Old 19 July 2017, 09:19   #1

Town: Torquay
Length: 5m +
Hi from Torquay & some advice wanted please

Hi all,

I moved from Bristol 3 years ago and absolutely loving living by the Devon coast. Last year I bought a fishing kayak and have been out whenever the conditions have been right. Absolutely hooked (pardon the pun).

I'd now like to upgrade to a RIB and have been looking at moorings in Torquay (on versadock). I have been looking at the BRIG Eagle 580 and more recently the Grand Goldenline 580. I'll be restricted to 6m because of the mooring size. What I like about the two models above is the bench seats and how comfortable they look. Mostly I'll be in the bay here or around the Salcombe / Dartmouth areas but I'd like to do trips further afield eventually.

Does anybody have experience with these ribs or would recommend any others to look at? Any help or advice that doesn't come from a salesperson would be much appreciated

Many thanks
H
Old 19 July 2017, 09:36   #2

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
That's one hell of an upgrade! No relevant experience to help though.
Old 19 July 2017, 09:45   #3

I don't tend to do things by halves
Old 19 July 2017, 17:10   #4

Town: Staplehurst
Boat name: Rib
Make: Humber
Engine: Outboard
I commend you for taking the step up. Believe me a rib between 5 and 6 mtrs is easy to handle, especially in protected waters. I started with a 5 mtr Humber Assault. Great boat but having just moved up to a Brig 5.7 Navigator it is now so much easier. The ride is better and it doesn't upset the passengers. You will soon find that those comfy looking bench seats are OK just as long as it is dead calm. As soon as it gets a bit choppy the jockey seats are best because one can half stand with knees a little bent, like skiing on water! Don't go for an engine bigger than 90 hp until you have some more sea miles under your belt cos you will only end up frightening yourself and the pax. Most importantly enjoy! and learn....
Old 19 July 2017, 18:19   #5

Thanks for the advice. I'm also looking at the Ribeye A550. It's just so hard to distinguish between them all. Will take my time anyway while I wait for a mooring in Torquay harbour. Ultimately I think it'll come down to cost and how good the company is to deal with as they all seem to be in a similar class.
Old 28 July 2017, 17:11   #6
SLJ

Town: Cheltenham, UK
Boat name: The Dougal
Make: Brig
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 60
Hi

I looked at Brig, Grand and Ribeye. After doing all the homework I concluded that while Grand and Ribeye were good, Brig offered the best overall RIB for my needs. I rib out of Salcombe, so close to Brig UK location. The after sales service etc is first class. In addition I recently took part on the first ever Brig UK owners day which saw 11 Brigs of all models and sizes head of for the day. More events in the planning, so quite an active social scene!

BTW: Brig recently delivered a 7.8 meter RIB to a customer in Torquay. You may want to get more information from Brig U.K.

Best
Old 29 July 2017, 09:28   #7

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We do very much love the Brigs and they've been very lovely to us so far. I think for us now it'd between the Brig Eagle and the Grand Goldenline and it'll just come down to cost and what's included in the purchase. We are yet to get out on the water on either yet but will hopefully get a chance to do so very soon. We are absolutely itching to get on the water, I've been looking at nothing else for the last couple of months!

Doing some online RYA courses in preparation for doing the Powerboat Level 2 so we aren't a liability when we do get out on the water Hopefully bump into you (not literally) out of Salcombe one day in the near future.

Cheers!
Old 02 August 2017, 17:17   #8

Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Hi Hantastic,
We moved down here a while back too, great place to live. Ive probably seen you out on the water loads already, always out on the old paddleboard.See you out and about
Oly