Old 07 October 2018, 07:53   #1

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Lonely

I currently do my boating from Plymouth where I have been as far as Falmouth, Jersey and Exemouth all on my lonesome without an auxiliary! I find there are very few ribbers that do anything where as in the Solent and the North west there are plenty of events - round Anglesey, round I O W etc. In view of this I am thinking of two options - buy an auxiliary (joking) or move to the Solent / South Coast area where there is more action and also a new cruising area. What I will do is keep my RIB in an indoor Drystack, are there many/any in that area and what are the pros and cons of each or can any local ribbers to that area point me to a better option��
Old 07 October 2018, 08:04   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
Have a look at Southampton Dry Stack
Old 07 October 2018, 08:16   #3

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Hi Sutty, Southampton dry stack were the cheapest dry storage when I was looking. Only not leaving the boat there because it’s still to expensive for me [emoji23]

If you fancy some cruising company next summer let me know, can bring my rib along
Old 07 October 2018, 09:05   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
I currently do my boating from Plymouth where I have been as far as Falmouth, Jersey and Exemouth all on my lonesome without an auxiliary! I find there are very few ribbers that do anything where as in the Solent and the North west there are plenty of events - round Anglesey, round I O W etc. In view of this I am thinking of two options - buy an auxiliary (joking) or move to the Solent / South Coast area where there is more action and also a new cruising area. What I will do is keep my RIB in an indoor Drystack, are there many/any in that area and what are the pros and cons of each or can any local ribbers to that area point me to a better option��
"Lonely"?...I thought you may have been on about Col Callans side Kick in the 70's

It sounds like you've just not crossed paths with people doing much stuff in the South West very much...and maybe you should think about being more pro-active?

IMO (and experience) there's certainly no reason to move location... After all it's not really that far you're talking about,and within EASY distance for Towing,or a even a weekend Cruise.

I see you joined Ribnet a few years ago but haven't posted much...and plenty of people like to do Solo stuff....you haven't mentioned the Scillies on you're list.. I know plenty of Ribbers who would LOVE to have that Top Criusing location within easy reach

My advice would be get in the mix..( maybe consider joining BIBOA) pm a few on here..get networking ...service the Trailer ...save you're money on the Dry stack and put/get yourself about a bit more.
Our Cruising ground stretches from the Scillies to Scotland Irland and and France
You have a capable RIB and there's a VERY BIG Coastline to explore...But it won't come to you!

Drop me a PM I'm looking at a Plymouth launch over the Autumn...for a Scillies trip

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2018, 09:36   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Lonely

Personally I like the solitude of being out on the sea & not seeing another soul. In today’s overcrowded world it’s a relief to get away from the hustle-bustle & knobheads. Savour your peace & quiet, it’s priceless.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2018, 10:23   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Personally I like the solitude of being out on the sea & not seeing another soul. In today’s overcrowded world it’s a relief to get away from the hustle-bustle & knobheads. Savour your peace & quiet, it’s priceless.

Pikey Dave is a wise man - a cruise in company can be nice for a change, but boating offers the ability to get away from everyone else. Would it not be less dramatic to organise a cruise in company where you currently are than moving your base. You may discover that working to other people’s schedule, dealing with their personalities etc is less appealing than you think. There did used to be quite a group of people who got together in that part of the world - some big personalities there - they even had their own forum!
Old 07 October 2018, 14:29   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
+1
Old 07 October 2018, 14:58   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Sutty - how have you missed the Pasty run, the lighthouse run, the Salcome event, the Gin and Biscuits at Cotehele??

There are a number of us that regularly run out of Plymouth (I'm going tomorrow, Paul was out Friday and a couple were heading to Torquay today ) we put the key events up on here and keep in touch via facebook.

Feel free to come join us as there is loads going on this end.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote