Town: London
Boat name: Hebe
Make: Windy Chinook
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo Penta IPS 600
MMSI: -
New member from London (non-RIB)

Hello all,

I am a long-time yachtie but have been out of the scene for a long while due to time pressures created by children and work. After toying with the idea for many years I have finally taken the plunge and purchased a boat for knocking about with the family in; staying away from sail for the time and convenience factor.

I decided to join Ribnet as I have found the information on the forums invaluable, particularly re suggestions for places to go in and around the IOW. Given the community seems very friendly, I hope I won't be flamed for not actually owning a RIB ! The boat is a White Shark centre console, so very similar in ethos to a RIB in that it is a versatile open boat suitable for many different activities.

I'm based in London and the boat is in Portsmouth. Maiden voyage is to the IOW this coming weekend.

I look forward to participating in this community
Old 05 April 2016, 14:28   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
Hello all,

I am a long-time yachtie but have been out of the scene for a long while due to time pressures created by children and work. After toying with the idea for many years I have finally taken the plunge and purchased a boat for knocking about with the family in; staying away from sail for the time and convenience factor.

I decided to join Ribnet as I have found the information on the forums invaluable, particularly re suggestions for places to go in and around the IOW. Given the community seems very friendly, I hope I won't be flamed for not actually owning a RIB ! The boat is a White Shark centre console, so very similar in ethos to a RIB in that it is a versatile open boat suitable for many different activities.

I'm based in London and the boat is in Portsmouth. Maiden voyage is to the IOW this coming weekend.

I look forward to participating in this community
Welcome to the world of RibNet

as a matter of interest why didn't you get yourself a RIB.
Old 05 April 2016, 14:58   #3

Thank you and a fair question !

Whilst I wanted a RIB for preference, my wife doesn't like the look of them with their inflatable collars and as I've always admired the look of the WhiteSharks I saw whilst sailing around the coast of France in my youth, it seemed like a fair compromise given they (WhiteSharks) are famed for their sea-keeping qualities (the main reason I wanted a RIB).
Old 05 April 2016, 16:48   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Welcome good luck on the maiden voyage.

I think being a ribber is more a state of mind than an actual ownership requirement.

A bit like being blonde

( I don't own a Rib either)

PS photos required!
Old 05 April 2016, 16:50   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi mate

Welcome good compromise keep her happy it's simpler that way, not familiar with your boat stick some pics up after your trip.

Cheers
Old 29 April 2016, 09:51   #6

Trip was a great success, thank you, despite some somewhat iffy weather (amazing how many women and children you can squeeze into that tiny cuddy cabin when the sun turns to driven sleet in 10 mins). Hopefully these pics have uploaded OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IW10.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	112275   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF16.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	112276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IW12.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	112277   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF13.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	112278   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF18.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	112279  

Old 29 April 2016, 17:54   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Nice boat cracking shot of the kids asleep cheers
Old 30 April 2016, 15:09   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Are the kids tethered to the boat?

Sh1t happens
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2016, 08:25   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Lovely boat but as Pikey commented, would no recommend attaching kids to the boat! I know it the norm when sailing but not in a fast open boat!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2016, 08:55   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Lovely boat but as Pikey commented, would no recommend attaching kids to the boat! I know it the norm when sailing but not in a fast open boat!
I've never really understood this. The logic seems to be that if you flip the boat they are stuffed. I totally accept that, but (1) If you are driving a boat in conditions / a manner likely to flip it with young kids on board you aren't doing normal family boating; (2) yachts capsize too.

Now if the tether is long enough that the kids can fall over and be dragged along in the water that could be a very bad thing.

But just to be clear I've never tethered my kids, its good to discuss and understand where the real risks are though (e.g. walking around on a fast boat is probably not to be encouraged, having knife/cutters to hand if using tethers etc.)
Old 01 May 2016, 11:25   #11

If you are tethered to a yacht and it capsizes then 80% of the time it comes back up. The other 20% you lost the keel and it's completely upside down and you should be free to surface as tether is usually long. To be honest yacht capsizes with keel loss are rarely a complete surprise.

Yachties dragged in the water has been identified as an issue. That's in terms of recovery. But only at say 8-12kts... Doubling that is going to do some damage I suspect.
Old 04 July 2016, 09:35   #12

Sorry I hadn't noticed the replies to this thread. My logic for tying the children in with safety harnesses is that I am much more worried about them bouncing out of the boat on a rogue wave into a cold Solent than I am about the boat flipping and them drowning. Once in the drink, even with warm clothing and a proper lifejacket, you are immediately in a survival situation and. I'd rather avoid that entirely. You'd have to be driving like a complete and utter maniac to flip that boat, whereas it is quite possible that a child could fall out in an unguarded moment even in relatively calm waters. If you look closely the safety lines are of a length that they can't actually fall out of the boat, so no possibility of them being dragged along. I agree that it would be sub-optimal to use them as on a yacht, i.e clipped on as you move around the boat. But that's not what's going on here.
Old 04 July 2016, 12:27   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
Sorry I hadn't noticed the replies to this thread. My logic for tying the children in with safety harnesses is that I am much more worried about them bouncing out of the boat on a rogue wave into a cold Solent than I am about the boat flipping and them drowning. Once in the drink, even with warm clothing and a proper lifejacket, you are immediately in a survival situation and. I'd rather avoid that entirely. You'd have to be driving like a complete and utter maniac to flip that boat, whereas it is quite possible that a child could fall out in an unguarded moment even in relatively calm waters. If you look closely the safety lines are of a length that they can't actually fall out of the boat, so no possibility of them being dragged along. I agree that it would be sub-optimal to use them as on a yacht, i.e clipped on as you move around the boat. But that's not what's going on here.
I recon to bounce a kid out a boat on a proper seat you have to be driving like an idiot too. If the conditions and driving style are enough to make ejection a realistic risk then I don't think you can say flipping is impossible. (And the potential harm on the kids spines is high without being ejected).

I'm not 100% opposed to the idea of tying them in, but only for benign conditions where they might be tempted to wander and slip rather than as a license for the helm to push harder.
Old 04 July 2016, 13:36   #14

Sort of my point I think; it's a safety back up, not an excuse to drive in an unsuitable fashion.

Tags
rib