Old 26 August 2014, 23:25   #1

Make: avon
Length: 4m +
My SR4 restoration- the way I see it.

Hi,
Just bought Avon SR4 with Mariner 60 at the begining of the season. Manged to launch it twice and came to conclusion that it needs some work. Obviously, the transom is rotten.

So let the fun begin!
Old 26 August 2014, 23:37   #2

Let's get to work!

Old 27 August 2014, 05:48   #3

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Hi Polspear, nice photos of the job so far, looks like you got a big job on your hands, keep the photos coming
Old 27 August 2014, 16:07   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Oh the memories!
Old 22 October 2014, 11:02   #5

Ok, some more pictures today from last few months... This is my first restoration project and I know I am making mistakes, some of them i can see myself so if you see any please do tell but don't be to harsh for me.
New transom, cut out of two layers of 15 mm marine grade ply, laminated in two fases with West system epoxy:

covered with fibreglass (not the best work i know... run out of epoxy just before the end):

Old 22 October 2014, 11:04   #6

I bought a small avon sib as a source of hypalon fabric and valves (some of you might hate me for this but it was the cheapest option)

first attempt to change the valve:

not the best one, if you squeeze fabric too tight it will never be smooth.
Old 22 October 2014, 11:15   #7

Some work on Stainless steel fittings:

Bought 1.6 mm marine grade steel. working on it was a nightmare, I thought titanium drills, 5 £ each would do the job! One drill per one hole, honestly!!!
Old 22 October 2014, 11:22   #8

Finaly, the transom is closed (dont have too many pictures), time for gluing the tubes back:

And same mistake, tighten de belts too much, rusult a bit desappointing, but the bond is strong.

Will make some shots of final result shortly
Old 22 October 2014, 12:43   #9

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
It's maybe worth thinking about an elephants trunk to shift the deck water.

I wish I had done it on our SR5, I remember taking a swamping on the ERR 2013 and the bilge pump just wasn't man enough.
Old 22 October 2014, 13:37   #10

Hello Alan. I have to say, I was taking example of your project, excellent work and great photo description! my restoration is not as complete as yours due to financial restrictions. There are things I leave undone (for winter perhaps). Wanted to change console (stil looking for one), put shock absorbing seat, etc.
Could you explain? u mean to add one through the transom above the deck is it? (some puictures?). I have a drainage in the center line it should drain the water to underdeck compartment but the diameter is 20 mm only.
Old 22 October 2014, 16:30   #11

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polspear View Post
Hello Alan. I have to say, I was taking example of your project, excellent work and great photo description! my restoration is not as complete as yours due to financial restrictions. There are things I leave undone (for winter perhaps). Wanted to change console (stil looking for one), put shock absorbing seat, etc.
Could you explain? u mean to add one through the transom above the deck is it? (some puictures?). I have a drainage in the center line it should drain the water to underdeck compartment but the diameter is 20 mm only.
Couple of pics of my Avon SR5.4.

First one shows three holes of which the centre one will eventually be capped off (due to engine location immediately behind it) but other two will have have 'elephant's trunks' attached to disperse water rapidly in the event of a swamping. It happens!

Pic two shows one of the trunks attached and fastened in the raised position. This raised position prevents water entering the boat whilst moored, anchored, reversing, etc

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flocoat aft deck.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	100155

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	100156
Old 22 October 2014, 23:14   #12

Thanks Barrowboy, that's how I imagined it, I new this solution being used often for underdeck space. Well, its another thing to think about during winter.
few more fittings...

and finely my new toy:

maybe I will test it before winter after all...
Old 24 October 2014, 09:01   #13

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Polspear

Cheeky question perhaps but what are going to do with the donor sib once you have striped it of the required hypolon?

I have a Rover 3.10 with the same rubbing strike. My strake has lost its colour and I have had plenty of ideas from the collective on here as to how to restore it. It would be nice to try these ideas out on some scrap before damaging the stuff on the actual boat.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Where are you based?

Thanks

Toby
Old 28 October 2014, 23:06   #14

Hello Ribtecer,
I don't mind at all, however I'm not sure if it's worth your effort. I wasn't planning on spending time and energy on unglueing the rubbing strake, for now the SIB as thypical donnor is resting in the garage, waiting for me to do something. My honest advise is to unglue the old r.s. and glue the new one. It can be bought for 5 pounds per m on Ebay (actualy I am thinking of doing the same with mine). I think, refurbishing the old rubber will be a nightmare and final result will be disappointing. However if u insist I am based in Cardiff, tell me how big piece you have in mind and we'll think of something.
Old 29 October 2014, 07:40   #15

Town: ipswich
Make: Gemini Cat 2 Exsurfr
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 30hp
Nice technique Polspear, with the ratchet straps, oh and all the other bits. It looks like you know your way around these repairs, I possibly could be doing the same job.
I greedily bought a Achilles 3.5 or something and need to do some work also, replace the transom. Do you know any threads or links? I just joined and printed of Nugents advice on glueing hypalon. Also when do you give up, my goal is to take me the and kids about 2kms from the port of brisbane to st Helena island. The boat in question looks good for its age, has some slow leaks ( over a week), and a dodgy transom. I will again contact the Achilles people in Sydney the next time I get it down for a more in depth photo shoot, they assured me of any technical help but I prefer the advice of fellow poacher to a game keeper, hope that came out all right no offence to the redfern boys if they read this.
Old 29 October 2014, 20:03   #16

Hello shedsmith,
Thanks, My opinion of that work is not so high but for a first time it will do.
The rachet strap seemed to be reasonable but you have to be very careful and not to tighten to much otherwise the fabric in glued area will not be smooth.
Quote:
Do you know any threads or links?
Of course, the best one is done by A1an (respect):
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/1978-avo...ion-47971.html

immaculate work! way better than mine! you will find everything there.
As for Achilles 3.5 I do not know this boat but from what I see in google, it's a bit different construction. I think it is similar to Bombard (correct me if I'm wrong) and it's a bid more tricky- The ply transom is connected to tubes with rubber joint only. Reconstruction of the joint is tricky (I think).
The best thing about avon SR (and what makes them so popular even now) is simplicity of construction, it doesn't require any hi-tech equipment
Old 09 March 2015, 23:06   #17

Ok, I think I'm almost ready for the season:

Must take it out for a test drive! fingers crossed
Old 10 March 2015, 12:15   #18

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Be proud of your work. To me it looks well. I find that I spend a lot of time and sometimes money on "improving my rib". I get as much pleasure form being working on the rib as using it.

TSM
Old 10 March 2015, 21:53   #19

Thanks mick,
That's the whole fun isn't it? I've prepared it for the beginning of the season but already have few upgrades in mind. I gotta stop my need for tinkering for now and have some fun with what I've got 'cos otherwise I will never get to using the boat. That's what i did last summer, when I realized what crap condition it was I started refurbishment in august and lost half of the season! (but to be fair it really wasn't safe with 60 hp engine bolted to rotten transom). Now it's time for enjoying the results of 6 months work!
Old 10 March 2015, 22:00   #20

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
it looks great to me, go enjoy it