Over and out ,Thorney

Cheers Shane,

When your fishing out of Minnis and using peeler crabs, do you take the shells off and elasticate them to the hook, or put them on whole? I was thinking of putting one on whole, if so where do I hook it?

Thanks

Daryl
Old 17 May 2011, 21:08   #43

Quote:
Cheers Shane,

When your fishing out of Minnis and using peeler crabs, do you take the shells off and elasticate them to the hook, or put them on whole? I was thinking of putting one on whole, if so where do I hook it?

Thanks

Daryl
Take the shells off all peelers and elasticate them to the hook, big crabs cut in half if a good size two baits then ,samller ones put on whole ,if you got hard backs chuck em on whole,smuts like them aswell,not as good as peeler tho in my opinion,i take all the legs off mine,sometimes keep on two legs.
Old 17 May 2011, 21:18   #44

Thorny,

What other baits would you recommend to use? I thought perhaps peelers would be the best bait and maybe some ragworm.

Popeye
Old 17 May 2011, 22:21   #45

Quote:
Thorny,

What other baits would you recommend to use? I thought perhaps peelers would be the best bait and maybe some ragworm.

Popeye
Peeler for smoothounds,Bluey,Squid for the thornbacks,rag and lug on a light spinning rod will pick up Bass,whiting,dogs,some times a hound will grab hold,dam good fun on a light rod.we fish 1 uptider each,1 spinning rod each,as its your first time i would fish one rod ,get use to the boat and how you manage the gear on it,hold them rods tho ,hounds will pull them straight in.
Old 18 May 2011, 07:51   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieboi View Post
Mine is on transom launch wheels. I load the boat up and put the OB on and then roll it in.

Simple!!
Hi mate if you dont mind me asking,what sort of speed are you getting out of your outfit? is it a 4 stroke outboard?i got a mercury 10hp 2 stroke ,quite a heavy craft 4m allot floor,2 of us ,not tried it with the 1o yet ,so just wandering what she will do with 2 on?
Old 18 May 2011, 22:42   #47

Quote:
Hi mate if you dont mind me asking,what sort of speed are you getting out of your outfit? is it a 4 stroke outboard?i got a mercury 10hp 2 stroke ,quite a heavy craft 4m allot floor,2 of us ,not tried it with the 1o yet ,so just wandering what she will do with 2 on?

Hi Thorny,

I reckon with a 2 stroke, trimmed correctly you should get at least 16 knots and maybe close to 20. Got my life jackets, flares, anchor chain and some new anchor warp. I've virtually got everything now. I suppose we're all guilty of trying to pack too much into a SIB!!

I just want to have everything, to cover every possible senario.

Are you out fishing at the weekend Thorny?

Popeye
Old 19 May 2011, 17:54   #48

Quote:
Hi Thorny,

I reckon with a 2 stroke, trimmed correctly you should get at least 16 knots and maybe close to 20. Got my life jackets, flares, anchor chain and some new anchor warp. I've virtually got everything now. I suppose we're all guilty of trying to pack too much into a SIB!!

I just want to have everything, to cover every possible senario.

Are you out fishing at the weekend Thorny?

Popeye
Hi mate,we are fishing tomo,friday night off the beach,sandwich,camp out and then brekie on the beach ,then back to the Varne club and fishing off the Earl for plaice,bass n rays,whoopie can t wait.
Old 19 May 2011, 18:06   #49

Quote:
Hi mate,we are fishing tomo,friday night off the beach,sandwich,camp out and then brekie on the beach ,then back to the Varne club and fishing off the Earl for plaice,bass n rays,whoopie can t wait.

Crikey oh riley Thorny,

That's dedication. What's with the beach fishing, now that you've got the Earl? The reason I got my SIB is that I was fed up catching little or nothing from the beach! Good luck though. I've heard that they have been getting plenty of Thornbacks fom the beach at Sandwich Bay.

Popeye
Old 19 May 2011, 18:41   #50

Quote:
Crikey oh riley Thorny,

That's dedication. What's with the beach fishing, now that you've got the Earl? The reason I got my SIB is that I was fed up catching little or nothing from the beach! Good luck though. I've heard that they have been getting plenty of Thornbacks fom the beach at Sandwich Bay.

Popeye
Yes i am not a lover of the beach,just gonna camp down have a few beers ,then a nice early start ,get the boat ready and thats when the fishing really starts,yes all i catch now are tiddlers off the beach,hope you do well the wk end,why don t you Pm GIBBERFISH,ask if you can come down to sample the clubs facilities,you could launch out and join us out on bit of inshore fishing.
Old 19 May 2011, 19:13   #51

Quote:
Yes i am not a lover of the beach,just gonna camp down have a few beers ,then a nice early start ,get the boat ready and thats when the fishing really starts,yes all i catch now are tiddlers off the beach,hope you do well the wk end,why don t you Pm GIBBERFISH,ask if you can come down to sample the clubs facilities,you could launch out and join us out on bit of inshore fishing.

Hi Thornry,

I will definitely do that one weekend. I've been looking at fishfinders. What do you think of the Humminbird 110 fishing buddy? I like the way the unit clamps onto the transom. Do you think it will still give a good read out being right next to the outboard?

Popeye
Old 19 May 2011, 19:18   #52

Quote:
Hi Thornry,

I will definitely do that one weekend. I've been looking at fishfinders. What do you think of the Humminbird 110 fishing buddy? I like the way the unit clamps onto the transom. Do you think it will still give a good read out being right next to the outboard?

Popeye
well i have the Hummingbird Pirahna,and you do get a little disturbance from the prop but as you slow right down,you should get your depth,thats all i use my one for and finding the contours of the bottom ,but i got standard Horizon internal arieal GPS so i can read what type of features im fishing on,ie ,mud ,sand,rocks,e.t.c
Old 19 May 2011, 19:22   #53

Quote:
well i have the Hummingbird Pirahna,and you do get a little disturbance from the prop but as you slow right down,you should get your depth,thats all i use my one for and finding the contours of the bottom ,but i got standard Horizon internal arieal GPS so i can read what type of features im fishing on,ie ,mud ,sand,rocks,e.t.c
Thorny,

Are you using a suction pad to mount the tranducer, and if so where do you mount it? How much are they, and do they run off batteries?

Popeye
Old 19 May 2011, 19:28   #54

Quote:
Thorny,

Are you using a suction pad to mount the tranducer, and if so where do you mount it? How much are they, and do they run off batteries?

Popeye
I payed about £160 quid i seem to recall? and the suction pad works great on my seago 2.70 sib,but i have had to make a bracket and a G clamp for the Earl,this will be tried out sat for the first time,self bailers stop me from sticking it on with the suction cap.there must be cheaper out there with a suction cap,google up im sure there will be one.