Old 29 June 2018, 21:47   #1

Town: Little Easton
Boat name: Cheese
Make: Excel Virago
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 60H
Hi from sunny essex

Evening all, I’ve just joined the group and thought I’d introduce myself. I’m Rob. My wife Sarah and I have just upgraded to a shiny new 4.2m RIB with a Mercury 60. I live in sunny essex near Stansted airport. I was wondering if people could tell me of good place to go on the essex/Suffolk coast with easy launching facilities. It appears you have to join a club in the frinton/clacton area.
Any tips on locations would be greatly appreciated. I pick the boat up in 3 weeks and am very excited!
Indeed, any tips on anything would be appreciated.
Old 30 June 2018, 08:10   #2

Town: ipswich
Boat name: Red Line
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp tohatsu
Fist of all Welcome to Ribnet!

Levington has a good slip which you can launch and retrieve at almost all states of tide for access to the river orwell / stour.
It would be worth downloading the Navonics app if you don’t already have it! On a calm day we often go to frinton and anchor up on the beach it’s not to far from levington in terms of Nm.

For Brightlingsea area I have always launched at Morgan and Sons Ltd. they have great facilities and will also launch you with their tractor for a small fee!

In terms of safety aspects, make sure you have a VHF radio hand held will be ok and I recommend doing the VHF operation course to qualify you to use one if you haven’t already ?

Make sure you carry an anchor it can become extremely handy if you break down!

Having an in-line fuel filter and spare tank would also be sensible. The number one cause of breakdowns for outboards is dirty fuel. If you have a fuel filter & water separator you can almost eliminate this

I’m sure you’ll love it, Enjoy [emoji106]
Old 01 July 2018, 11:46   #3

Town: Little Easton
Boat name: Cheese
Make: Excel Virago
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 60H
Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’m doing the VHF course at the moment and am booked on to the Power Boat level 2.
The other tips are great thanks. I’ll get the app.