Old 22 November 2017, 20:26   #1

Town: Bellingham, WA
Boat name: T/T Belafonte
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 9.9
new member with old zodiac sib

Hey everyone,
this summer I was given a very old but seemingly serviceable Zodiac Sib. The boat was stored in the original bags in a heated basement for the past 30 years. Floor boards are solid, and the valves are a bit finicky, but holds air. I did track down a very slight air seep at a tube seam right where it contacts the floor board stringer at the starboard bow. Other than that, I didn't see any obvious reason not to take it out. I have a 2004 9.9hp Honda outboard that I was planning on mounting to the zodiac. As this is my first boat, I'd really appreciate any information you all would be able to provide. As far as I can tell from the id tag, it's a 1978, and I assumed it's hypalon, but I'm not positive. I also may have the bow board in upside down, but I saw no way it could go in the other way, so no idea. Thanks!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	122799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	122801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	122803  
Old 23 November 2017, 00:18   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazsecure View Post
Hey everyone,
this summer I was given a very old but seemingly serviceable Zodiac Sib. The boat was stored in the original bags in a heated basement for the past 30 years. Floor boards are solid, and the valves are a bit finicky, but holds air. I did track down a very slight air seep at a tube seam right where it contacts the floor board stringer at the starboard bow. Other than that, I didn't see any obvious reason not to take it out. I have a 2004 9.9hp Honda outboard that I was planning on mounting to the zodiac. As this is my first boat, I'd really appreciate any information you all would be able to provide. As far as I can tell from the id tag, it's a 1978, and I assumed it's hypalon, but I'm not positive. I also may have the bow board in upside down, but I saw no way it could go in the other way, so no idea. Thanks!

Paul
It's a Zodiac Mark III.

Constructed from real DuPont Hypalon, made at a factory in Rochefort, France that no longer exists.

I recommend purchasing new Delrin inserts and caps.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 00:23   #3

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Really nice boat. I love seeing well kept high tier Zodiacs starting a new life.

Cheers. Squid
Old 23 November 2017, 15:23   #4

Town: Connecticut
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Zodiac

Excellent find! Those were very well made boats!
Old 23 November 2017, 15:45   #5

Boat name: WB465
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
A beautiful hypalon Mark III!
Old 07 May 2018, 02:14   #6

Town: Bellingham, WA
Boat name: T/T Belafonte
Engine: Honda 9.9
Hey! I made this post a while ago, but due to some out board issues, i just took out my 1978 14 ft zodiac mark 3 yesterday for the first time! I was having a hard time finding out what the recommended pressure is, as i dont really have a reference for what it should feel like. It felt firm enough when i was airing it up in the sun in my back yard. But once i took it out on the lake, it got softer, but then firmed up again when I hauled it out. I assume if its properly inflated, the pressure change would be less noticable? I’m going to order a guage, but any help with pressure specs would be appreciated!
Old 07 May 2018, 21:32   #7

Boat name: WB465
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazsecure View Post
Hey! I made this post a while ago, but due to some out board issues, i just took out my 1978 14 ft zodiac mark 3 yesterday for the first time! I was having a hard time finding out what the recommended pressure is, as i dont really have a reference for what it should feel like. It felt firm enough when i was airing it up in the sun in my back yard. But once i took it out on the lake, it got softer, but then firmed up again when I hauled it out. I assume if its properly inflated, the pressure change would be less noticable? I’m going to order a guage, but any help with pressure specs would be appreciated!

If you can find a gauge, the manufacturer suggested amount was 240-280 mbar if I remember correctly. It always softens up in the water. Most people under inflate.

Tags
zodiac, sib

« new guy | Top | first post »