Old 31 January 2017, 17:24   #41

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Not an expert but Ali welding seems to be a bit messey in a lot of cases when I had my seat bases done the welding was sound but the finish of the weld cap very rough I rotary filed mine with a desuter bit until smooth then had it painted just poor quality control IMO
Old 08 March 2017, 12:26   #42

Town: Alcester
Boat name: Shy Talk
Make: Highfield OM460t
Engine: Honda 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian9525 View Post
Highfield will supply one I am told,(£500) but they want me to take the boat to them for fitting, a round trip of more than 400 miles, they tell me they can be fiddly to fit, there are 12 drilled and tapped holes in the boat that already have the stainless bolts in them, easy as Pie, when I asked them to send me the frame I was completely ignored, more than once, so I tried other Highfield dealers around the country and was largely ignored or referred back to the main man, Harrison, in Southampton... The boat is good for what I want, but the after sale service is awful in my opinion. I am going to have one made from Ally and have it powder Coated.
I have owned this Highfield OM460 for a few months now and had a good look at it.. there are things I dont like and had I known about them I would not have bought it..the fibreglass console has seriously thin Gel in places and is fastened to the ally deck with 12 pop rivets !!... the console seat sits in a crudely cut hole on the top of the console with no finished edges or seal of any kind so water finds it way inside every time... the electrics which are standard fit (Boat is a 2014) are a birds nest with some on the deck so not good re corrosion/shorting etc... there is always a strong smell of fuel inside the console which scares the pants off me.. . a roughly cut slot in the deck has been cut (and left ragged)for the steering/throttle/gears and battery cables to pass to pop out at the rear near the transom with the cheapest witches hat I have ever seen... overall the finish is poor.. the hull powder coat seems OK to date in fairness... As I have stated in previous threads the after service through Hendy group and Steve Harrison has been dire.. I have just been completly ignored regarding buying an A frame.. he did reply on one occasion telling me to take the boat to them in Southampton for fitting because they are "Fiddly".. I replied that I am well capable of fitting one should he send it by post to avoid a 400 mile round trip on the trailer.. I was simply ignored.. NOT A HIGHFIELD FAN TO SAY THE LEAST.
Old 08 March 2017, 13:35   #43

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
That's a shame. I'd quite liked the look of their Classic 380 if we ever went to trailing a boat again.
Old 08 March 2017, 15:53   #44

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
NOT A HIGHFIELD FAN TO SAY THE LEAST.

Not many people are dude
Old 08 March 2017, 16:51   #45

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
That's a shame. I'd quite liked the look of their Classic 380 if we ever went to trailing a boat again.
at first glance they do look ok its not until you starting digging about and vision yourself in the thing that you realise they aren't the best bosuns locker have had their 460 sitting in the showroom for 2 1/2 years now I was in the other day looking for a small tender and they had a highfield tender sitting on the shop floor for a new piece of kit it was as rough as hell
Old 08 March 2017, 16:55   #46

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Oh double shame. My liking the look of them was based on their website images... not really seen one in the flesh. Well apart from briefly talking to a couple with a smaller one as a yacht tender... they were over the moon with theirs.
Old 08 March 2017, 17:35   #47

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Oh double shame. My liking the look of them was based on their website images... not really seen one in the flesh. Well apart from briefly talking to a couple with a smaller one as a yacht tender... they were over the moon with theirs.

I had a poke about in one at SBS a couple of years ago, a little 5.5m ish with a cuddy. It was rough as..... It said a lot about the brand when they put that kind of rubbish on a show stand.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2017, 17:56   #48

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Like Pd says. if you a Rib-nob connoisseur and recognise quality you will look elsewhere. I poked around one and it was awful to say the least.
Old 08 March 2017, 18:05   #49

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Like Pd says. if you a Rib-nob connoisseur and recognise quality you will look elsewhere. I poked around one and it was awful to say the least.
I didn't know Puff Daddy was into RIB's....then again when I think about it..

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 10:09   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Speak to Dave down at Sea Swift boats, he had a number of A frames that would be suitable last time I was down there as they were coated.

Contact | SeaSwift Boats
Thanks for the info.. I contacted Dave at Swift Boats and as a result went to Newton Abbot and bought one from him, it was made by Highfield and was for a OM460, but it didnt quite fit,but was very close... probably a different year, my boat is a 2014 model.... however all I needed was two blocks of Aluminium with drilled holes and the frame is now fitted nice and snug. A big thanks to Dave who sold me the frame, it is the upgraded type that has a combined seat (with cushion and backrest) and I got it for £450 !!!.. Highfield in Southampton quoted me £500 for the basic one (No seat) and wanted me to take the boat to them for fitting, (400 miles round trip towing the boat)..when I asked if they would post it to me I was completely ignored, the main man is ignorant to say the least.
Old 12 May 2017, 10:34   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
I would say the welds were probably strong enough but if they had smeared some sealer over the weld to make it look better I wouldn't have noticed it on a brand new boat with no clutter in the lockers etc it stuck out like a sore thumb
The Hull and welding are OK... just not the neatest I have seen, its all the other parts like the fibreglass seat /Helm Gel coat is thin in places, the electrics on my boat were in a dire state even though it was only 2 yrs old and used in fresh water only, the fitted switch panel was not even IP66.. and very cheap Chinese tat, two of the switches were corroded beyond repair and U/S.. there was a strong smell of fuel inside the console from the ally fuel tank, lots of loose wires rolling around in contact with each other, in my opinion a very dangerous situation, one small spark and ...BOOM.. The console seems to be fitted to the deck with Self tappers. I am going to have to remove the console, find out where the fumes are escaping from and do a complete re-wire to make it safe.. From past experience with trying to talk to Highfield dealers they wont be able to offer any info regarding the fuel tank under the deck to enable me to secure the console properly without puncturing the tank etc . So I will have to remove it myself and put things right.. at least I know it will be safe then.
Old 12 May 2017, 16:27   #52

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian9525 View Post
Thanks for the info.. I contacted Dave at Swift Boats and as a result went to Newton Abbot and bought one from him, it was made by Highfield and was for a OM460, but it didnt quite fit,but was very close... probably a different year, my boat is a 2014 model.... however all I needed was two blocks of Aluminium with drilled holes and the frame is now fitted nice and snug. A big thanks to Dave who sold me the frame, it is the upgraded type that has a combined seat (with cushion and backrest) and I got it for £450 !!!.. Highfield in Southampton quoted me £500 for the basic one (No seat) and wanted me to take the boat to them for fitting, (400 miles round trip towing the boat)..when I asked if they would post it to me I was completely ignored, the main man is ignorant to say the least.
Ideal - Dave sold me my current toy and more than happy with the service to date.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote