Old 24 July 2013, 22:49   #1

Jet rib advice for a novice

Hello, I'd really appreciate some advice from people who know what they are talking about

I'm looking for an alternative to a jet ski so that I can take my partner and 2 kids out on the water to 'play', have some fun and generally potter about/tow a water skier etc. I've been looking at Avon Sea Sport 320 Jet Ribs (2004 approx £4k in price) and i've also found a Novurania-500-lp-turbo-diesel-rib.

I've found a few videos on you tube and they look great fun but I'd appreciate views, pros/cons, suggested alternatives etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 July 2013, 23:21   #2

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
Im no expert and only have experiance of a Halmatic Pacific 32, nightmare to keep in a straight line at slow speed, but can be done with experiance, I believe the same is true for most jet drives.
Old 24 July 2013, 23:30   #3

Thanks for this - useful to know and to ask about when making buying enquiries.
Old 24 July 2013, 23:34   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by upton68 View Post
Hello, I'd really appreciate some advice from people who know what they are talking about
welcome - you might be in the wrong place though for knowledgable advice!
Quote:
I'm looking for an alternative to a jet ski so that I can take my partner and 2 kids out on the water to 'play', have some fun and generally potter about/tow a water skier etc. I've been looking at Avon Sea Sport 320 Jet Ribs (2004 approx £4k in price) and i've also found a Novurania-500-lp-turbo-diesel-rib.

I've found a few videos on you tube and they look great fun but I'd appreciate views, pros/cons, suggested alternatives etc.

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a particular reason for focussing on jet ribs rather than traditional outboards?

The Novurania has an 'unusual' deck layout for a RIB. There is a lot of hard surfaces about and not many hand holds - which isn't ideal for a 'play toy'.

The Sea Sport is obviously much smaller. I wonder if the price is right - it sounds cheap (but I don't know - what the going rate is) - if they seem to cheap be very wary of scams, there are a lot out there.
Old 25 July 2013, 01:06   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
The Seasport is about right in price if it's the 2 stroke 80hp(ish) motor. It's little more than a jetski with tubes though. I suspect towing a skier would drag it all over the place.

They go like hot snot. However, you'll soon want a bigger one as soon as you see a slight swell. You really wouldn't want to put kids in one either-they are as bouncy as a sit down jetski.

I suspect you'd do better with an outboard powered boat too.

If you're looking at the Novurania jet ribs at £4k, forget it. They're scams. £15k+ is more like it.
Be careful of scammers if you're looking in the £4k price range-it's the main price range they use for some reason. Don't pay for anything you haven't seen!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 02:15   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by miccheck1516 View Post
Im no expert and only have experiance of a Halmatic Pacific 32, nightmare to keep in a straight line at slow speed, but can be done with experiance, I believe the same is true for most jet drives.
I'm thinking most Pacs had Vospower or PP jets (same things) on them and the thrust isn't as focused on these ( nightmare)as on a Hamilton, Aqua jet or a Castoldi which are better drives at slow speed and certainly have better reversing buckets on them. In general Jets are a bit more wobbly than props because they have no rudder or steering blade (on the bottom of an outboard) but you get the hang of it fairly quickly.

You can improve your boats straight line handling by addin a small keel to the Jet drive bracket. I doesn't have to be more than a 10 triangle of Ali and the keeps the boat going a lot straighter

Sorry OP I don't know anything about petrol inboard Jet boats
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 07:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
welcome - you might be in the wrong place though for knowledgable advice!

Do you have a particular reason for focussing on jet ribs rather than traditional outboards?

It was more a safety thing - no blade exposed etc

The Novurania has an 'unusual' deck layout for a RIB. There is a lot of hard surfaces about and not many hand holds - which isn't ideal for a 'play toy'.

Great point and not really thought of that. I know they are used as tenders and I suppose that's it main function.

The Sea Sport is obviously much smaller. I wonder if the price is right - it sounds cheap (but I don't know - what the going rate is) - if they seem to cheap be very wary of scams, there are a lot out there.
The ones I've been looking at for a similar age (2004) all seem to be around the £4-5k price.

Thanks for your advice and thoughts too. Much appreciated
Old 25 July 2013, 07:43   #8

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Ive had 4 of them now over the last 10 years.Where shall i start... Not the best that Avon have produced.. the fixtures and fittings crack... Bloody Noisy and i mean it. doubt you could ski off them,2 people Max and that would be a wet ride..but for a few hours in a day the 2 strokes are brilliant fun.But useless in the chop. they do sit on top of the waves whereas jet skiis sit deeper down as no tubes to hold em up so Jet Skiis do get more drive and Porpoise less.
The Four strokes are quieter more expensive and go like stink, 50 mph is achievable but the engines are weak, the oil is very special grade £60 per 4 litres or worse and Dealer hate servicing them due to inaccessibility. webber twin cyl turbo..Parts are eye wateringly expensive.
Apart from these negatives they are a laugh tho..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I phone Pics, Sept 2012 135.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	83229  
Old 25 July 2013, 07:52   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by upton68 View Post
The ones I've been looking at for a similar age (2004) all seem to be around the £4-5k price.

Thanks for your advice and thoughts too. Much appreciated
I did a quick google search for the Novuranias.

All the ones around £4-5k in price look very much like scams, and there's one on a scam webste too (ribba.co.uk-the same scam website used again and again with different domains) You're highly unlikely to find anything at all with an inboard diesel for that price unless it's a scam or a basket case.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 08:14   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
It was more a safety thing - no blade exposed etc
I've been donked on the head by a boat at slow speed it hurts. Personally I'd much rather be picked up by a competent helmsan in a boat with a prop than a jetboat with someone inexperienced on the helm. Yes props are dangerous but the risk can be significantly reduced with common sense, training and experience. Taking the blade away does not make a high speed lump of fibreglass fundamentally safe.

Either way you need your kill cord on and I suggest some training from RYA or similar.
Old 25 July 2013, 08:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

I've been donked on the head by a boat at slow speed it hurts. Personally I'd much rather be picked up by a competent helmsan in a boat with a prop than a jetboat with someone inexperienced on the helm. Yes props are dangerous but the risk can be significantly reduced with common sense, training and experience. Taking the blade away does not make a high speed lump of fibreglass fundamentally safe.

Either way you need your kill cord on and I suggest some training from RYA or similar.

Thanks for this. I've had a number of years experience with PWC/jet skis and completed RYA courses in PWC handling as well as Safety Boats when supporting dinghy sailing competitions. My lack of experience is more to do with venturing out further from jet skis.