Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 May 2016, 07:25   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,250
If you are tethered to a yacht and it capsizes then 80% of the time it comes back up. The other 20% you lost the keel and it's completely upside down and you should be free to surface as tether is usually long. To be honest yacht capsizes with keel loss are rarely a complete surprise.

Yachties dragged in the water has been identified as an issue. That's in terms of recovery. But only at say 8-12kts... Doubling that is going to do some damage I suspect.
__________________

__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 05:35   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Alexis
Make: White Shark
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha Offshore 300
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 18
Sorry I hadn't noticed the replies to this thread. My logic for tying the children in with safety harnesses is that I am much more worried about them bouncing out of the boat on a rogue wave into a cold Solent than I am about the boat flipping and them drowning. Once in the drink, even with warm clothing and a proper lifejacket, you are immediately in a survival situation and. I'd rather avoid that entirely. You'd have to be driving like a complete and utter maniac to flip that boat, whereas it is quite possible that a child could fall out in an unguarded moment even in relatively calm waters. If you look closely the safety lines are of a length that they can't actually fall out of the boat, so no possibility of them being dragged along. I agree that it would be sub-optimal to use them as on a yacht, i.e clipped on as you move around the boat. But that's not what's going on here.
__________________

__________________
WhiteShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 08:27   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
Sorry I hadn't noticed the replies to this thread. My logic for tying the children in with safety harnesses is that I am much more worried about them bouncing out of the boat on a rogue wave into a cold Solent than I am about the boat flipping and them drowning. Once in the drink, even with warm clothing and a proper lifejacket, you are immediately in a survival situation and. I'd rather avoid that entirely. You'd have to be driving like a complete and utter maniac to flip that boat, whereas it is quite possible that a child could fall out in an unguarded moment even in relatively calm waters. If you look closely the safety lines are of a length that they can't actually fall out of the boat, so no possibility of them being dragged along. I agree that it would be sub-optimal to use them as on a yacht, i.e clipped on as you move around the boat. But that's not what's going on here.
I recon to bounce a kid out a boat on a proper seat you have to be driving like an idiot too. If the conditions and driving style are enough to make ejection a realistic risk then I don't think you can say flipping is impossible. (And the potential harm on the kids spines is high without being ejected).

I'm not 100% opposed to the idea of tying them in, but only for benign conditions where they might be tempted to wander and slip rather than as a license for the helm to push harder.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2016, 09:36   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Alexis
Make: White Shark
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha Offshore 300
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 18
Sort of my point I think; it's a safety back up, not an excuse to drive in an unsuitable fashion.
__________________

__________________
WhiteShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.