Old 01 August 2017, 02:14   #1

Town: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Michigan with Zodiac Hurricane 380

I just picked this up a few days ago, not planned. It has a leak in the front tube and a few other things need to be address but overall should be a fun boat.

Does anyone know where to get those steering consoles made of the aluminum tube? Everywhere I look they are out of stock.

Here are some pictures.

Old 09 September 2017, 03:22   #2

Town: Montreal / Sambro
Length: 4m +
Im looking at purchasing a hurricane rib380 which is almost identical to your boat. Finding very little information online. Can you share any leads ? I can't even decifer if it pvc or hypalon. Thanks in acvance. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9852.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	121749Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9857.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	121750
Old 09 September 2017, 11:53   #3

Town: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Hi there, I wasn't able to find any information online either and I spent a good amount of time looking. It's a nice dinghy though, big tubes and that deep V. The seller of mine said it was the sport model for this line buts that's about all I could get out of him.
Old 09 September 2017, 11:54   #4

Thanks ! Do you think it's hypalon or pvc ?
Old 09 September 2017, 12:56   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by amreame View Post
Hi there, I wasn't able to find any information online either and I spent a good amount of time looking. It's a nice dinghy though, big tubes and that deep V. The seller of mine said it was the sport model for this line buts that's about all I could get out of him.
Wow, uncommon boat.

Thermobonded Strongan PVC, with adhesive bonded accessories and fiberglass connections.

I'd run a jockey seat in it for max comfort and deck space.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2017, 19:39   #6

The adhesive bonds holding the grip lines strip and the outer handles are just about done. Do you think I can use my 2 part hypalon glue to hold them back on ? I have lots of experience with hypalon repair but never touched pvc. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9866.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	121751
Old 09 September 2017, 19:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlsambro View Post
The adhesive bonds holding the grip lines strip and the outer handles are just about done. Do you think I can use my 2 part hypalon glue to hold them back on ? I have lots of experience with hypalon repair but never touched pvc. Attachment 121751
"Hypalon glue", which is usually a polychloroprene adhesive mixed with an isocyanate crosslinker, is not compatible with plastomer material. Elastomers only.

It'll hold for a short time, but the natural plasticizer migration of the plastomer material will turn the adhesive in to gummy residue in about a year with poor peel strength.

A 2 part PVC adhesive, polyurethane base with an isocyanate crosslinker should be used.

Removing all old adhesive before bonding is mandatory.

Pre wiping with MEK at least 3 times, 5 min between wipes, with a max 10 min before applying adhesive is mandatory.
Old 09 September 2017, 20:02   #8

Thank you for you insights ! Would a boat with delimitation of accessories such as this be prone to other delaminations ? I have little knowledge of rib zodiacs and their weak points. The tubes look good to me underneath and seem properly adhered to the fiberglass hull and the transom. Anywhere else I should be attentive to ? Any advice welcome.
Old 09 September 2017, 21:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlsambro View Post
Thank you for you insights ! Would a boat with delimitation of accessories such as this be prone to other delaminations ? I have little knowledge of rib zodiacs and their weak points. The tubes look good to me underneath and seem properly adhered to the fiberglass hull and the transom. Anywhere else I should be attentive to ? Any advice welcome.
Pedantic moment for me;
Delamination refers to the loss of coating from the support cloth (delamination of the ply)

In this case, it is simply "ungluing / debonding".

Given the age of the craft, it is likely that all adhesive bonded surfaces will have strength levels that fall below minimums, due to natural oxidization, environmental attack, and plasticizer migration.

I would strongly recommend inspecting all bonded surfaces. The minimum adhesion strength should be about 15 lb per inch.

Tags
zodiac